My first post, my first Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

My first post, my first Jem

Hi guys

just wanted to say hello, and to tell you all of my new Jem !!

i read almost every thread going back through the archives about the 555, some said good, some said bad, so i tried one at my local music store, and it felt pretty good ( I already have an RG560 ) so i bought it, only after they got a professional setup on it, and its great !! sure, the LoPro has a bit more "give" than the Edge, but its not to shabby at all.

I am pleased !! one happy Scotsman ...

thanx to all for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:58 AM

Congratulations man;

Your part of our family now... Dont worry about having a jem 555... Sometimes Steve Vai himself play with some... So, it's not a bad guitar at all...
But remember : your next buy (or try) has to be a jem with a 7 on it (7, 77, 777) it's a great experience too

Welcome again...
JS
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 04:27 AM

Welcome to the club!

There are certanly mixed feelings about the 555. Some like it, others hate it. Personally I'm not a big fan of it, I'd go with an used 777 instead. But most important is that you like it. So congratulations on the JEM Jr!

BTW, the 555 has got an Lo-TRS II tremolo, not an edge.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:16 AM

555 with an edge

Hmmm...i wouldnt mind a black 555 with an edge tremlo.... *ponders*

Rob
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

thanx for welcome guys ....

but i dont think you read my post right !! i know the 555 has a Lo Pro, thats why i compared it to the Edge on my 560, hey .... maybe i can put the Edge on the 555 ?? but that would mean routing maybe ??
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:27 AM

hmmm

Its possible if you bought your 555 second hand that its been modded and has an edge trem.... but... if you bought it in a store, i have bad news for you...there are no production 555s with Edge trems...they all have the LO TRS II, there is a reason for the price difference in the 555s and the 7V/ 7VBSL/ 7DBK/ 77FP/ and part of that reason is the tremlo, which is certainally not an edge, or lo pro trem.

Rob
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:17 AM

Back in the freelance game music days when it seemed money fell from the sky is when I got my 90HAM.. I very seriously considered a 555 given that I was (and mostly still am) a novice guitar player.

But since my quest for a 77GMC I've been reading voraciously on Jemsite and Universal Jems about these guitars, and took a trip to Guitar Center, and realize that there's quite a noticeable difference when playing, even for a novice, between a Lo TRS and a Lo Pro.

Nevertheless, imo you've got a great guitar to start with and I think the 555s are a good way to introduce someone to a Jem, since honestly finding a used 7 or 777 is tough to do under 1k. Once you consider yourself a pretty good player, trade up and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how your skills meld with a standard Jem.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:42 AM

to start with!"!!!??!?!?!

Damn right its a great guitar to start with...
i started with a 'Fender' Squier Strat .....
think yourself damn lucky if you start off with a jem555!!!
having said that...i have a couple jems now, so i cant complain...hopefully getting one more in a couple days...hmmm sparkle blue...

Rob
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

who said i was starting off ?!?!? am 32 now, been playing since i was 12 !

had a couple of Ibanex Gee-tars this is my first Jem

Sure i can tell the difference with the Lo PRo and the edge, the Edge is alot more responsive, and less spongey, but the Lo-Pro has coped with everything i have thrown at it so
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:51 AM

whoops...

no offense meant there...32..lol...somehow i got the impression from somewhere on that thread we were talking about a beginner......hmmm... oh well...my mistake... lol

Rob
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 12:14 PM

athlon, do you really have a Lo-Pro on your 555?? I think this caused a bit of confusion here, since the 555 is normally equipped with a Lo-TRS II, which is NOT the same as a Lo-Pro. Check THIS.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 04:23 PM

Well the 555s Ive played that have been modified with edge trems smoked, and could hold their own so to speak. Im currently trying to get my hands on a black 555 and Im gonna put a complete set, tuners nut and all of grey powder coat edge hardware on that sucker. So if anyone is selling one email me
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:44 PM

Apologies for the assumption athlon

You probably could kick my a$$ all over the place guitarwise then.. 18 years to my 7...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:47 AM

Here's where the confusion is:

He thinks the Lo-TRS and the Lo-Pro are the same (or is getting them confused). The Lo-TRS is like a cheaper Lo-Pro. The Lo-Pro is EXACTLY THE SAME QUALITY as the Edge, just slightly different design.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: My first post, my first Jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon

Hi guys

just wanted to say hello, and to tell you all of my new Jem !!

i read almost every thread going back through the archives about the 555, some said good, some said bad, so i tried one at my local music store, and it felt pretty good ( I already have an RG560 ) so i bought it, only after they got a professional setup on it, and its great !! sure, the LoPro has a bit more "give" than the Edge, but its not to shabby at all.

I am pleased !! one happy Scotsman ...

thanx to all for your advice.
Congrats and welcome to Jemsite! Maybe you'll show up to one of the many "Jemjams" around the country...

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , local music store , music store , squier strat , standard jem , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode