My guitar doesn’t stay in tune anymore. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Even though my bridge was toi forward, at least, the thing would stay in tune like 99% of the time.

After I tried to lower the angle and action myself. I probably messed up whatever setup the guy did before which was working despite the bad angle and now is always go out of tune even when not using the bar at all.

I tune the guitar, stretch and tune, lock the tuners and boom after a few seconds, it goes out of tune. Its not the locking nut.

I released the tension of the strings by detuning considerably before the angle and height adjustments I did.

The action is much lower than I like but I don’t want to mess with it again. And the bridge is still forward but not as much as before.

What could it causing not to stay in tune now? It has to be that whole intonation is now wrong since I adjusted action and angle blindly basically since I don’t have experience.

Its very unlikely I have ruined the edges, but I released the tension of the strings with the headstock tuners. I didn’t unlock anything on the bridge lockers which is what you do when changing strings.

The whole setup I ended up with is wrong and I guess that’s why it doesn’t stay in tune lol

I found another tech with more experience. He is my last hope. I called him and unlike the others who don’t give a crap, he seems very helpful and willing to give a good service. I’m hoping he gets it right and he can be the tech I can trust for years.

We’ll see otherwise I’ll just buy an evertune guitar. I’m tired of never being in tune.

All these happened for following the advice of jemsite about adjusting my bridge even though my guitar was staying in tune for like 3 weeks without me having to tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 05:16 PM

Re: My guitar doesn’t stay in tune anymore.

I last tuned my 7V in February when I last stringed it up, no reason to swap them out with COVID. Locking bridges don't go out of tune often unless you've done something wrong.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I last tuned my 7V in February when I last stringed it up, no reason to swap them out with COVID. Locking bridges don't go out of tune often unless you've done something wrong.
No reason to change strings because of covid? You had the same string since February? How much do you play a day?

Yes I did something wrong. I adjusted things that I shouldn’t have. I have no action gauge. I adjusted blindly but at least I released the tension of the strings like 2 or 3 steps down just in case not to put any wear on the edges.

I really don’t want to give up on these guitar. I like them and using the bar. I’m just no handy and suck at these things. I must have to take it to a tech who knows what he is doing.

Even I knew that my bridge was too forward hence I made that thread I suspected it but didn’t want to argue with the guy but heck at least the thing was staying in tune

Either way. I’m really considering buying one of these evertunes as a second guitar. This is the only electric guitar i have

The solar guitars that come with it are nice with stainless steel frets and ebony fretboards.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Re: My guitar doesnít stay in tune anymore.

Comments deleted. Not worth it

Last edited by jds22; 12-24-2020 at 06:58 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 09:09 PM

Try a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah pedal
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2020, 01:34 PM

I haven't changes strings because all live shows got cancelled, no need until the strings actually go dead or break and they are still fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2020, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I haven't changes strings because all live shows got cancelled, no need until the strings actually go dead or break and they are still fine.
Are you playing the guitar tho

I read it should be changed every 3 months lol
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Re: My guitar doesnít stay in tune anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
Are you playing the guitar tho

I read it should be changed every 3 months lol
Yeah I play the guitar regularly, there is no rule to when you change strings. When I played live I changed them every 3-4 weeks, if I'm not playing the guitar live I will change them when I feel like it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 07:54 PM

Sorry to hear what you are going through. A FR setup by a good tech us usually 100-125. 150 tops. I would do some research on good techs who work on Floyds in your area and get it to them. Well worth the money and hassles should go away. Much cheaper than replacing it.
A properly set FR is such a joy!
Good luck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 08:20 PM

Or watch some videos on youtube on how to setup a Floyd Rise bridge. Its pretty much exactly how the Edge should be done. If nothing else, it might make you appreciate the work that goes into a proper setup for a floating bridge.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 06:56 PM

Turn the bridge posts 180 degrees using your hex key, use a toothpick or match to apply some lip balm or even Vaseline to the grooves where the knife edges sit. Then turn the posts back. Work the lube in by turning the posts back and forth a little and use the whammy. Job done.

I have a UV7777 and had the same issue. This fix worked perfectly. After I did this, the guitar stayed in perfect tune for months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode