Was my Ibanez guitar made in California? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Was my Ibanez guitar made in California?

Ive been trying to get some basic info on my S series guitar since it doesnt have a model number printed anywhere. In my search I found out that for a short time, custom guitars were being built in California. My guitar has a set in the 21st fret space that says custom made and the neck plate has the address 7101 Case Ave. N. Hollywood Ca 91605 USA. Does anyone know if that means my guitar was built there. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:23 PM

In a word- "NO". Your guitar was made in Japan as were all "S" series models (unless you're an Ibanez artist). Final setup most likely took place in the US, but that's about it.

If you do some searching elsewhere on the site you should be able to find more info on this subject
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure where I read it but these were assembled in LA from japanese parts, so they are kinda like a california built honda car, technically japanese I have a 540r-ltd jb that has the same neckplate and fretboard marking.
I knew I read it here! http://www.jemsite.com/usa/usa.htm
BTW doesn't this question belong in a different section
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 06:37 PM

Receiving a set-up is a lot different than actually being assembled. The USA Custom models were finished and ASSEMBLED in the US shop(s). The S540 and RG770 models were given final setup and detailing in the US. they were still made entirely in Japan though (aside from the IBZ/USA pickups in the 770s). Some may have received pickups in the US, some may have simply had the necks adjusted and been tuned.

The USA Customs were deemed such because there were so many options in terms of finish, inlay and electronics. Most were basic RG bodies routed for a single humbucker that were shipped over from Japan. Any additional routing, finishing, wiring and assembly were then completed in the US based on the individual order requests.

That's a far cry from being fully-assembled in Japan (like the S540s) and then being setup in the US before being sent out to dealers.

Either way, no-your guitar was NOT built in the Case Ave. custom shop. It's not a USA-made model. There's nothing "custom" about it, despite what the little plaque says. It's called MARKETING- if you put "custom" on something, then everybody who has that model of guitar will think that theirs is special.

Again, this has been discussed countless times in other threads. Try using the "Forum Search" function to find more info.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom models , custom shop , neck plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode