My Jem got messed up!!!!! - Please help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

My Jem got messed up!!!!! - Please help

OK, so I know this is totally my fault, butmy Ibanez Jem got totally whacked last night. I had an audition right after work so I brought my guitar with me and I left it in my car(I know, bad move).
Anyway, I got to my audition and the guitar wouldn't stay in tune. It kept on going flat, I even let it rest for a while to get to room temp, but it was just really embarressing and annoying. Anyway, after an hour or so I just started breaking strings!!!!! I was like, "****..." after each one broke.

My question here is, is the guitar screwed up now? I didn't see any problems with the neck. I just don't know what was going on. I've left guitars out in the cold before when I was younger, but I never had a problem like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:40 AM

My Jem got messed up!!!!!

Lol. First of all, I don't think your JEM is screwed up. Remember, it's winter, that's all. Let it warm up, restring it, or whatever, and see how it goes. Temperature and humidty are THE major causes for drastic pitch changes (Apart from drunken fumblings that whack your neck against, oh, say a bar patron's head.) I'm sure your guitar is fine. Just remember not to subject it to drastic temperature changes. Treat it like your girlfriend. You wouldn't leave HER in the car with no heat, now would ya? (Unless you're a sick, sadistic mofo! Lol!) Don't worry, your JEM will be fine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Wordwolf. Go figure, I've been playing for 15 years and I treat all of my instruments with so much respect. I can't believe that I did something so stupid and left it in my car.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:53 AM

I wouldn't worry! Just don't subject it to horrendous temperature changes like wordwolf said!

SHould be no problem if you let the guitar acclimatise before playing it.

And the string breakage jut sounds like a typical tying out nightmare when everything goes wrong
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:11 PM

i feel for you man....auditions are the worst ,i soooo not looking fwd to my next audition eeeeek scary stuff i think i will take the les paul as well as the jem to mine next audition ,that way if the jem is being all temperamental & the floyd decides to snap a few strings i will just pull out the old,bashed,beaten,black standard ,hell i will only be playing rythm anyways.*G*
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:19 AM

I'm assuming left in the car includes in the case.
Also when one string break with an Edge, the others are screwed too until you restring it.
I always check my bridge saddles before restringing to make sure no nasty grooves have formed. If they have, get a small piece of fine sandpaper and wrap is around a small metal drill bit and give it a small rub. The groove will go away and just make things as good as they can be in the saddle.

Just clean the neck, frets and bridge and restring her and (she'll? he'll?) be fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 09:10 AM

yeah, I have left my jem in the car a few times over the years!
But not to worry; the other day, I went into the shop, and the tech told me its as good as new.
No fears bro.
Just try not to do that if you can remember!

Tags
bridge saddles , ibanez jem , les paul , string breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

my gibson sg special is messed up
is my guitar jack messed up

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode