Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My Jem77fp recieved today

3K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  s1i2f3 
#1 ·
hey all, got the 77fp today, it was VERY poorly, the guy i bought it off claimed that it was all set up, no fret buzz and i will love it, YEAH RIGHT.!

There was no fret buzz because there was so much relief in the neck the machine heads were touching the bridge pickup evo2, hehehe....

Was tuned to drop c# with .10 gauge, so off they came, clear pickguard came off, out came the t-cut and auto glym super resin polish and i began polishing away as it was covered in scratches.

Re-strung with XL120`s 9 gauge, re set the trem springs to suit, lemon oiled the fretboard, strings are still settling but its ok for photos so here you are.

Its actually in really nice condition....ENJOY.!

See less See more
#3 ·
It's kinda pitiful to know that people who buy expensive guitars simply do it for show, and have no idea what exactly they have in their possession. C'mon! Drop C#? It's a guitar born to solo, dagg nabbit! It's a good thing you have it now Aeolian, I bet it'll be much happier with a more respectful owner who actually knows how to treat it well. :) Happy playing!

#4 ·
aww geee, im blushin`, but yeah it will be treated properley though, shredded properley too.....thanks for the kind words though mate...

Just recently got home n been noodling for 30 mins after a final re-tune, the action is sky high, the nut seems very high too, ive tightened the neck a touch and dropped the bridge a touch but its still high, i think i may need a wedge in the neck seat.

But its sounds fabulous, bright n clear highs, clear but chunky lows, superb, n sounds like a nice piece of wood, i was right about this being the one, with a few tweeks here n there it`ll be even better....

#13 ·
I just use normal autocar t-cut cutting compound, but not too hard, slow is best and just keep going till it shines...then wax after with Auto Glym super resin polish, does the job a treat, i would say i have eradicated 90% of any scratches & buckle rash.

Job done....

#17 ·
Well, sorry guys, I probably just don't have too much experience with drop tuning guitars. It's just probably because of my frustration towards death metal people (if you'd check out a certain Dean ad featuring some metal band playing a MAB and Cooley sig purely for riffing) that I forgot that some people simply like lower tunings, and not because they'd like to play "F*cking BR00TALZ" heavy tunes with the wrong guitar. 6fingers, you're such a sage.

In any case, great buy Aeolian ;)

#19 ·
Ok, since it's apparent that I don't know what I'm talking about, I decided to research about it and found these songs in drop C:

Bad Horsie
Building the Church (rhythm guitar)
Oooo (rhythm guitar)
There's a Fire in the House

sorry for being so ignorant about it. Frankly I haven't listened to even a quarter of Vai material, but I like him anyway :)

#22 ·
Congrats! Looks like you got it cleaned up quite nicely. I recently picked up my first JEM (7VWh) and it had a drop d tuning. The fine tuner on the low E was cranked all the way down to the tremolo plate but the string lock at the nut was loose so i dont know what that was all about. And i think it has 8's on it. Just waiting to break that high E string (T.T) b4 putting 9's on.

#27 ·
This is a 1996 or newer as i believe the pre 96`s had the pups mounted to the scratchguard, mine are mounted to the guitar body, and regarding the pickups i think they are supposed to be like that, the pups are only 1 year old as they have been upgraded to an evo on the neck and an evo2 on the bridge, same as the re-issue jemm77bfp blue floral jem.

#28 ·
That's interesting. Looking at my fp the pu's have all faded the same. I would have said that they neck and bridge are original with that fading and the middle has at least a replacement cover.

Either way, it is a great guitar. Congrats.

I am about to take mine down to PJ's in Portsmouth to sell this weekend :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.