My knob fell off... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

My knob fell off...

No really!

The volume knob and tone knob on my Uv777bk are both really loose, the volume one falling off whenever i turn it too quick. Violining is out of the question.

Is it me, or are they a little sub-standard for this kind of instrument?

So to the point - anyone got any tips for keeping them in place or any good replacements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:50 AM

It's very uncommon and black knobs are super hard to find. I'll sell you the pair for $75 + Shipping/handling/insurance

~Kenny
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:53 AM

Remove the knobs. Take a small flat-head screwdrive. CAREFULLY pry the two halves of the control shaft apart. NOT MUCH THOUGH! Very slightly. Then replace the knob. This will make the knobs fit more snugly.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
It's very uncommon and black knobs are super hard to find. I'll sell you the pair for $75 + Shipping/handling/insurance

~Kenny
Yes.

Maybe i could have phrased that more succinctly.

My implication was:- any suggestions as to replacemnt knobs that aren't as much of a pile of plastic crap as the ones that came with it, go with the style of the instrument, fit the shaft; where's a good pace to get them having never had to mail order guitar parts, anyone actually replaced their own.... etc etc.

Oh wait. That's anything but succinct.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Remove the knobs. Take a small flat-head screwdrive. CAREFULLY pry the two halves of the control shaft apart. NOT MUCH THOUGH! Very slightly. Then replace the knob. This will make the knobs fit more snugly.
Hmm thanks, i gave that a try actually. They still sit, i dunno, badly...
The cap of the knob still wobbles from side to side, as if the inside of the cap isn't linear.
I guess swapping htem is the answer.

Thanks anyway
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 01:11 PM

Perhaps you should just get some chrome dome-knob replacements? The type with a set screw on the side would probably be the best. Plus, they'd look killer on a UV777BK. You can get them online at www.stewmac.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 02:34 PM

Re: My knob fell off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseless Things
No really!

The volume knob and tone knob on my Uv777bk are both really loose, the volume one falling off whenever i turn it too quick. Violining is out of the question.

Is it me, or are they a little sub-standard for this kind of instrument?

So to the point - anyone got any tips for keeping them in place or any good replacements?
I have the same guitar, and teh same thing happenned to me a couple of weeks ago, I just pushed it back a little hard...it hasnt fallen off again!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 08:43 AM

try a little ball of blu-tack
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 12:12 PM

Try tearing the tacky edge off a Rizla paper. Take off the knob, give it a lick ( the Rizla, not the knob!) and wrap it aroung the shaft of the pot. Then put the knob back on. It's worked for me in the past. I had a guitar that was held together with rizlas and gaffa tape once upon a time!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 12:20 PM

just get yourself dome knobs. look better anyways
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 01:13 PM

I agree....I think the real question he was asking was "give me some god d*mn replacements not fixes!" But yes get some chrome-dome knobs. Black if you want them that color. They would look killer on a UV! They come with the JS series standard and I love it because you can raise or lower the knob then tighten it down with the screw. Heavy duty too...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 01:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
do this and don't worry about new knobs.

you can buy replacements from dimarzio/ibanez. these are standard plastic knobs... glen
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 01:25 PM

Another option is to turn the Jem upside down (so the face is facing the ground) and hold onto the neck real hard. Then beat the Jem against the head of a Jackson guitar player. Repeat as necessary. I am not 100% sure the knob will be fixed, but it is worth a try anyhow...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 01:30 PM

[quote]Another option is to turn the Jem upside down (so the face is facing the ground) and hold onto the neck real hard. Then beat the Jem against the head of a Jackson guitar player. Repeat as necessary. I am not 100% sure the knob will be fixed, but it is worth a try anyhow...

lol [/b]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
Try tearing the tacky edge off a Rizla paper. Take off the knob, give it a lick ( the Rizla, not the knob!) and wrap it aroung the shaft of the pot. Then put the knob back on. It's worked for me in the past. I had a guitar that was held together with rizlas and gaffa tape once upon a time!
LOL.

We brits give the best advice.

I also liked the one with the Jackson player - my best friend plays Jackson and I'll try that and let you know what happens.

Tags
chrome knobs , dome knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode