My Legacy One Jem project - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

My Legacy One Jem project

Not sure if this is where the threads belongs, but I saw some other projects here so here I am. I've hung around a while here but not joined until recently. I thought I would share my project with everyone as I don't really see any posted here. I've made several guitars over the years, but this is my first Jem. I've owned a few of them, just never made one like this. So, hope this will help anyone thinking of doing a project of their own.

Body: from Legacy One, thanks Chris! It is a two piece alder body.
Neck: from Legacy One, should arrive in a week or so.
Bridge: Cosmo Lo Pro Edge, from Ibanez Rules, thanks Rich!
Pickguard set pearl also from Ibanez Rules
other parts ****!

I"ve always liked the 7VWH, but absolutely do not like the gold. To each his own. It would cost me more to buy one and replace all the hardware and pickups, so I'm going the DIY route.

Here is the body.

Last edited by indeedido; 09-20-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: My Legacy One Jem project

Had a few burrs here and there, but overall a great body. All the Ibanez parts so far have fit perfectly.

Just a little sanding and it was ready for the sand sealer
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Deft sand sealer is the best, no doubt. I use a $5 brush, don't use the $.75 cheap brush or you'll be sanding the bristle brushes out from now til doomsday. I'm going to put on about 10 coats. Light coats. I want to be sure I have good coverage as most of it is going to be sanded off.

Here we are about 4 coats into it. The handle and lion's claw route are a pain in the ass. I'll be glad when this stage is done. I don't mind sanding, but I hate the sealer part. Very strong smelling stuff.

I plan on getting another 5 or 6 coats on today and tomorrow. I wait about an hour in between coats so it can dry before adding the next. Updates to follow
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Cool mate! It looks already good. Keep us updated.

Can't wait for the finished guitar to see.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM

nice job. Take pix of the products your using. Im doing mine a bit darker

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 AM

Is that a crack carbons2k?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm back on track. I have been busy, but am back on it. Here are a couple of products I like to use. Deft Sand Sealer is by far the best.

REMEMBER: If you are going to use lacquer paint, use a lacquer sealer. Any thing under lacquer that is oil or water based will be eaten by the lacquer. I'm using lacquer paint, so I'm using lacquer sand sealer.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm back on track. I have been busy, but am back on it. Here are a couple of products I like to use. Deft Sand Sealer is by far the best.

REMEMBER: If you are going to use lacquer paint, use a lacquer sealer. Any thing under lacquer that is oil or water based will be eaten by the lacquer. I'm using lacquer paint, so I'm using lacquer sand sealer.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Now that I have my 10 coats of sand sealer, it is time to begin sanding. I'm using 320 grit wet/dry paper, but am using it dry. You're going to want to use a sanding block or else you won't get your surface level. You'll get finger marks in it and waves. You can use a 9 volt battery wrapped in sand paper or a small wooden block, or do like I did and go to your local automotive paint shop and get a sanding block. You are also going to want to do this outside because as you sand, the sealer will turn to dust. Lots of white dust. You can see here the difference of where I have and havn't sanded.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

In the last picture above, you can see some high spots. That is what you are trying to get out. Any high spots will show once you've painted. You want them gone for a smooth factory finish.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

You'll know when you are done because all of the shiney high spots will be gone. You'll have a nice, flat, smooth surface. When you are done, wipe all the dust off with a tack cloth and blow out the cavities with a can of compressed air. Then wipe the whole thing down with either lacquer thinner or Naptha. I use Naptha. Either will work.

Once you get it wiped down really good, you are ready to prime! I like to use the white primer from guitar reranch dot com. It is awesome stuff. Goes on matte for a great surface for the paint to adhere to. I bought a can gun from the hardware store to make it easier to shoot with. Dig......

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Now for the finished primer shots, front and back

Now it is starting to look like a Jem!!!

After the primer dries for a day or so, I block sand it again to smooth out the rough surface. 320 grit again. You don't sand much, just enough to smooth it out. this primer is sandable, and works nicely. Again let the paper do the work with the sanding block. You don't want to sand through it. When you feel it is smooth, wipe down again with tack cloth and Naptha and get ready to shoot color.

I just shot the white color tonight. I'm going to hit it with another coat tonight and one again in themorning. I'd show you another pic, but it looks just like the primer shot as I'm shooting it white. I'm using automotive paint, and in fact I'm painting it bright white. I took the paint code from my wifes Toyota Highlander and am painting the same color. I'll post pics tomorrow

Last edited by indeedido; 10-03-2008 at 08:14 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Looks good man. I'm getting inspired to do one of my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode