My little JS experiment was a failure!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

My little JS experiment was a failure!!

To make a long story short a while back I sold all the hardware off of my JS1, but kep the guitar itself(BIG MISTAKE!!). So over the past year the poor guitar has sat in it`s case needing a whole new set of hardware. Little did I know that the Toplock III on a JS1 is different from the current JS1000(new JS1000 models have the multi radiused neck), and Rich was kind enough to point that out, and saved me from making the mistake of purchasing a JS1000 nut

So now here I am the owner of what I consider a rare JS(Inferno Red finish), but no locking nut. So my experiment begins(search), I`ve already tried the person I sold the original hardware to, but no dice, I`ve also tried putting a 1 5/8th(non Ibanez brand) size nut on there, but the thing was just to damn big

So finally I consult the Ibanez Japan replacement part catalogue, and notice they list the JS1000, and JS900 nut seperately. It was like as if the heavens had opened, and you could hear the singing of a thousand angels, could this be my answer!!!! First why list the nuts seperately if both models had the multi radiused neck? Second there were a couple extra Kanji in the JS900 listing so that meant there had to be some kind of difference between the two? Finally Japan does not sell the JS100 so it sure as hell couldn`t be the same.....(I hope)! So my theory: The JS900 had the same size neck as the JS1, and used the same nut.

So I went, ordered a JS900 nut, and picked it up last night! Man I was so excited, but fate would have the last laugh! Why?? Cause it is not a perfect fit!!!!!! AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Granted width wise the nut is just fine, but there is a slight overhang on the headstock side. The nut doesn`t appear to be seated correctly either(a comfortable fit). I didn`t use any shim either(came with three which was reall cool) or else it would have been to high at the lower frets!

For now I will just leave it, cause it`s a hell of alot better fit, but still I want an actual JS1 nut! I refuse to buy a JS1 just for the nut alone. That would be just as stupid as selling the hardware like I did! My only solution now is to see if I can get the shop here to call Ibanez Japan and see if they can help? Does anyone have the part number for a JS1 Toplock III? Possible some shop here, or stateside might have one sitting on there shelf collecting dust? I would greatly appreciate any responses to this post, and to my situation, and sorry to keep it this long! Thx for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Vendor

I was afraid of that. Does it have the truss channel molded into it like a 1000 nut?

Th4e JS1 nut used the 10 1/2mm pads which are the same as an R or a UV nut. I'm sure there are more models, but the problem is the 250mm radius of course.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it`s got the truss rod channel. Give me a few, and I will post some pics on my site
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Nobody knows the part number? Come on now people this is a serious matter!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Vendor

If anybody knew the part # here it would be jiberish there, the #'s are completely different in Japan and you know that!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM

pardon my ignorance, but would the part number be on the nut? i've got a JS1-W that i would be glad to take the nut off and look at it, if you think the number is there...

Tags
locking nut , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode