Is my neck too straight and truss rod messed up? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Is my neck too straight and truss rod messed up?

Good morning Jemsite!

I decided to post this here because the *problem* I'm about to explain is on my JS1000BP. And everything explained is while the guitar is unplugged

For about 8 months- 1 year, I noticed some really high pitch fret noise when I hammer on. While I know its normal to some extent, there are really specific places when I can hear it quite loud and have a feeling it kills the note.

Example:

On the first string when I do a hammer-on from B to D (7th fret to 10th...and many other areas for that matter) I can really hear the high pitch *tick* really loud and for some reasons it does the same thing on the 2nd string for the same notes (12th fret to 15th).

I know its not the frets because they're only one year old and I've had a recent file job done on them and they seem perfect. What I was thinking is that my neck was too straight so when I was doing some hammer-ons the string would hit a lower adjacent fret so it would kill the note a little bit thus reducing the sustain a lot.

Truss rod messed up?

While trying to give my neck some slight relief to fix the problem stated above, I noticed that my truss rod is loose and actually peaks out more more as I loosen it but it does nothing to the *shape* of the neck. I've had the guitar for almost 10 years and it wasn't like that before. Ohhh I can tighten it alright and have the neck concave but I can only loosen it a little with some effect to the neck before it becomes loose and peaks out more and more. I came to the conclusion that indeed something is wrong so here is 3 options that I consider:

1st. I need re-tighten the truss rod a little bit, lay down the guitar flat and put some weight on the neck so it gets some relief and that would result with having room for neck adjustment while the truss rod isn't loose so I can tighen or loosen the truss rod to my liking and have a direct change to the neck relief. (Would I need to unscrew the neck from the body or do I leave it screwed on to the guitar?)

2nd- Basically the same thing as the 1st one but give it to a luthier and ask him to heaten up my neck.

3rd- I'm a paranoia case and everything is normal?

I know some of you might say *Well, its unplugged so why should it bother you when you play with the guitar plugged since the fret sound will be masked by the volume and/or distortion?* While this is true, I know deep down inside that it's not supposed to do that and it bugs me. I want my guitar to be in perfect condition

Please, do give me some insights!!

EDIT: Neck has minimal relief. Its the fret noise that bugs me the most.

Last edited by RemyL; 05-03-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Is my neck too straight and truss rod messed up?

Um if its fret noise and fret problems, its a good indicator your fret job isn't as good as you think.....

And a neck can't be" too straight".
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

You have a good point!

Sorry for 'neck too straight' lol...didn't express myself correctly.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 11

easy check, go get yourself a TRUE straightedge and see if your frets are all level.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
easy check, go get yourself a TRUE straightedge and see if your frets are all level.
thanks!

Tags
frets , neck , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode