my new impressions of the 7d & 7v - after being a bfp owner - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

my new impressions of the 7d & 7v - after being a bfp owner

My 1 year anniversary with my first and only Jem is this week. *After becoming intimate with my guitar, i thought i'd put up this post.

I was in GC today trying out the Boss PW-10 Wah (see the thread on the 'gear' forum).

Because I wanted to get a somewhat accurate test out of it, I took the 7d off the wall - they had a 7v, but it was up a little too high and I didn't want to be pretentious.

I found the 7d to be super-lightweight. *i don't know why this is, since it's made from the same materials, other than the fretboard. *Otherwise, it felt similar to my bfp.

After about 15 minutes of play (I'd already decided to buy the wah), i said 'screw it' and got the 7v off the wall. *I told the salesman i wanted to hear it with the Evolutions, since that's what i had in my guitar. :sarcasm:

First thing i noticed was the considerable weight difference. *I'd been playing the 7d, which was light, so I don't know if it was just heavier than that guitar or heavier than mine. *Probably both, since the woods are totally different. *The second thing i noticed was the thickness of the neck. *Good god. *It was almost like a baseball bat compared to what i'm used to.

The thing that remained consistent on both guitars - especially on the 7v - and is true of all stock Jems i've played, is that the middle pickup is like boobs on a giraffe. *2-3-4 positions have such a severe dropoff in volume, that they're just useless. *I don't understand why they do that. *They supposedly are matched to the gains of the humbucker sets, but they just don't even come close.

I'm sure I'm biased, because the BFP is the guitar i spend the most time with, but it blew both of those guitars away for playability (can't be a fair judge on tone, since I wasn't playing thru a familiar rig). *The AANJ didn't make much of a difference to me - maybe it was the maple board that made the difference.

I just can't wait to take my BFP off the wall now and play her for a while *Don't ask me what the point of this post was...just venting, i guess.

~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:00 PM

Reviews: 5
my new impressions of the 7d & 7v

Hmm...unusual. *Your take on the JEM7VWH neck is kinda rare. *I've played a couple FPs, a BFP and lots of the JEM777's and they're almost always beefier than the JEM7VWH neck. *Of course, it's not a Wizard profile like the DBK. *I think the biggest thing you have to get used to with a JEM7VWH neck is how wide they are. *The string spacing is very wide on them
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 03:34 AM

thank goodness for the string spacing on the 7v neck... it's the saving grace for my stubby fingertips.

anyhow, i've said this before - i had a floor model '99 7v for quite a while 'til GC ordered a new one for me, and it had that annoying volume dropoff on 2,3,4. *the new one, a '00 felt comPLETELY different.. unfinished neck (yes, i can't explain it either.. no other 7vs i've played had one - not even ones at GC after that one), and a 100% usable middle pickup. *it feels like as though while you can tell that they're lower output (which cleans up playing clean a LOT .. 2,4 especially), there's no appreciable loss in volume.

very very nice guitar, and i'm glad to have 'er

re: the 7d .. man that neck feels .. too skinny for me. *i guess the 7v's perfect for me

~A
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

note: the 7v that I played was a 2001. *And neck-width isn't an issue for me - i prefer a wider spacing and i switch back and forth to my UV regularly.

~K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode