my new js and problems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

my new js and problems

Okay, so I didn't have the money for a 1000 and I found a cheap enough 100 on ebay. I figured if it had any major problems, that I'd save enough money to be able to fix them. No major problems except the tremolo. It seems that the tremolo never wants to return to it's original position. When I dive, it sticks just a little below in tune and when I pull it up, it sticks a little above in tune. I wish I would have known before how bad this tremolo is and my question is, can I get an edge pro tremolo for this model js and if so where? I haven't been able to find any online without buying a whole nother guitar.

Also, I bought a dimarzio fred for the bridge position and tried to wire it in. I'm not sure I did it right because the original pickup had 3 wires and the fred had 4. I tried soldering the 4 wires based off of dimarzios directions back to the same spot the previous wires were at, but that gave me a horrible tone. Especially when I pulled up on the tone knob. I downloaded the spec sheet for the js1000 wiring diagram since it uses a 4 wire pickup and it seemed to be wired into the tone knob on a different lead, so I tried that. The tone sounds somewhat better, but I thought that when you pulled the tone knob out, it was supposed to take it down to one coil. It seems it's just the opposite on mine. I get more body out of it when it's pulled up and more twangy when it's pushed in. So, can anyone give me some insight on fixing the pickup or fixing / replacing the tremolo? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:47 PM

The pickup split pot is probably just wired upside down. In other words, when you push it down, that's when it's grounding out one coil. That can be fixed by simply taking the outside wire on that switch and moving it to the other side. Like lets say the middle lug of the switch is ground, and the top lug is the two coil junction wires. Move those to the bottom lug instead. The trem deal is a reality. There are things you can do to improve your situation like getting new Ibanez studs and installing them properly, and then filing/sharpening the Lo-Trs knife edges. But it's temporary because the Lo-Trs alloys are soft and weak, so they won't hold an edge for very long. That's just a condition of the bridge. Replacing it with an Edge or Lo-Pro Edge, or an Original Floyd or Schaller Floyd would be an improvement (with good studs) and most of those require some routing or at least sanding away at the cavity to accept the baseplate of the new trem. There are lots of threads and tutorials here on this site that discuss this, I'd say start searching and ALL your questions will be answered.

Tags
bridge position , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , pro edge , pro tremolo , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode