My new js1000 btb - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

My new js1000 btb

Im new to JS's, ive been reading up on them for ages now, but never actually owned one... anyway I got my BTB today.... beautiful....
Anyway, ive wondered this for a while... where is the coil tap located? i dont mean which pickups it coil taps, i mean where is the switch to enguage it?
Also the volume knob crackles when turned, but would i be right in saying that would be one of the pots thats given up the ghost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 10:27 AM
EKG

Congrats!

The guitar is equipped with push/pull knobs. Pull up on the volume knob to engage the high pass filter and pull up on the tone knob to engage the coil tap.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:35 PM

i need enlightenment with the filter.
i didnt notice what its supposed to do, maybe the guitar i played, a NOS 2001 had some wiring problems, i dunno. when i lift the volume knob, and rolled it up or down, it didnt do anything but raising/lowering the volume. wtf?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:53 AM

Get a clean tone, back off the volume and engage the filter. That's the best way to 'discover' it.

I was quite surprised by it actually, I only upgraded from a JS100 with DiMarzios to a JS1 recently and found it makes the instrument so much more versatile.

Once you play about and explore with it, it really is great.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks EKG, but what do you think I should do about the crackling volume knob? Do you think it will just need a clean, or do you think I will need to replace a pot?
It crackles when turned, and also it fuzzes when touched.....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:43 AM

congratulations on a wonderful guitar i had the same problem with the volume knob on my BTB, just spray a little contact cleaner in there and it should be good as new... don't know why Ibanez is letting all these minor quirks escape their Prestige inspection
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Makes me wonder if they did an inspection at all.... where can I get contact cleaner... are there any brands of contact cleaner that are good?
I also found that the slightest bit of pressure on the input jack makes it cut out, and i cant really get close to the bit of metal that connects to the cable as it is in the body....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:04 AM
EKG

Sounds like you may want to open up the electronics cavity and inspect the wiring.

If your not comfortable doing it yourself, take it down to someone you trust ;-)

I've never had problems with guitars straight from the factory. Only with used ones.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Ive had a look at the electronics... and everything looks to be functioning smoothly... nothing wrong there... I think it must be a bit of dirt or something thats got in... although I dont understand when that happened... Do you know where I can get hold of contact cleaner... or something that will do the same job?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Vendor

Anyplace that sells electronic parts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevb
Get a clean tone, back off the volume and engage the filter. That's the best way to 'discover' it.
i dont have the guitar nearby man, what does it really do?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:50 PM
EKG

The high pass allows the notes to retain their brightness at lower volume. It's really nice. When not activated and you roll the volume down, the notes seem a little dull or muffled. Hard to hear if you strum a chord and raise and lower the volume. Instead, strum an open D chord at a high volume, then roll the volume back a little, strum again, Any difference? Keep lowering and strumming. You should be able to hear the difference.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:03 PM

maybe i was too deaf to hear a real difference, or maybe the amp sucked, or both!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Just to let you know, the contact cleaner didnt work , so its off to get a pot changed..... I just wanted to say that the JS1000 is the most beautiful, most playable, most amazing, most versitile, best sounding guitar i've ever touched and i'd advise any people who are just browsing around to go and get this guitar....
And one of the best things about it is it has improved my playing drastically... a few weeks ago i would have played Satch Boogie from start to finish, but with making a few slips here and there, or just getting muddled up completely... but now its just flying off my fingers
And the neck is think enough that you can get really deep, and get a hold of it, unlike the JEM's twig.
I know all this has been said before, but im just reconfirming the status of the JS as the greatest guitar in the world.... in my opinion :P
Oh yeah, if anyone wants pics of it, just say and i'll get hosting for it sorted...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 07:26 AM

Glad your enjoying your guitar

Tags
clean tone , coil tap , high pass filter , satch boogie , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode