My new ride - 7DBK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

My new ride - 7DBK

Oh yes. *It was received yesterday, and I have now played it for nearly 8 hours....the pickups scream and sing, they chunk and funk, they shake and bake, etc etc etc....and since I have a double-jointed thumb that likes to lay down on the back of the neck, the flatness isn't really a problem....the neck feels good, but MUST be sanded, not as smooth as my UV777BK's naked neck....and now even my UV777BK feels better after playing this one.....it's like I am more used to the neck after I play the DBK....the pickups in my UV have to be changed to contend with the ones in this DBK, because it's sound absolutely rips....and the tones I could get out of this thing were amazing....I was able to play stuff I wrote on my Tele on it, and sound just the same....MAN, I love this guitar....now if I can just get a VWH, I will be satisfied....and the finish is remarkably cool in and of itself....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:14 PM

My new ride

Congrats on the new axe, I hope you enjoy it for a very very long time!!!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:30 PM

My new ride

E N V Y !
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:11 PM

My new ride

Congrats and keep on rockin' !!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:14 PM
rvj

My new ride

Abe, Congrats on the DBK!!! I know you've been really looking forward to recieving it. Now you gotta bring it with you next time you cruise up. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll have my 90th by then. I'm giving up on the one I was going to buy. I'll just have to explore other options. Anyway, bring her by and we'll take a nice family pic. It will be a sweet picture too, 5 Jems and 2 UV's. DNA, 90th, 7VWH, 7DBK, 777DY, UV77MC, and a UV777BK. I could feel the Vai Voodoo already...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 09:23 AM

My new ride

congrats! *i have the dbk as well and it's one of my main guitars. *i love the insane crunch...great for metal! *

hey, my thumb is double jointed too. *hehe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 12:39 PM

My new ride

Congrats on the aquisition of the asphalt deamon!

I've loved mine since the day I got it and it's been my main axe ever since. Personally, I loved the neck and hated the Breed PUP in the bridge. So I traded it out for a Steve's Special. I have never felt so comfy with a guitar in all my nearly 20 years of playing. It's soooooooooo me ... LOL

I have played thin necks since the late 80's and just couldn't get used to the normal JEM necks so never bought one. Not only that but there wasn't really one that screamed 'TAKE ME!' until my wife suggested I try the DBK and I fell head over heals for her.

Anyways, congrats again,

LJ
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 02:47 PM

My new ride

Congratulations! :beammeup:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

My new ride

Thanks bros, I love the DBK....next acquisitions are a couple of RGs to block out and tune down (I am in a band that requires drop-C and drop-D tunings), and then the almighty JEM7VWH....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 11:27 PM

My new ride

Patrick, you switched out the Breed bridge PU for a Steves Special? * How do you like that pickup in the bridge? *How would u describe its tonal characteristics? *I too am looking for a PU thats a little hotter, and more agressive than the Breeds, and Im wondering if the steve special is something id like.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:46 PM

My new ride

Enjoy it !!!
WM
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:49 PM

My new ride

I love the Steve's Special - plain and simple. It's got a bit of a high and low range boost and the mids are scooped slightly. Just the perfect PUP for that Metallichunk sound without being harsh. It screams, it roars, and it quiets down real nice when you ease off on the volume. Think of an EVO PUP and scoop the mids slightly. It's ballsy without being mushy or muddy. On my set up it's clear as a bell with subtle harmonics underlying the main chunk. A lot will depend on your amp and effects settings but this PUP is a good foundation if you want a little more shred to your sound.

The Breed was just too mushy for me and I couldn't get the chunk I needed in my sound. It's probably a great PUP for rock and stuff but I'm a thrasher at heart even though I like a sound with a bit more 'air' in it (chorus, a touch of delay and the tiniest dash of compression to get the single notes to sing and a nice attack). I do alot of speed rhythm stuff so I needed a PUP that would remain clear and let each 'cha'cha chunk chunk' come across individualy. That's what I got from the Special.

Hope that helps to define it better for you.

LJ
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Reviews: 22
Re: My new ride - 7DBK

Abe, I hope you love the new dbk as much as you loved your first one... in this 8 yo thread. It was new back then and still looks the same to this day.

Just remember to show it off ok?, the end of next week we could do simultaneous unveilings.

Peace brother.

This is just toooooooo cool
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 AM

Reviews: 21

Horns high dude!!! Congrats
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM

Reviews: 7

nothing like jem, enjoy.

Tags
breed bridge , jem neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode