My Universe Arrived - a few questions for other owners - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

My Universe Arrived - a few questions for other owners

After a few months wait I took delivery of a 2003 UV777BK which as it is difficult for me to get to any Ibanez deale (at least when it is open) and they don't seem to stock the Universe, I got mail order via the web. It looks great but with the factory setup the Edge Pro bridge is angled forward in such a way that the trem arm when inserted fully will hit the pickup selector in positions 2,3 and 4. From the manual and the setup information on JEMsite I guess I need to either adjust the tremolo spring tension or adjust the bridge height. Which would be the first thing to try and what are the concequences in terms of action and intonation? Should the action be higher on the Universe than my RG 570EX with a Low Pro Edge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:28 PM

First you want to open the back panel on the guitar (I think you need to unscrew it off, not sure about the Universes.) and you want to screw the screws in (clock-wise). Make sure you screw both in at the same rate so they are even with each other. You might want to tune down your guitar a bit before doing this, because it allows for some compensation when the bridge gets tightened. It's also much harder to screw in if your strings are really being stretched.

So de-tune your guitar a bit, and screw the 2 screws located in the back into the guitar. Make sure that you do this so that your bridge is neutral when in tune. So make sure that if your bridge looks aligned, that you're also in tune. Because if you're sharp and your bridge is neutral, it will sink down in the guitar if you re-tune.

Once you're done that, you can mess with the bridge height to adjust the action. But you always want to first make your bridge neutral.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:35 PM

Also, I should add, that if you don't like the strings on the guitar, change them immediately. Not only do you get some experience, but you can also set up your tremelo to compensate for the different gauges early on. Replace your strings one at a time. Don't make the same mistake I did. :P
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:50 PM

Are you sure you got a 2003 model? the '03 should have the new edge II trem on it not the edge pro. The serial # should be "03xxxxx"

in any event, itsoudns like the trem is unbalanced, yes. Follow the instructions for balancing it.

As far as the bar goes, even with balanced trem, the bar is stilla bit low to the body - i recommend bending it upward a little bit - DO NOT do this with the bar in the guitar. Best to put the short end into a vice and bend that way. You don't have to bend too much, but a little will improve the playability a lot.

Good luck! If you have tremendous trouble, there is no shortage of UK Jemsiters who'd be willing to help you out in exchange for a drink at the local pub.

~K
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Vendor

Kenny, you're getting dyslexic, it should have an Edge Pro.

By the time you put a neck shim in it [it will need it if you want pullup] and get the angle right the bar will not interfere with anything
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response guys - your help is really appreciated.

Yes it definately a 2003 model, I ordered it in February, the serial number begins F03 and the trem just has ibanez printed on it, not the "licenced under Floyd Rose Patents" of the Low Pro Edge on my RG570EX. The manual is very generic covering several bridges but from what I read here before it is the Edge Pro 7.

I tried turning the screws for the tremolo springs clockwise through the holes in the back plate and then got it roughly in tune - it seems a lot harder to get to stay anywhere near in tune without the strings locked. I then clamped the strings at the nut and the bridge was now pointing up! I ended up turning the screws counter clockwise again and now I'm more or less back at square one.

I guess it a case of trial and error? I would try changing the strings but I'll have to wait till the end of the Easter holidays to go and buy some. I considered taking it to a music shop but the local ones don't stock Ibanez and weren't interested when I asked about them getting one so I don't know if they would have the experience. The other issue is cost - I have no idea what they would charge and I was trying to avoid too much additional expense as that will eat into what I hope will be my JEM 7VWH fund!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattww
Thanks for the quick response guys - your help is really appreciated.

Yes it definately a 2003 model, I ordered it in February, the serial number begins F03 and the trem just has ibanez printed on it, not the "licenced under Floyd Rose Patents" of the Low Pro Edge on my RG570EX. The manual is very generic covering several bridges but from what I read here before it is the Edge Pro 7.

I tried turning the screws for the tremolo springs clockwise through the holes in the back plate and then got it roughly in tune - it seems a lot harder to get to stay anywhere near in tune without the strings locked. I then clamped the strings at the nut and the bridge was now pointing up! I ended up turning the screws counter clockwise again and now I'm more or less back at square one.

I guess it a case of trial and error? I would try changing the strings but I'll have to wait till the end of the Easter holidays to go and buy some. I considered taking it to a music shop but the local ones don't stock Ibanez and weren't interested when I asked about them getting one so I don't know if they would have the experience. The other issue is cost - I have no idea what they would charge and I was trying to avoid too much additional expense as that will eat into what I hope will be my JEM 7VWH fund!
If your not using an electronic tuner go and buy one. It is trial and error for all of us. I bet rich even has to try to get near perfect float, for me its about 3 or 4 spring adjustments before I get it where i want. As rich will tell you the perfect float is virtually impossible to do.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 04:11 PM

I guess i didn't know the name of the new trem system. I thought it was the Edge II...i guess it's the edge pro. My Bad.

next, "I guess it a case of trial and error? I would try changing the strings but I'll have to wait till the end of the Easter holidays to go and buy some. I considered taking it to a music shop but the local ones don't stock Ibanez and weren't interested when I asked about them getting one so I don't know if they would have the experience. The other issue is cost - I have no idea what they would charge and I was trying to avoid too much additional expense as that will eat into what I hope will be my JEM 7VWH fund!"

You're talking about buying a set of strings, right? Strings are less then $6 US. You're going to have to buy them at some point soon...and you don't have to have Ibanez Strings...I don't think Ibanez even makes strings.

What screws are you turning? Do the new models have holes in the back plate? My head is spinning from this post.

Again, maybe one of the UK Jemsiters can help you out - i'm sure some of them would love to get their hands on a 2003 model to check out the new trem, etc.

I have to go take some drugs now.
~K
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Vendor

Kenny - you need a little refresher

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2003/trems.htm

Perfect *angle* is a no brainer, perfect angle and perfect *float* are 2 completely different things, although dependent on each other.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:50 AM

ahhh...

now it all makes sense. Thanks Rich. i'd never seen that page.
~K
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
You're talking about buying a set of strings, right? Strings are less then $6 US. You're going to have to buy them at some point soon...and you don't have to have Ibanez Strings...I don't think Ibanez even makes strings.
I'm pretty sure the dude was talking about a setup.
String change and a full setup because if the trem is so foreward that the bar touches the pickup switch selector and the guy has not said anything about high action I would imagine that a substantial neck pocket shim is in order - as Rich asumed as well.
For someone who's not sure how to level his trem taking the neck off on a brand new guitar will be a major surgery.

Where in the UK are you located, maybe someone can help you to set it up?

ilia
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the help.

After many hours of messing around I now have the bridge more or less spot on. The action is much better now as well. I was a bit too high, more like an acoustic before. The intonation still seams ok to my ear and more or less OK with a digital tuner. Hopefully it will now stay in tune and only require very ocassional fine adjustments likr the low Pro Edge on my RG570 EX.
This was already setup when I bought it so the Universe has been a real learning experience. Not sure what to expect when I get a JEM 7V WH though.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich

By the time you put a neck shim in it [it will need it if you want pullup] and get the angle right the bar will not interfere with anything
BTW, this doesn't hold for any 03' I've seen so far. Ibanez has built a "fairly steep" neck angle right into the neck pocket now. No need for any shims unless you want to decrease the angle a bit.

Tags
edge pro bridge , floyd rose , neck angle , neck shim , pickup switch , pro edge , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode