My UV777BK problem :) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

My UV777BK problem :)

Ok... now comes my lame ass question :P

I have a problem with the guitar not staying in tune. I always have to open up the locking nuts and adjust with the tuners. Then after locking it, it sounds ok, a little out of tune. I adjust it with the fine tuners and then the trouble starts. The finetuners react to one and other. After using the finetuners on the EBGDAE strings it sounds good (= EBGDAE sounds good) but the low B is way out of tune. I adjust it with the finetuner, and then the EBGDAE gets out of tune! What should i do?

I just had it set-up so I guess thats not the problem...

well... thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 04:46 AM
Vendor

First, your strings probably are not properly stretched.
Second, you're probably over-rotating the pads when you lock them down.
Third, your string tree may not be low enough.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
First, your strings probably are not properly stretched.
Second, you're probably over-rotating the pads when you lock them down.
Third, your string tree may not be low enough.
Thanks... The over-rotating the pads-thing is most likely true... I'l loosen them up.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Vendor

You don't want them any looser [unless they're gorilla tight] but there's a trick to minimize the twist of the pad at the point of contact
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
You don't want them any looser [unless they're gorilla tight] but there's a trick to minimize the twist of the pad at the point of contact
Why would you say that and then not tell us the trick??

BS

C'mon bro
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Vendor

Cause I'm BUSY!!!

When it just makes contact, "jerk" it tight. It will minimize the spin on the pad if you do it right.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 12:20 PM

Hmm... thanks, rich, good point... I also try to stabalize it a bit with one of my fingers while tightening... this helps a bit too.

-Drew
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 01:24 AM

Would I be correct in guessing you tune the B, then E, then A, then D, and so on, then find it's out of tune?

Tune up as close to perfect as you can with the nut unlocked, then clamp it and adjust the fine tuners randomly. You'll probably find, as I have, that if you do it one at a time from low to high in order, it'll make vitually no difference, all the strings will remain the same relative to each other. For instance, try tuning down a half-step using your fine tuners - doesn't work, does it?

For tuning purposes, you have to think of a floating bridge as a single unit where every part affects the others, not as six (or seven) separate saddles.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Would I be correct in guessing you tune the B, then E, then A, then D, and so on, then find it's out of tune?

Tune up as close to perfect as you can with the nut unlocked, then clamp it and adjust the fine tuners randomly. You'll probably find, as I have, that if you do it one at a time from low to high in order, it'll make vitually no difference, all the strings will remain the same relative to each other. For instance, try tuning down a half-step using your fine tuners - doesn't work, does it?

For tuning purposes, you have to think of a floating bridge as a single unit where every part affects the others, not as six (or seven) separate saddles.
Thanks... I'll keep that in mind!
I watched one of Eric Johnson's tapes last night and found out he starts tuning from the G-string... I'll try that to!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:13 AM

you can find the proper way to tune on the jemsite, in the tech setup area. I think your just not tuning it properly.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:38 AM

I think you have another problem but I dont know wich. When I tune my guitar I can do it however I feel that day. When I clamp it and adjust with the fine tuners it stays tune forever almost. It doesnt matter if I tune the A first or the D,E etc. If the guitar is correct you should be able to tune it in any order. My FP was the same and I think most of the JEMs are like that. I dont have the answer though. Just try to be exact and sort things out one by one.
Hälsningar Ola

Tags
eric johnson , locking nut , locking nuts , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode