MY VOLUME POT EXPLODED!!!!!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

MY VOLUME POT EXPLODED!!!!!!!

Ok, so it didnt explode...I just needed to get everyones attention cuz this is really important. I was riding my bike, like, a block (why waste gas?) to a buddys to show his dad my new JS1000BP. On the way back, a shoe lace got caught in the wheel's spokes, and therefore I tripped on the bike fell over, dropped the gigbag...yeah. Luckily, it was a very nice Ibanez padded bag, so no dents or scratches. Not even a blemish of any sort. I checked it over, and continued the ride home. Well, when I got there, I said "lets play my beauitful JS..." and when I took it out of the gigbag, the volume knob, along with the shaft, came off. Ill try and get some pics to make this clear, but Ill just try and explain it. Instead of just the knob coming off, the knob and the shaft its connected to came out of the volume pot. So where the knob once was, there is just a hole and the knob itself has the shaft connected to it, so therefore I can put the shaft (and knob) back into the volume pots hole, and then I can turn the volume which way I want, but there is no push/pull option because...well....duh the shaft has to be connected to whatever inside the pot to be able to pull up on the knob. And also I dont like having my volume knob coming out if I move a certain direction. So...what should I do? Id absolutely hate to replace it, but when I opened up the rear electronics cavity, there was nothing to help me there. And I thought I might ask you guys what to do before I took the pot itself out. Again, sorry if this is sort of fuzzy to you, if you need it, Ill get some pics up. Thanks alot in advance for your help!!
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Re: MY VOLUME POT EXPLODED!!!!!!!

What's the big deal?
Just replace the pot and get it over with.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:08 PM

yup, but thanks for the tale
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:16 PM

never ride a bike while carrying a very expensive guitar especially one thats just in a gig bag, just walk...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
What's the big deal?
Just replace the pot and get it over with.
Nah but Id like to see if I could get it fixed first. But yeah if Im gonna replace that, where should I buy it at? And if I do that, Id like to have the high pass filter on all the time...so how would I go around doing that?
smitty
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:24 PM

.....nevermind....
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:24 PM

volume pots cost nothing! a repair job would probably cost more than a replacement
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 PM

Potentiometer: $10
Solder and Iron: $20
Knowing you came within an inch of snapping your guitar neck, but didn't: Priceless

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 11-23-2006 at 06:21 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Vendor

It can't be fixed. Shock knocks the clip off the end of the shaft that kepps it locked in the pot. If you want the high pass on full time you don't need the push pull, just a vol pot. Follow the JEM wiring diagram to wire it. You will need an asian pot to get the right diameter shaft [or your knob won't fit].
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:03 PM

Reviews: 18

Let's see, you were riding your bike for a block with an Ibanez JS1000BP on your back and you fell? Well, you should've known better. A one block walk won't hurt you.

Call Ibanez and get a pot replacement along with the knob.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Let's see, you were riding your bike for a block with an Ibanez JS1000BP on your back and you fell? Well, you should've known better. A one block walk won't hurt you.

Call Ibanez and get a pot replacement along with the knob.
Thanks. My bike needed some love. I was just asking if I could fix it myself, ass holes.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Thanks. My bike needed some love. I was just asking if I could fix it myself, ass holes.
You CAN fix it yourself, as Rich said, but the fix is to replace the pot, not try to repair the broken one - it'll just give you grief regardless of how you try to repair it - and besides, as he said, if you want the hi-pass on all the time, you don't need the push-pull pot, just walk into any large electronics hobby shop (Radio Shack? dunno who you've got in the US these days) and buy the appropriate value Linear Taper pot - as Rich said (he's a fountain of knowledge!), you have to get an Asian made pot as the shaft is very slightly smaller in diameter that US made pots - but I believe almost anything you buy from a major dealer these days will come from Asia anyway - take the remains of your pot and the knob to test for fit in any case.

Don't be too hard on your fellow Jemsiters - I think their concern is that you could have had a much worse accident than you did! We live and learn!

Cheers

David McCarroll
Sydney, Australia
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
wow, calling us all ass holes, hmmm what are you, 12? Must be comming from someone who puts a $1200 guitar on his back with no hard case while riding a bike to go 1 block and falls off...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 PM

what do you guys expect? only 2 of the responses were helpful without being rude. i wouldnt call people ass holes, but i can definitely see his frustration.

anyways, best of luck getting that worked out
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:56 PM

If you do something stupid, and then post it in an internet forum for the world to see ... you are going to get some responses pointing out how stupid it was. Don't go getting pissy about it. If you didn't want criticism, don't post it! Besides, I didn't see any responses that were particularly rude -- at least not enough to evoke that response.

Now drop a few bucks, slap a new pot in there, and move on. No harm, no foul. Everybody has accidents, and this is a simple fix.

Tags
david mccarroll , high pass filter , volume pots , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode