Mysterious Trem Cover Removal? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mysterious Trem Cover Removal?

Just curious......

Any particular reason for removing, all together, the trem cover?

I usually pull mine for string changes/setups and put it right back on, but I have seen and even bought guitars that are missing the covers due to being lost.

I've been playing guitar now getting close to 35 years and I've always just put the cover back on after string changes/setups; and these were my gigging guitars.

Thoughts?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Mysterious Trem Cover Removal?

i leave mine off out of sheer laziness lol...seriously though i do leave them off because it is easier to make minor tweaks in case i didnt properly stretch out the strings...but my guitars never leave my house...d.m.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:54 PM

^^^ Same as DM... easier to detune, retune, etc. Although I do make it a point to keep the back plate and screws in a bag in the case, just so they don't get separated. Bugs me when I see a guitar for sale with no tremolo bar, cover, or missing screws! That's like selling a car, but you somehow lost the rear view mirrors and gear shifter... ??
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:11 PM

I always put it back on but I can see why people leave it off. For changes of seasons I find it easier to retune using the claw screws first then making minor tweaks to individual strings if necessary.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Some people (i.e. Eric Johnson) say that without the cover the guitar resonates better. I do not hear any differences except that when it is on, it can amplify weird spring noises.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 AM

I know Vai Velcros his on so it can be adjusted quickly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:28 PM

I used to put them back on but now I don't bother, just leave it in the case with the screws in a sealed bag. It serves no purpose so I just dont see the point it having it there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Right around 3 minutes in the mention the trem cover or lack there of

Steve
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:21 PM

Strandberg's that have a floating bridge have no trem cover to remove. Here is an example:
https://strandbergguitars.com/boden-prog/
Covers usually have a purpose, as do ground wires. Since problems with the ground wire are discussed in the Strandberg FAQ, and the ground wire is connected to the bridge, perhaps a trem cover would prevent those problems in the first place. Perhaps I'm wrong.

To make a car analogy, some cars do not have engine covers, like the Bugatti Chiron, but those cars do not look like they need engine covers either.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarello View Post
Just curious......

Any particular reason for removing, all together, the trem cover?

I usually pull mine for string changes/setups and put it right back on, but I have seen and even bought guitars that are missing the covers due to being lost.

I've been playing guitar now getting close to 35 years and I've always just put the cover back on after string changes/setups; and these were my gigging guitars.

Thoughts?

Steve
Two reasons, for me.

1) It makes it a LOT faster to pop the trem out for tech work, or to make tweaks to the spring tension (though more of a moot point now that Ibanez has moved to a cover with two channels for adjustments).

2) This:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode