Neck difference on DNA & 90ham - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Neck difference on DNA & 90ham

Can anybody tell me what kind of necks (wizard, etc) are on the DNA and the 90ham?

I played the DNA yesterday (what an incredible piece of art, soundwise and looks) but the neck didn't play or feel as comfortable as my 90ham. Is there a true difference in neckdimensions, or did I imagine it? I was really thrilled to finally be able to play a DNA (might still even buy it ) but I felt a difference in favor of my 90th.... Can't find any clues on the specsheets, so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 03:35 PM

Feel is typically subjective, I mean your main player guitar especially one as high quality as the 90th will always feel better than basically any other typical guitar AT FIRST. Once you get used to anything you learn the goods and bads of it. You may want to check the model specs although I beleive both necks are supposed to be kind of thin
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 05:07 PM

Isn't it that the 90ham has the Wizard and the DNA the JEM-neck (which is thicker...) , I have become used to playing a wizard neck and every single thicker neck feels quite big and fat (even a wizard ii ).
It's just what you're used to I guess
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:03 PM

The true jem and wizard two are almost identical dimensions a little different profile though. And thats from ibanezes specs not random differentials. Actually feels almost the same if you ask me. But you would remember a little more handfinishing goes into the more expensive models as qC IS PROBABLY gonna be a lot higher
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:12 PM

I thought the 90 and the DNA shared the same neck, I could be wrong, anyway, the DNA shares the same neck as the DBK, that is one of the main reasons I never bought a DNA (that and the cost LOL) I don't like that neck. It is much thinner than the old profile Jem neck, I believe the VDY, VSK, VBK were all the thinner neck profile as well. BSB too maybe? can't remember now. I prefer the VWH profile above all, but really like the SK, DY, LNG, FP, etc.

As for feeling not as good as your 90, well, how much playing have you done on your 90? the thing about necks is, once you've put some time on a guitar neck, it wears into the fit of your hand, that makes if feel perfect to you, a new DNA doesn't fit your hand yet, I remember the first few times I played my VWH, it felt good, now, it feels great.

Guitars are a lot like shoes, you gotta break them in, simple as that
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:14 PM

I couldnt have put it better LGM. Thats a good analogy. Same way with pickups, amps, etc., etc., etc.. People are too harsh when they just try something once and hate it. Any little thing can grow on you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:12 PM

My DNA's neck definitely feels a bit more slender and Wizard-like than my 90HAM did. The 90HAM felt more like an Ultra neck to me...a bit slimmer than a true Ultra, but a bit rounder than the Wizard. The DNA feels very much like the VDY I had. Although, techincally, I think they're supposed to be the same neck
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
I DEFINITELY didn't say I hated it... It just felt strange. I might even still buy it, so... Could it have anything to do with the difference in fretboard-material? Ebony just seems to be "smoother". The moment I grabbed the 90th it felt comfortable to my hand. I thought the DNA's neck was a bit wider! But I haven't yet had the chance to A/B them. Sometime this week. They WILL look cool hanging next to another.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:18 AM
rvj

I have both a 90th and a DNA. The 90th being one of my main players while the DNA never gets played. Both guitars are similar dimension wise, but feel a bit different. The few times that I have actually played the DNA, it does seem to feel a bit thinner than the 90th.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:46 AM

i used to have a 90th and still have the DNA. there is a difference and you can notice it right away. the DNA is such a smooth player for not being an ebony neck like the 90th. it's the fastest neck i have EVER played. it is also the thinnest. it shares the same neck as the DBK (although the DNA neck is much sleaker, faster, and all around nicer by feel) and the vdy. it's that thin sleak really thin neck.

i never play my DNA either, my 7vwh being my fav. at first i tried it in the store and liked it but not enough to buy it. now, i don't know how i got along without the 7vwh. now i know what the hype is. i also firmly believe that one 7vwh (or any same model for that matter) will play or feel a little different than the next. my 7vwh will feel a very little different than the guy's down the street and i don't know why.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 12:06 PM
rvj

Steve is right, the difference is actually quite noticeable. I picked up my DNA last night and played it for a few minutes. It is definitely the best playing of all my Jems. It's so smooth, it practically plays itself.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:04 PM

So, shredmaster and rvj, how many years have you guys been playing? I've been playing around 7 years on and off and while I notice a pleasant and more comfortable difference between my Jem90 and my acoustic guitars with the much larger necks, it doesn't affect my playing that much. The string size, fret size, and fretboard seem to be much larger factors.

I think I should probably wait until I get my 77GMC custom (a transformed 777VBK) back and open my mouth about neck differences then eh?

-Alex
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBHome
The string size, fret size, and fretboard seem to be much larger factors.
you're right. there are other factors too, maybe ones that can't be explained but are all together the large factor in the scheme of things. like rvj said, the DNA plays itself...and it really does, it's uncanny how amazingly easy it is! it's the fret positioning (distance between frets was a little larger on the dbk than most jems i noticed, for example) neck thickness, width, wood, man, just so many. now, i could find all the "perfect" factors and the guitar might not play well at all for me! it's mainly a feel thing!

i've been playing 15 years now. i don't do the 8 hours a day like i used to cuz i have to work and pay bills and other stuff. still play a lot with the band but not like back in the day.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:41 AM

I hear you I dont know if its ever gonna be "like it was anymore"
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 02:38 AM
rvj

Ahh, the good old days.

Tags
acoustic guitar , ebony neck , fret size , jem neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode