Neck Pickup for UV777BK Custom - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile Neck Pickup for UV777BK Custom

Hi All, this is my first post on this forum:

I recently bought this guitar online:

Here's the description:
This unique concept was designed and performed by Axel Rudich, a renowned luthier and Parker designer who tragically passed away in 2006. The Sustainiac driver was custom ordered from Alan Hoover, the man behind the Sustainiac as the 7-string version wasn‘t offered to the general public. I don‘t think it is at all possible to order Sustainiac Stealth Plus 7-string driver nowadays.
Electronics:Sustainiac driver, in pickup mode, in the neck position
Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy 7 in the middle position
Rio Grande Muy Grande Humbucking 7 in the bridge position
I won‘t start describing what Sustainiac does in details, but in general terms it let‘s the string to sustain as long as you want. It can be used in 3 ways:
1. neck pickup
2. sustainer, normal mode
3. sustainer, harmonic mode

Well....I got the Guitar safe & sound however after experimenting with it I have decided I'm not really into the sustainiac....an expensive exercise I know but that's sometimes the joy of buying online!
However it's not really so bad as apart from that the Guitar is great! and although a 2005 model it is effectively brand new.

Anyway I can save the day by removing the sustainiac and fitting a new neck humbucker to complement the other 2 excellent pickups.
Obviously to do that I will also need a new pickguard.

The exisiting Bridge pickup is a Rio Grande Muy Grande Humbucking 7, and the Mid Pickup is a Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy 7.

I was planning to fit a Dimarzio air Norton 7 in the neck and rewire it to the guitar to standard Ibanez Split-5 wiring system.

Any opinions on my choice of pickup?

Last edited by bucket_bot; 09-14-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Re: Neck Pickup for UV777BK Custom

Why don't you sell it as it is and buy another universe model?

That saves you a lot of blood, sweat and tears.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

No blood sweat & tears really.
I have modded quite a few guitars and actually quite enjoy doing it. Mostly of the non pickguard mounted pickup type which is a lot harder!

I will remove the exisiting whole pickguard, leaving it as a prewired unit & just remove the bridge & mid pickups to re-fit in the new pickguard.
I may sell the original pre-wired pickguard seperately to someone who may be interested in trying out the sustaniac on there UV.

Not really difficult to refit the pickups to a new pickguard and re-wire it all with new pots & a new switch.
Already have a new pickguard & matching truss rod cover & backplates ordered from Jeannie Pickguards.

Last edited by bucket_bot; 09-14-2008 at 10:52 AM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Hi there,
sounds to me like a unique guitar. And btw., a beautifull one too. I would leave THIS one as it is. Really. The special features should stay where they are. There are so many other guitars out there.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff View Post
Hi there,
sounds to me like a unique guitar. And btw., a beautifull one too. I would leave THIS one as it is. Really. The special features should stay where they are. There are so many other guitars out there.
I fully appreciate what you are saying....however I have bought it and want to make it usable for ME.

The prev owner says he bought it new & invested a lot of time and money in making it what it is, however he actually used it only once for a recording project and has now sold it! So maybe he also wasn't that happy with the result ?

When I received the guitar it needed a lot of work in the setup department. He had been using it with Robert Fripp's new Standard tuning and it had some unusual string gauges fitted.
Not a problem for me as I am used to setting up my own guitars but It needed some sorting I can tell you!!

However now with a new set of 10/46 strings & a 56 low B and the trem set properly it plays real nice!
The 2 Rio Grande pickups sound sweet with the Sustainiac off, but one further drawback to the Sustaniac which applies only to 7 string guitars is that with the neck pickup in normal mode the centre string (D) sits right on top of the gap between the 2 poles of the sustaniac driver - this results in a much lower output on this string compared to the other 6....There is no way around this unfortunately....(I also contacted the manufacturers of the sustainiac who confirm this.)
May not be an issue for many players but I like the neck pickup a lot! so it is a major issue for me.

I guess I could sell it as is but I paid a fair amount of cash to buy, so it would not really be that viable to replace it with another stock Universe.
Better to spend another 150 on it and still end up with a unique modded Universe that suits me?

Last edited by bucket_bot; 08-24-2008 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Are you the guy I bought the Carvin from last year ?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
Are you the guy I bought the Carvin from last year ?
I did sell one last year...What was it?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket_bot View Post
.....however I have bought it and want to make it usable for MEI fully........Better to spend another 150 on it and still end up with a unique modded Universe that suits me?
Yeah, ur right. I missunderstood the story from your first post. Thought the guitar came direct from Ibanez as a special run. So i think its something different.

btt, dont know how your "Rio Grande Muy Grande Humbucking 7" at the bridge sounds, so its hard to say which neck HB will fit best. I still have the stock Blaze II in my uv77mc and its ok for me. Fully usable even with crazy distortion :-)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 AM

Why not keep it the way it is, but move the middle pickup up right next to the sustainer? And wire it in such a way that now that is your neck pickup, but you can turn on and off the sustainer separately, that way you have best of both worlds.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Why not keep it the way it is, but move the middle pickup up right next to the sustainer? And wire it in such a way that now that is your neck pickup, but you can turn on and off the sustainer separately, that way you have best of both worlds.
Could do that possibly, however I like the flexibilty of the SC pickup in the middle so prefer to leave it there.
Also with that option I would still need a new pickguard.

As I said I'm not really into the sustainiac so best plan (for me at least) is to remove it completely.
What's more if I am able to sell it on it will offset any costs incurred.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

In the absence of any further advice I went ahead & ordered the Air Norton.

You may see the pre-wired pickguard with the sustainiac fitted on sale in the classified section on this site in a few weeks time.

Will update how I think it went after the change and post some new pics of the Guitar with the new pickguard & matching truss rod cover & back plates.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 PM

I think that you need to do what you feel best in your gut.... and looks like you did.

BTW that is a beautiful guitar!!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 AM

Interesting looking UV.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm all done!!
Fitted the Air Norton in the Neck and rewired the new pickguard with all new Pots switch & Cap.
Really pleased with the way the Air Norton sounds.
Wired it as per normal Ibanez 5 way so that Pos 2 & 4 are hum cancelling.
Also fitted matching Black Pearl Truss rod cover & Backplates.

See pics.

Also pics of the Old Pickguard with the Sustainiac still fitted. If anyone is interested in giving it a try PM or e mail me...no resaonable offer refused.
I have no instructions with it but they are freely available on the Sustainiac website:
http://www.sustainiac.com/stplus.htm

SOLD TO BUTCH!!
Basically you just need to re-connect your bridge & mid pickups to the switch and connect the battery & ground wires.

Last edited by bucket_bot; 09-29-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: PICKGUARD & SUSTAINIAC SOLD.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 AM

Before it was a beauty. Now with this pickguard and the knobs..... ......IMO. But of course, its your guitar. When it came out now like u like it, congrats.

Tags
robert fripp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode