Neck plate unreadable - any suggestions? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Neck plate unreadable - any suggestions?

I was recently looking at a 777VDY in person, and the usual breakup/dryout/crackling of the lacquer on the neck plate is so bad that the serial number is unreadable, even under bright light and a magnifying glass. Has anyone seen one that's this bad, and if so, is it a good or bad idea to try to remove what remains of the crackled neck plate lacquer to determine the serial number? I would think if you were gentle enough you would expose what is stamped into the neck plate ... but, I'd be interested to hear about any real life experience from anyone who has attempted this, including recommended vs. not-recommended methods.

Last edited by MonkeyFingers; 09-06-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Neck plate unreadable - any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFingers View Post
I was recently looking at a 777VDY in person, and the usual breakup/dryout/crackling of the lacquer on the neck plate is so bad that the serial number is unreadable, even under bright light and a magnifying glass. Has anyone seen one that's this bad, and if so, is it a good or bad idea to try to remove what remains of the crackled neck plate lacquer to determine the serial number? I would think if you were gentle enough you would expose what is stamped into the neck plate ... but, I'd be interested to hear about any real life experience from anyone who has attempted this, including recommended vs. not-recommended methods.
I think I would attempt to remove the paint by hand using acetone (and heavy duty gloves ). Acetone should remove all of the paint without etching the metal of the plate at all.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Vendor

Is it so important to see what the number is you want to mutilate it further past what nature has done? I've seen plenty of "cleaned" plates on guitars for sale, and will always pass on them.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is it so important to see what the number is you want to mutilate it further past what nature has done? I've seen plenty of "cleaned" plates on guitars for sale, and will always pass on them.
I'm not saying I want to do one thing or another at least not yet ... I was just looking for some input on what if anything to do about the unreadable serial number. I'm interested in knowing the production year of the instrument. I'm curious why a cleaned plate is so much of a turn-off for you. Different things might be important to different people, and the year of manufacture may be more important than an authentic aged look.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 AM
Vendor

An oxidized plate is natural. A cleaned plate is not, and looks terrible also, IMO anyway.

I'm talking about plates that have been taken to clean metal, so they're silver.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 AM

I've tried cleaning RG5xx plates by sandblasting.
When the bubbles and crackles are gone, all you see is holes or pits under them.
There is no more text, it is gone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 AM

Got any pics? ^ ^
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM

If you use regular old liquid spray guitar polish on it, it will remove some of the oxidation but won't strip any remaining paint. That may help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer3d View Post
Got any pics? ^ ^
I have no pics of it after the sandblasting.
I powder coated the plate neon green.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Does it have an edge or lopro edge
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Whats that method of transfering/copying an image with laying tissue paper over the plate, and scratch back and forth over it with a piece of lead (or pencil on the side) to bring the indention out? Not sure if I'm describing it right. BUt, if the serial number is filled in with oxidation I guess it wouldn't work but would be worth a try. That would at least tell you the number if it works.

I just did it with a sticky and red pencil at my desk on my name plate.

Last edited by LMDAVE; 09-10-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Tags
777vdy , jem , neck plate , serial number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode