Neck Pocket Crack - 30th Anniversary - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Neck Pocket Crack - 30th Anniversary

I finally received my LNG 30th Anniversary last night and while inspecting it, found a neck pocket crack. Not sure what to do at this point. Should I send it back? Should I just live with it? Not really sure what to do at this point. I welcome any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Neck Pocket Crack - 30th Anniversary

Mine has one also on the bass side; it is the only thing that is reissued as it should ;-)
I keep mine, but send it for a proper fret-dress as it had some buzzing at no too much low action on the G-string from fret 20 to 24.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:46 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
I finally received my LNG 30th Anniversary last night and while inspecting it, found a neck pocket crack. Not sure what to do at this point. Should I send it back? Should I just live with it? Not really sure what to do at this point. I welcome any input.
I suggest you voice your displeasure to the dealer and request a replacement. Even if it can't be accommodated at least you know you asked. Letting Ibanez know this is unacceptable might actually motivate them to better package them to help avoid these cracks at least gives you, the paying customer, a chance at getting the product quality you expect.

But if you accept $3500 Ibanez product with said issues simply do nothing (as i suspect many will do).
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
I suggest you voice your displeasure to the dealer and request a replacement. Even if it can't be accommodated at least you know you asked. Letting Ibanez know this is unacceptable might actually motivate them to better package them to help avoid these cracks at least gives you, the paying customer, a chance at getting the product quality you expect.

But if you accept $3500 Ibanez product with said issues simply do nothing (as i suspect many will do).

I agree. I sent an email to the shop I bought it from and am waiting to hear back from them. Thanks!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 3

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/st...-153698-2.html

That is what Rich answered when I asked him if he had seen any NJC on the 30th's (he was not the dealer on that one). Replacement is no possible, I assume, and they can say that it could be produced by any stress on the neck before leaving the shop, so take it or leave it. At some point they will appear on most of them, sooner than later.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

The part I am struggling with is that I own two RG550 anniversaries and both of them were bought used and shipped to me no problem. I have owned them for over 3 years with no issues. If the crack had developed a few weeks/months after owning it, I wouldn't mind so much, but getting a brand new guitar with a crack like this bothers me - more than I thought it would.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:42 PM

Agreed! no reason you should eb getting a new guitar with cracks. I'd email and ask for a replacement, no doubt, or discount if replacement not possible.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:59 PM

My 30th LGN also has a small stress crack in the paint of the neck pocket. It's purely cosmetic, but did annoy me for a while. I was one of the lucky few to get my before the CITES held up the rest, so I didn't want to go through the trouble of sending it back and not knowing when I can get my hands on another one.

Last edited by maxpower2112; 08-06-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 PM

Considering just how much these cost, it should be perfect, afterall its not that hard to get this right. If it was a regular Jem it'd be annoying, but being a collectors piece, that's different in my book. These are seriously overpriced for what they are, we accept that, but in return we expect better build quality. At that money it shouldn't give you anything to stress over. The QC on these should have been spot on, but I suspect that us gullible fans are being taken for a ride. I recon these are thrown together by people that dont give a damn in the same way that we would, and out the door as quick as any RG.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 PM

I'd return it and get your money back. You waited quite some time to get a guitar like this. Very unfortunate because in reality, this can and does happen with any brand out there.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
I'd return it and get your money back. You waited quite some time to get a guitar like this. Very unfortunate because in reality, this can and does happen with any brand out there.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I have been thinking about it all weekend and am thinking I will just return it and get something else. Sucks after waiting for so long for it to arrive to have this happen. Oh well.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 AM

Are you planning to play it? If so I'd just keep it and enjoy it. If you're Wiley Kelli get it as a collectors piece, then I'd return it.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Considering just how much these cost, it should be perfect, afterall its not that hard to get this right. If it was a regular Jem it'd be annoying, but being a collectors piece, that's different in my book. These are seriously overpriced for what they are, we accept that, but in return we expect better build quality. At that money it shouldn't give you anything to stress over. The QC on these should have been spot on, but I suspect that us gullible fans are being taken for a ride. I recon these are thrown together by people that dont give a damn in the same way that we would, and out the door as quick as any RG.
About the price thing, actually no, adjusted for inflation, they are only a tad more expensive that what they would have cost in 1987.

3500 bucks today would have been $1,634.59 in august of 87, which lines up around where the JEMs cost back then.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:53 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
About the price thing, actually no, adjusted for inflation, they are only a tad more expensive that what they would have cost in 1987.

3500 bucks today would have been $1,634.59 in august of 87, which lines up around where the JEMs cost back then.
To be factual the DY/SK list was $1299 + case these sold for under $900 with case.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
To be factual the DY/SK list was $1299 + case these sold for under $900 with case.
Ah okay.I hadnt checked the original JEM prices in 87. I just converted the going rate today to what that cost would be in 87.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode