Neck pocket cracks - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Neck pocket cracks

So, I was wondering from all the original FP, BFP, LNG, DY etc 88,89 jem owners..... this neck pocket crack problem.

Do you think that these small cracks that appear are just finish cracks or much more serious, like the beginnings of Steve Vai's Evo. That guitar is basically stuffed.

I missed out on an original FP on Abay the other night that was in great condition with small cracks in the neck pocket. Is it worth it to keep looking out for one or does the age of these and the obvious neck problem pretty much make them eye candy only and not for use when playing live?

also.... do I have to look forward to my 7VWh doing this in the near or far future..... it's only 2 years old.

How big a problem is this?

I only learned of this problem from all of you in here, so I'd be interested in what some of you owners of the old Jems think.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Neck pocket cracks

There are many threads here on this topic. As a general rule when establishing a value on these models, pocket cracks do not decrease the value or the playability of the guitar.

A standard misconception is that these are only finish cracks - they usually are a bit deeper than just the finish due to the stress of the low neck joint on the body, but they are common and accepted. I wouldn't walk away from a purchase because of neck pocket cracks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Cool, that was my main concern as an original FP is one guitar that I've always wanted and I bid about 10 times on this one the other night but kept getting outbidded straight away so someone had put a bit of dough down to keep the bids going in their favour. There's always another one though, but this one the other night was in perfect condition... no visible chips or dings absolutely anywhere on the thing. It was beautiful.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 1

Macka - If you buy one without neck pocket cracks, one thing to be carefull of is not to release your string tension to quickly.

Way way back in the day, I made a rookie mistake once when removing the strings. I raised and stablized the trem with a soft cloth under it, and thinking that released enough tension, I cut the strings. The sudden reduction of tension gave it instant neck pocket cracks in both pockets of my neon. Lesson learned the hard way!

Good luck with your FP search!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

ouch! that sounds like something I could've cried over, having that happen. There couldn't be too many without neck pocket cracks surely? They're all pretty old now and with that much tension on them due to the stings and the age that they are, I wouldn't imagine there'd be any without cracks if the people in here are to be believed (about how widespread the problem is)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM

My DY doesn't have a neck pocket crack, but then again, I never cut my strings.

If they don't break by themselves, I take them off by unwinding or by taking the entire trem off.

BTW AANJs can also come with cracks.

Tags
neck pocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode