Neck Recommendations and VRG Down? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Neck Recommendations and VRG Down?

Hey guys, today I went onto vrg builder and it only gives me a 403 error and doens't allow me to build anything. Is it just a temporary error?

Also I wanted to get recommendations from you guys on what to do to my JemDBK. I love the old rg neck on it (apart from me needing to put a dowel in 1 of the bolt holes, and it having a little bit of fretwear) but I have been thinking about getting a custom neck for the thing, doweling the hole and using this neck on my rg2570 body I have in storage.

I'm not 100% on if I can or will buy the neck but I wanted to know what custom shop, woods, inlay and inlay color you guys think would be sweet.

I only know of ET guitars for a good jem neck but I sort of want SS frets (as long as it doesn't cost TOO much) or a neck volute which I don't think ET does either. EDIT: They do do SS frets
Also I was thinking a regular maple neck with either a maple fb or ebony fb to retain snappiness, but I'm not sure if ebony would be too dark on top of the already dark guitar. I sort of want the pearl/abalone vine but on maple it may be too light, so I could do a plastic color like red to match the pups. I was also thinking maybe some disappearing pyramids but I've lusted over the vine inlay for so long it makes it a hard choice.

Please help me out, you guys always make sweet custom jem's so I figure someone may have a cool idea!

Here are some pics, my neck pup is now red/black with the red coil being towards the neck. (I couldn't find a liquifire in all red when they just came out and I was a can't waiter =P)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Neck Recommendations and VRG Down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post

Wow! This looks really bad a$$!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I love it! Talk to Chris at Mai-Guitar--he does necks also. Concerning the VRG Builder--There's a thread about it in the Forum Announcements section, but no explanation of it's absence. I hope it comes back up.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Ah I forgot about Mai-Guitar, thank you!

It seems like a lot of people love the look and feel of this guitar, that is the only reason I am still hesitant on a custom neck; however, if I get the neck with a more neutral vine color like pearl/abalone then it could be used for other bodies or even a full custom jem I could finish later if I decide the dbk body shouldn't part with the 550 neck.

Opinions?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Now that's one thing we don't see everyday. My main guitar is just like that, H-H and volume only. And I don't miss the tone knob at all.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Haha I don't miss it either, the hole where the middle pickup feels like it should be filled but I love the sound like it is haha
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Believe it or not, a solid black pickguard from a certain banner above instead of black-white-black increases the mids a lot.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Believe it or not, a solid black pickguard from a certain banner above instead of black-white-black increases the mids a lot.
Huh??? How would a non-triple ply guard increase the mids? Should still be the same amount of plastic involved. I see you're from Brazil--are you related to Treva? I was expecting some dino-DNA comment to go with that.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Huh??? How would a non-triple ply guard increase the mids? Should still be the same amount of plastic involved. I see you're from Brazil--are you related to Treva? I was expecting some dino-DNA comment to go with that.
When I ordered it from Thomas, I thought it was going to be the same material except for plain black, but it ended up being thicker and harder with round edges. It took me like 5 seconds to notice the difference.

I don't know him personally but I've read that he lives near the stadium where Iron Maiden played in April or May this year; he menctioned something about being able to hear the soundcheck from his place. It's around 20 minutes by car from where I live.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Reviews: 4

There aren't any jemsiters 20 mins from me .... /OT

Nice guitar man!!! MAIGuitar would be a nice option, as has been mentioned.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM

nice looking guitar!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
There aren't any jemsiters 20 mins from me .... /OT

Nice guitar man!!! MAIGuitar would be a nice option, as has been mentioned.
I decided to wait on the neck but I will probably check out mai guitar. Also I don't know any fellow guitarist here either

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskvil View Post
nice looking guitar!
thanks!

Tags
custom , dbk , jem , neck , vrg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode