Neck shape on '91 777DY - same as current Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Neck shape on '91 777DY - same as current Jem?

So in case anyone hasn't noticed from the few times I've mentioned it, I got a 1991 777DY in January (am I the only person who buys birthday gifts for themselves? ).

I bought it just for the sake of having a guitar I always wanted, but I have ended up bonding with it more than I expected.

I'm wondering about the neck. It's noticibly thicker than a wizard neck. It's actually feels very close to a C-shaped Fender neck. Would this guitar have the similar neck thickness, width, and profile as the "Jem" neck?

EDIT: I'm aware of this info:

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/spec.htm

I'm just wondering if by 1991 the neck dimensions became similar to the 7vwh and later Jems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Re: Neck shape on '91 777DY - same as current Jem?

I'm of the understanding that the whole 777 run was like that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:00 PM

My impression has always been that the Jem neck is a thicker neck.

you can see how it is more C-shaped than D-shaped compared with a Wizard neck. I've always believed that the Jem neck thickness was 19.5mm at 1st fret and 21.5mm at the 12th fret.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 PM

As the poster says - the stuff dreams are made of Universe necks from that time are widely different in each run, i guess same could be said for old jems...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 PM

It sounds to me like you're experiencing an original JEM profile neck, which *is* a rounder shape than a Wizard neck.

I've heard numerous times over the years that the JEM neck shape has drifted closer to Wizard spec. I'm not sure I believe it, because I've never seen a JEM profile neck that was as *thin* as a Wiz neck.

However, it seems to me that the necks on my FP and DY are a little rounder and the fretboards a little narrower than the current production VWH at the local Guitar Center. the newer one's fretboard feels wider. Might just be a perception thing though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Hmm...so that poster refers to the neck on what is clearly a 777 as a Jem neck. And the rumor is that the Jem neck has become more thin over the years. I really like that neck, so I suppose if I wanted another guitar with one like it, I should stick with 777s?

Also -- fret wires. The link I posted says that the 777s have jumbo frets. Can anyone confirm that the frets on the 777s are NOT the same frets used on current the 7vwh?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 AM

My '90 FP and '88 DY necks feel nearly identical, so I'd say if you're wanting one another with the same feel, go for one from the same era.

JEMs originally came with Dunlop 6100 fretwire, current production is Dunlop 6105. Same height, a little narrower.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/h...wiredunlop.htm
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
My '90 FP and '88 DY necks feel nearly identical, so I'd say if you're wanting one another with the same feel, go for one from the same era.

JEMs originally came with Dunlop 6100 fretwire, current production is Dunlop 6105. Same height, a little narrower.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/h...wiredunlop.htm
Yessir, thank you. I think I've narrowed the next one down to a VBK, BFP, or FP, preferably '90/'91.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode