Neck Structure Question - How Ibanez cuts necks - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Neck Structure Question - How Ibanez cuts necks

I'm curious: In earlier catalogs, Ibanez often boasted the fact that their necks were made of quartersawn(a very stable and reliable cut) maple. *Is this still the case or are they just not bringing it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 08:09 PM

Neck Structure Question

I think they use both; depends on model. *My SC620 is quartersawn (1996, I think), the SC420 I saw last year is flatsawn.

You can have a fine neck with a flatsawn cut (Warmoths are flatsawn by default). *But quartersawn is nice, especially with thin necks like a wizard.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 04:50 AM

Neck Structure Question

I've taken the neck off of my '89 VBK several times, and I can assure you that it IS flatsawn. *It's the best neck I own, though...better than other quartersawn necks.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:34 AM

Neck Structure Question

I don't really see much difference.
Quatersawn or Flatsawn, it' such a fine line.

Admittedly Quatersawn is supposed to be sturdier, but you'll also find that most figured necks, flamed/birdseye maple are cut Flatsawn as this way of cutting yields the best figure and I've never had trouble with these necks.

Steve
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:41 AM

Neck Structure Question

They didn't start with quartersawn until the early '90's - an '89 wouldn't be.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 05:57 PM

Neck Structure Question

If a pre 91 looks quartersawn it probably is, but only by accident.

BTW both my DSY and my HAM are quartersawn but *do* have flamed necks, albeit only on one side, by accident I presume. Looks nice nonetheless...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:03 PM

Neck Structure Question

Right - in a large shipment of wood you're bound to get some quartersawn-like cuts. *I didn't think of that...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode