Need advice on getting first JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on getting first JEM

Hello!
I wanted your input on some JEMs I could get used. The main issue would be playability and sound. I currently play ESPs (KH-2 Ouija and KH-3), and I don't wannt to start a brawl, but especially the KH-2 plays and sounds like hell. But I need more versatility so I was looking for a JEM. I could get a 777VBK or a 777DY for fair prices. And a 7VWH, which would of course cost alot more. So how do these guitars compare? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 08:43 PM

go for the 7VWH. It´s a killer!!!
It sound as a guitar no matter if you distort it heavy or play it clean. and you can feel the differens if you compare them. It is a high quality guitar. it is worth the extra cost.
/KA
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 03:58 PM

The 7VWH is the better guitar of the ones you mention. The other two are pretty much similar expect for the paintjob and fretboard wood so it's much up to personal preference. Check out the spec sheet for the differences.

Personally I'd prefer the 7VWH, then the DY and at last the VBK. They are however all quality guitars so it's a close call.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 05:38 PM

The three guitars you mentioned have a distinct difference between the three of them: *Fretboard wood.

7v is ebony
DY is maple
VBK is rosewood.

That's your interface right there - if you have any issues about the wood that's under your fingers as you play, your decision just got easier.

~K
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 07:48 PM
YJM

I'd say: go for a 7VWH, buddy!

I assume you're playing metal. I just got mine recently and couldn't be happier.

For lead, it's very very cool. For clean tone, however, I'd still think of the FP (I'm an old-timer who prefers PAF-Pro's). The 7VWH is the nicest playing guitar personally because the ebony fretboard feels so good and smooth to play on. I definitely prefer it over rosewood and maple. You can't go wrong.

-Bill

(Edited by YJM at 7:05 pm on Nov. 25, 2001)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help already!! Hmm, difficult choice here! The 7VWH is the best, but the thing is that I mainly need the guitar as an (oh my god, I know I'm gonna get killed for this...*lol*) everyday practice guitar, which I don't have to be afraid of to play to death! Of course I could also get some low budget guitar, but point is that once you've got used to the feel and sound of high-end axes you don't like going back too much...I guess you feel the same about that. So I wanted to get a used guitar which meets my criteria, and the 7VWH would then again be something which I'd have to take care of too much...I hope I make any sense here. The DY guitar has seen its tuners and its bridge humbucker replaced, which is something I wouldn't do on a Signature guitar, and that's why it would rather be last choice. And the KH-2 has a rosewood fingerboard, just like the 777VBK. Difficult choice!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 08:41 PM

7VWH. *All you need to know.....if I had known then what I know now....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 09:24 PM

Shop around and find the ones that appeal to you(besides the three you've listed). I'm not sure what your price range is, but check out some places first; Like the Jemsite Buy, Sell, and Trade forum, Ibanez Rules website link above, and Ebay. If you keep an eye out regularly on these sites you can find other used Jem's. Be careful on Ebay though if you haven't shopped there before.

As far as the Jems go I've only owned the DBK and VBK. Still have the VBK. Neck joint was the biggest factor for me. I love my VBK but I'd love to have a AANJ instead of the old block style. My average sized hands make it harder to fret the higher frets comfortably. Other than that I think you'd be happy with any Jem. *Except the 555 of course
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 12:55 PM

you have to get what you like in the end. *listen to others in the beginning, but in the end, do what you want to do. *for me, i personally don't like the 7vwh. *i think it's tacky looking and i'm not too hip on the tone. *i'm not a gold-lover, whether it's jewelry or guitars. *that's just me. *maybe i made some enemies now but i can't see why. *i tried that guitar and the neck is a little too thick for me. *i like them really thin. *good luck and get what you want...even if it isn't a jem.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 04:54 PM

*cough, cough (get a Universe) cough, cough*

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , clean tone , ebony fretboard , fretboard wood , neck joint , playing guitar , rosewood fingerboard , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode