Need a few opinions. - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:54 PM

Re: Need a few opinions.

BTW..... Im not trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to have a frank discussion on why you bought the JEM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
What do you mean plays weird??? That doesn't tell us sh!t!

As in flatter radius of the neck? Or flat "note" or pitch-wise? Either way.... now I'm surely confused. You say it plays weird, then "it's not that terrible either"! Your sounding more like a girl trying to decide whether to wear the red ribbons or pink ribbons in her hair! You know..... "eeww... which ones? Such a dilemma! What do you think?"

I guess you realized your 350 and the JEM had different pickups. If so, did you really think they would sound the same? Look, it's not uncommon for a player to buy an insturment and change pups to alter the tonal characteristics of it. Some will prefer a slightly weaker pickup too. Or with a different frequency curve based on it's windings and type and placement of the magnets.

Evo's can be "harsh" to some players not used to a hot pickup. Some change them out for the EVO II or Breeds. It's all personal preference. Trial and error. Go to the DiMarzio site and read up..... You'll be surprised what you'll learn.

Changing the string gauge is going to make some difference in how the guitar feels (ie. stiffer to play as in doing bends will require a little more hand strength, better "tone" as in the string will be slightly "boomy-ier" and will have a degree of better sustain characteristics) But you're right, it's not going to be the "fix all" you seem to be fixating on! And if it "plays worse" well..... you're just screwed! Sell the JEM cheap and write it off as buying something with no real direction in mind.

But that's hard to understand since you say you played "nearly every Ibanez in the store". I'll bet some mighty fine instruments passed through those hands and because you really didn't know what you were looking for, you threw money away! But that will make you a music stores favorite kind of customer! So there is a "positive" for someone!

Look, trading for the PGM probably isn't going to make much difference here since it seems you don't have any real understanding of what your looking for or why you need another guitar! Odds are you'll end up in the same boat but with a different set of complaints.

As far as a trem.... I believe your RG350 has one, Yes? What's the problem with that guitar? You seem to like it?

So here's the real "skinny" on your question..... it's probably not going to "rectify" your problems. It may actually intensify your problems. The guy setting up the guitar may set it up to his preferences which may or may not be to your liking. You may have tuning issues you haven't experienced before. The pups won't magically change to your liking. The neck "flatness" isn't going to suddenly develop more of a radius..... the list goes on!

Bottom line would be to learn more about the guitar you already feel comfortable on (your RG350DX) figure out what the neck spec's are (look on-line at the Ibanez web site) and look for something comparable. I'll bet there is something in the Prestige line that will suite you fine. Guys buy new guitar for many many reasons..... Musicians buy new guitars for only a few select targeted reasons. They need a different tone completely! (wood species, type of guitar solid body compared to semi hollow body etc.) They want a change in neck feel. (from a Les Paul, to Strat, to Ibanez) They have plain wore there current one out! (only to buy the same model) And lastly..... "it looked cool" and they knew they could adapt to it!

Of course your other option is to start modifying your RG350 with some new pups, work in the trem and make sure it's operating to max efficiency. Buy a Blank pickguard and set it up so the controls are exactly where you like them.... all things you could have done with the cash you dropped on the new JEM. Besides.... you'd have had some extra left over for a new set of .10's! Just a thought!
Mmk, seems like im making some confusion!! When i say it plays weird. I mean it doesnt feel "right". And i dont really know why. So the best i could say, is weird! I am pretty certain that this whole issue is just the string guage, i find 9s real flimsy.

I say "flat" meaning the tuning. All the setup is for is basically to correct the tuning. I say it doesnt play bad, because usually a guitar is setup to play better, but its still pretty good.

I know they have different pickups! and is one of the main reasons i got one. I say the tone is bad, as in the sound of my RG350 sounds.. well thicker and less buzzy than the JEM. As in, id expect this guitar to have a sound similar to Vais.. it doesnt. Im also not a fan of changing things in a guitar.. I dont trust myself to do it well enough and i have no money to pay someone else to do it!

With all the other guitars i played, i found things about them i dont like. Most of the things i didnt like were in the necks. A lot were too thick, i like thin necks. Some guitars pups were too weak for my liking, etc.

The problems with my guitar are: the trem is terrible, in just about everyway lol. doesnt work well, extremely hard to tune it (even when i took it to a shop for a setup it still came out imperfect), and feels like its beginning to seize up a little.. which i have read is a main complaint with Edge III's. The guitar seems to be getting less easy to play and the neck is wearing out a little. Im also very spack-handed with practical things.. me modding a guitar will probably end badly.

I was looking for a guitar with a better natural tone (ie, higher quality woods and production) better pickups (ive said why im not too keen to change them) and a better feeling neck. A JEM seemed to have all these qualities.. But it just felt weird to play, and didnt sound how i expected it.

Hopefully you get why im after a new guitar, and what causing my issues with the JEM.

Last edited by Real_Illusions; 12-28-2007 at 02:05 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Buying a JEM won't make you sound like Steve. But it is the guitar he uses and therefore will be as close as you get. Remember, unless you're using the same amp/effects as a player you can't expect the guitar alone to get you to sound like your fav. player! Plus EVO's are a "buzzier" pickup! Again go to the DiMarzio site to learn more so you'll understand why! Or ask your local guitar tech.....

A large percentage of a players tone comes from the fingers too. But that's a whole different "can-o-worms" to open. Many will disagree. But Paul Gilbert won't sound like Steve just because he picks up a JEM!

As far as the JEM, it should feel weird..... you're not use to it! As far as modifying your RG350 you could have paid someone to do the mods and still had extra cash in your hand!

Again..... look at the prestige line! The neck spec's aren't so radically different from a JEM or your RG350. As far as better "natural tone" no two guitars of the same model will have the same exact tonal characteristics. They are two different hunks of wood, only of the same species! Detecting those subtle differences comes with tons of experience and playing several guitars of the same exact model and setup. Feeling the difference in wood vibration at the headstock, or listening to how "acoustic" a guitar sounds unplugged!

Honestly..... it all sounds like a change to .10's and your perception will get you what you are looking for but don't expect miracles. Also, the next time you may want to consider buying a used model of what you think you'll like. It will certainly be cheaper, yes?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Flat tuning...because you don't know how to setup a trem.

You probably need to tighten the claw screws. I swear...some peoples children.

Your right...the Jem is too wierd, the trem binds up and won't stay in tune.

Might as well send it to me and buy a different guitar. This is silly.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Buying a JEM won't make you sound like Steve. But it is the guitar he uses and therefore will be as close as you get. Remember, unless you're using the same amp/effects as a player you can't expect the guitar alone to get you to sound like your fav. player! Plus EVO's are a "buzzier" pickup! Again go to the DiMarzio site to learn more so you'll understand why! Or ask your local guitar tech.....

A large percentage of a players tone comes from the fingers too. But that's a whole different "can-o-worms" to open. Many will disagree. But Paul Gilbert won't sound like Steve just because he picks up a JEM!
I dont want to sound the same as Steve, but i thought the sound would at least be close! I did go to the DiMarzio site, where they claim the Bridge pup is tight.. but it really isnt on mine.

Quote:
As far as the JEM, it should feel weird..... you're not use to it! As far as modifying your RG350 you could have paid someone to do the mods and still had extra cash in your hand!
But the RG line is based on the JEM, so i wouldve thought it wouldnt be so different. Modding my RG to a way id like it would mod it so much it wouldnt even be an RG anymore! it would need nearly everything replaced, and so i thought it would simply be easier to buy a new guitar.

Quote:
Again..... look at the prestige line! The neck spec's aren't so radically different from a JEM or your RG350. As far as better "natural tone" no two guitars of the same model will have the same exact tonal characteristics. They are two different hunks of wood, only of the same species! Detecting those subtle differences comes with tons of experience and playing several guitars of the same exact model and setup. Feeling the difference in wood vibration at the headstock, or listening to how "acoustic" a guitar sounds unplugged!
I only wanted better woods for more defined tone and longer sustain.. any tonal characteristics are a bonus! ..well, so long as they dont spoil the sound.

Quote:
Honestly..... it all sounds like a change to .10's and your perception will get you what you are looking for but don't expect miracles. Also, the next time you may want to consider buying a used model of what you think you'll like. It will certainly be cheaper, yes?
Thats what i thought it was the whole time. I just cant see a rather small change.. 0.001 more.. making it all that much better. Hopefully it will.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Every one has an opinion so here's another. I think the JEM is a great guitar, BUT; the setup must be done right no matter what the guitar, the EVO pickups are hot which is not for everyone(I like them but YMMV), changing to .10's will make a difference in tone and the setup can make a huge improvement to how it plays, I hate the fake f-holes on the gilbert models, either you get used to a trem, or you hate a trem(I am used to them), alder should sound thicker/fatter than basswood. If the EVO's are too hot, you can simply lower them a bit for less drive to the amp. Just another 2 cents worth. I hope you get it sorted out as I know how frustrating it can be searching for the tone you have in mind.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , bridge pup , claw screws , dimarzio evo , evo pickups , fixed bridge , gauge strings , guitar tech , heavy gauge strings , hollow body , les paul , music store , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode