Need a few opinions. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Need a few opinions.

Mmk, well not long ago i bought a jem7v. At the time, it was a huge decision between it and pgm301. I think i can play better on the pgm, but the jem had the trem, and i need a trem.

Ive got it for about a week, until i take it back to the shop to have it properly set up (they couldnt do it when i bought it because the guy who does it all had way too much to do already. Its not too bad as it is now, though) and playing it now, im not sure that i like it too much. I feel like i prefer my indonesian made rg350!! also, the jem has 9s on it, while im really, really used to 10s

So question is, after the jem is setup again, and has 10s put on it, would the guitar become any better feeling? or should i swap it for the pgm and deal with no trem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 06:56 AM

Re: Need a few opinions.

How good a guitar feels, or how it compares with another, is so subjective as to be impossible for anyone but you to answer, but, 10's will alter the feeling a fair bit. I suspect that the 9s are what is putting you off - I play 10s on my guitars to and 9s feel really odd to me now. The Jem set up right should more than meet your expectations! Get it set up right before you make your decision.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 07:33 AM

YEs...SEt it up properly first,before you take a definitive decision.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 AM

Hmm, the Jem isnt a bad guitar you know!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 11:12 AM

D'Addairio makes 9.5's as well. Which is what I have on my 570. My JS1200...I use 9's.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 AM

A proper setup on a guitar like the Jem is one of the most important things to have done before the final judgement imho.

It will totally change your guitar's feel
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Swap it and stick some 10s on the PGM.

Heavy gauge strings + Fixed bridge = HEAVEN.

I was in the same place when I had my Jem7v, I bought my RGA121 and put 10s on it, LOVED it to bits, thought 'aww, this sucks, i saved up for months for my 7v and now prefer a guitar which cost 1/5th the same' so I put 10s on the 7v also, but I still didn't like it over the RGA. I sold it ages ago.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 AM

I agree with Andelusion. The PGM is good with heavier strings.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Illusions View Post
So question is, after the jem is setup again, and has 10s put on it, would the guitar become any better feeling? or should i swap it for the pgm and deal with no trem?
Hmmm.... What's your personal thoughts on it?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Exactly why I hate Floyds... major pain to set up (and because I use a lot of alternate tunings like drop D, and don't even think about going to 1/2 step down), but that's another issue.

Don't forget it's what YOU want and what YOU feel comfortable with. Part of it's outlined in a column on ultimate-guitar, but basically you should thoroughly play both, and whatever feels better to you and whichever you connect to more is the one you should pick.

Here's that column:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/columns/g...usic/tone.html

But on a personal note I'd pick a JEM. Unless we're talking about a PGM90, then I'd have to take it into serious consideration.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok ive actually thought it over a bit, and found that my original ideas are pretty.. stupid lol.

My problems with the JEM are basically: Plays weird. I did say, its not setup the way the shop will do it, *but its not that terrible either*! its still got a good action and stuff, its just slighty flat. Its in tune with itself, though. And I dont like the sound of it, either. I actually prefer the sound of my RG350. But how the hell can this possibly work? no one would ever pick Ibanez Infinities over DiMarzio Evos would they!?!?

I think, both these problems could be to do with the strings. They are 9s, i use 10s. But i dont see how a small change in guage is going to fix the tone issue, and what if it makes the playability.. worse?

When i bought it i also tried a PGM (well, really i played nearly every ibanez in the shop!) I liked the feel on the neck better, and the positioning of the controls is Godly. But it lacks a trem, which i need. So hence, bought the JEM. Weirdly i was thinking earlier that the PGM wouldnt have these problems.. which is rather stupid, as it also comes with 9s. (assuming the strings ARE the things making it feel and sound weird to me)

So now the question is, would having it setup with 10s rectify my problems? im not very sure. Or would you say, a PGM is a better idea? since i do like its neck a little bit more, and the PAF Pros might override the tone issue?

Last edited by Real_Illusions; 12-27-2007 at 06:04 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 PM

Evos arnt to everyones tastes, through my rig they sound totally sterile. You should consider a Jem with Breeds, they seem to have a lot more character and 'sing' better (through my rig).
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Get some 10s on and different pups. Try Breeds or PAFs
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 09:46 AM

Breeds are usually stock in some basswood Jems, what differences will they have in alder (7VWH)?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
My problems with the JEM are basically: Plays weird.
What do you mean plays weird??? That doesn't tell us sh!t!

Quote:
I did say, its not setup the way the shop will do it, *but its not that terrible either*! its still got a good action and stuff, its just slightly flat. Its in tune with itself, though.
As in flatter radius of the neck? Or flat "note" or pitch-wise? Either way.... now I'm surely confused. You say it plays weird, then "it's not that terrible either"! Your sounding more like a girl trying to decide whether to wear the red ribbons or pink ribbons in her hair! You know..... "eeww... which ones? Such a dilemma! What do you think?"

Quote:
And I don't like the sound of it, either. I actually prefer the sound of my RG350. But how the hell can this possibly work? no one would ever pick Ibanez Infinities over DiMarzio Evos would they!?!?
I guess you realized your 350 and the JEM had different pickups. If so, did you really think they would sound the same? Look, it's not uncommon for a player to buy an insturment and change pups to alter the tonal characteristics of it. Some will prefer a slightly weaker pickup too. Or with a different frequency curve based on it's windings and type and placement of the magnets.

Evo's can be "harsh" to some players not used to a hot pickup. Some change them out for the EVO II or Breeds. It's all personal preference. Trial and error. Go to the DiMarzio site and read up..... You'll be surprised what you'll learn.

Quote:
I think, both these problems could be to do with the strings. They are 9s, i use 10s. But i don't see how a small change in guage is going to fix the tone issue, and what if it makes the playability.. worse?
Changing the string gauge is going to make some difference in how the guitar feels (ie. stiffer to play as in doing bends will require a little more hand strength, better "tone" as in the string will be slightly "boomy-ier" and will have a degree of better sustain characteristics) But you're right, it's not going to be the "fix all" you seem to be fixating on! And if it "plays worse" well..... you're just screwed! Sell the JEM cheap and write it off as buying something with no real direction in mind.

But that's hard to understand since you say you played "nearly every Ibanez in the store". I'll bet some mighty fine instruments passed through those hands and because you really didn't know what you were looking for, you threw money away! But that will make you a music stores favorite kind of customer! So there is a "positive" for someone!

Quote:
When i bought it i also tried a PGM (well, really i played nearly every ibanez in the shop!) I liked the feel on the neck better, and the positioning of the controls is Godly. But it lacks a trem, which i need. So hence, bought the JEM. Weirdly i was thinking earlier that the PGM wouldnt have these problems.. which is rather stupid, as it also comes with 9s. (assuming the strings ARE the things making it feel and sound weird to me)
Look, trading for the PGM probably isn't going to make much difference here since it seems you don't have any real understanding of what your looking for or why you need another guitar! Odds are you'll end up in the same boat but with a different set of complaints.

As far as a trem.... I believe your RG350 has one, Yes? What's the problem with that guitar? You seem to like it?

Quote:
So now the question is, would having it setup with 10s rectify my problems? im not very sure. Or would you say, a PGM is a better idea? since i do like its neck a little bit more, and the PAF Pros might override the tone issue?
So here's the real "skinny" on your question..... it's probably not going to "rectify" your problems. It may actually intensify your problems. The guy setting up the guitar may set it up to his preferences which may or may not be to your liking. You may have tuning issues you haven't experienced before. The pups won't magically change to your liking. The neck "flatness" isn't going to suddenly develop more of a radius..... the list goes on!

Bottom line would be to learn more about the guitar you already feel comfortable on (your RG350DX) figure out what the neck spec's are (look on-line at the Ibanez web site) and look for something comparable. I'll bet there is something in the Prestige line that will suite you fine. Guys buy new guitar for many many reasons..... Musicians buy new guitars for only a few select targeted reasons. They need a different tone completely! (wood species, type of guitar solid body compared to semi hollow body etc.) They want a change in neck feel. (from a Les Paul, to Strat, to Ibanez) They have plain wore there current one out! (only to buy the same model) And lastly..... "it looked cool" and they knew they could adapt to it!

Of course your other option is to start modifying your RG350 with some new pups, work in the trem and make sure it's operating to max efficiency. Buy a Blank pickguard and set it up so the controls are exactly where you like them.... all things you could have done with the cash you dropped on the new JEM. Besides.... you'd have had some extra left over for a new set of .10's! Just a thought!

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , bridge pup , claw screws , dimarzio evo , evo pickups , fixed bridge , gauge strings , guitar tech , heavy gauge strings , hollow body , les paul , music store , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode