Need help deciding... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Need help deciding...

on which Jem to get. *See, I've come to the point of considering either a new 7d or a really nice used FP. *Now I haven't played a 7d, but I have played a friend's FP a lot, and I really like it. *The AANJ issue doesn't really concern me, as I don't have a problem with the old heel. *I also REALLY like PAF pros. *
The only difference I can see is the slight difference in neck size and the different PUs. *Can anyone tell me how the 7ds compare to FPs or give me some much appreciated advice on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:04 PM

Need help deciding...

It would seem to me that if you've played the Floral and you really like it and you're happy with PAFs, there isn't much point in considering the 7DBK... I own both and they've each got their charms, but the 7DBK is my Number One - and that's over a 7VWH and a 7PBK as well. I bought the 7DBK as a backup to my Jem and simply fell in love with it's playability and the Breed pickups. *YMMV, of course, but I think that Jems are like most production guitars and though the vast majority meet an expected standard of excellence you have to look around to find the really, really special ones. I don't know where Kirk found my DBK, but I'm grateful he sold it to me back when :biggrin:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 03:47 AM

Need help deciding...

Breeds have a higher output than the pafs. Personally I like this.

But play both if you can. The AANJ does make a difference to some, a bigger difference to others, and none to some of the others.

My friend owns a UV7BK and an FP. As soon as he got his UV it became his main player purely because it was easier to play up high with the AANJ for him, even with the thicker neck.

I've got an old RG and a jem2kDNA. I much prefer the AANJ. But like I said, try both. You might prefer the square heel.

wil..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 08:55 AM

Need help deciding...

I would advise trying out the guitars you are considering to know what you are getting into....you prefer PAF pickups so thats part of your decision, but you only be sure after you try out other JEM's

when I was considering a 7D or a 7V I thought I wanted the 7V because I thought it looked cooler and I like EVO pickups, but after playing both I realize I want the 7D more because it has a slightly thinner neck...I like the Breed pickups and will try them out for awhile and then later if I want I can switch them out pretty easily for EVO's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:16 PM

Need help deciding...

Just try them both out, and you will naturally feel which one you want the most, one will feel more natural than the other, after which you go by instinct. You can always replace the pickups later, the feel matters more than anything, so go with that!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Need help deciding...

well, that's sort of the problem. *As anyone who lives in Tulsa knows, there just aint that many good guitar stores around here. *The only high-end electric that seems to be around in any quantity is the Wolfgang and their high-end worthiness seems to be debated. *This means I could either drive 100 miles to the Guitar Center (yuk) in OKC or drive further than that to Dallas. *I'd be happy to take the trip, but school starts Monday, and I work every day until then. *After that, I'd be hard pressed to take a trip anywhere (3 jobs and full-time student). *Does anybody know some other good places to look besides the vendors on Jemsite?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 01:34 PM

Need help deciding...

hey i know how it is, i had to drive 2 hours to Chicago to try out JEMs.......theres zero in my hometwon of Madison (population 200,000)

the FP has a Wizard neck, right? if thats the case the difference in the neck of the 7D and the FP is very slight, the 7D is only slightly thicker i think

but theres many more here who know more about this stuff than me (even though i'm a quick learner!) and they will correct me if i'm wrong
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 03:06 PM

Need help deciding...

Quote:
the FP has a Wizard neck, right?
The FP has the original JEM neck. The FP and the DBK is quite different so like everyone else I'll recommend that you get to try them out. Preferably at the same time so that you can switch between them and find out which one you like best.

Or...
Just buy one of them. They're both great guitars.

Tags
evo pickups , jem neck , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode