Need help, got bad stringbuzz. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Need help, got bad stringbuzz.

Hi all, first post here on jemsite.

I'we got a Jem/RG550 hybrid that has acted up on me and i need some help.

The guitar is a perleguitars jem body with whizard 1 neck and trem from a RG550, other hardware is dimarzio. I had the neck modification from original Square to AANJ made by the best guitarworkshop in Sweden (guitartech Åke Björnstad, gitarrmakaren)

Thing is, the guitar was working brilliantly until a couple of days ago. I hadent played it for a couple of days and suddenly it had a bad stingbuzz on the low e and a strings.

Since the guitartech has a two months waitinglist i thought i do a resetup myself.
I relaxed the trussrod alltoghether, raised the action rediculesly high, put new strings on but i still have a bad buzz.
When looking at the guitar the neck have a substantial bow. If i press fret 1 and 24 on the low e-string there is slighly less than half a creditcard thickness clearance at fret 5.

There is a buzz on all of the neck, from fret 1 to 15 so it's not a high fret.

I'm out of ideas, any thoughs of whats wrong here?

/Peter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:48 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Need help, got bad stringbuzz.

If it's buzzing 1 to 15, chances are the neck is warped. Tighten the truss rod till the neck is dead straight and lower the 2 trem post and try again.

And by buzzing, it's buzzing clean or through the amp. If it isn't buzzing through the amp, it's not considered a fret buzz.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
If it's buzzing 1 to 15, chances are the neck is warped. Tighten the truss rod till the neck is dead straight and lower the 2 trem post and try again.

And by buzzing, it's buzzing clean or through the amp. If it isn't buzzing through the amp, it's not considered a fret buzz.
I tightened the trussrod so now the neck is dead straight, i lowered the action to about 3mm at fret 12. It's still buzzing, i can clearly hear the buzz through the amp.
I guess i need to take it to someone who actuallt knows what he's doing.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM

No...not yet. Be patient here. Now since you've got the neck back to near straight, if raising your trem studs doesn't help, then you may just need to put a shim in the nut...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
No...not yet. Be patient here. Now since you've got the neck back to near straight, if raising your trem studs doesn't help, then you may just need to put a shim in the nut...
Ok. I gotta try to get a hold of shims then. Thanks.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM

make shims cheaper

cut a coke/pepsi can open
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Reviews: 4

Yep. Shimming the nut is a remedy for first few frets buzzing. That should solve the problem. If that still doesn't work, try using a mallet and knock all the frets in, making sure that the frets at all seated properly.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
If that still doesn't work, try using a mallet and knock all the frets in, making sure that the frets at all seated properly.

Do not do this, re seating a high fret is more involved than whacking it with a hammer.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Do not do this, re seating a high fret is more involved than whacking it with a hammer.
LOL...I use a 2lb sledge on mine ALL the time

Guys, I can tell you from experience. If the OP can't find an obvious problem himself, He's far better off bringing it to a luthier to get things sorted out. The way his post reads, there are a plethora of other possible causes. Trying to repair any one of them could result in a useless neck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
LOL...I use a 2lb sledge on mine ALL the time

Guys, I can tell you from experience. If the OP can't find an obvious problem himself, He's far better off bringing it to a luthier to get things sorted out. The way his post reads, there are a plethora of other possible causes. Trying to repair any one of them could result in a useless neck.
Agreed, reading stuff on the internet is fine and dandy, but nothing can compare to years of hands on experience. And 9 times out of 10, someone shooting in the dark with no real idea of whats going on will only make matters worse. If you don't know WHY something is happening, you will never be able to fix it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Agreed, reading stuff on the internet is fine and dandy, but nothing can compare to years of hands on experience. And 9 times out of 10, someone shooting in the dark with no real idea of whats going on will only make matters worse. If you don't know WHY something is happening, you will never be able to fix it.
Nuff said!!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 PM

are you sure its the strings buzzing ?
sounds like the bridge could be loose,
or maybe a loose pickup is resonating at low frequencies ?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
are you sure its the strings buzzing ?
sounds like the bridge could be loose,
or maybe a loose pickup is resonating at low frequencies ?
or a stud anchor has broken loose, or the neck has twisted, or the scarf has swollen/shrunk, or nothing has changed other than whether, or.............

Your suggestions are good ones, but the OP needs a luthier to at least have a good long look at it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 11

@Peter Swe:

If you do take it to a luthier (any good one. Don't wait 2 months for that other guy), see if you can hang out and watch what he does. That's a great way to learn to do it yourself!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Yea, thanks a lot for the input everyone!

I will take it to someone that has a lot more skill than i do. I have a basic understanding of how to set up a guitar, trussrod adjustment, string height and stuff like that but this is a bit over my head. I'm gonna try to find a skilled luthier other than the guy who built the guitar for me. He is as good as they get but there are alot of folks that want his services.

I'l check in later with an update, i doubt i will get a hold of a luthier now during the hollidays.

/Peter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode