Need help Identifying a JS type Ibanez - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Need help Identifying a JS type Ibanez

Ok so the other day I walk into a guitar store and I found this Gorgeous ibanez guitar with a js style body, mahogany body, mahogany neck with ebony freboard, HSS pickup config(somone put EMG'S in it), 3 mini on off pickup selectors, lo pro trem and a gorgeous blue burst or something finish. It was 499 so I bought it. Thing is I have no idea what model it is.

Its not like the early JS models which have sharper body egdes, this one is fully curved. It has a thicker body also. The guy who sold it to me said he thought it was a 1990 s540 radius, but when I find info about the s540r it always has a maple neck and a basswood body. Anyone know what guitar this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 10:41 AM
HDS

Re: Need help Identifying a JS type Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor_chaos
Ok so the other day I walk into a guitar store and I found this Gorgeous ibanez guitar with a js style body, mahogany body, mahogany neck with ebony freboard, HSS pickup config(somone put EMG'S in it), 3 mini on off pickup selectors, lo pro trem and a gorgeous blue burst or something finish. It was 499 so I bought it. Thing is I have no idea what model it is.

Its not like the early JS models which have sharper body egdes, this one is fully curved. It has a thicker body also. The guy who sold it to me said he thought it was a 1990 s540 radius, but when I find info about the s540r it always has a maple neck and a basswood body. Anyone know what guitar this might be?
JS sharper body egdes? Na. you must be think of the "S" 470 or something. JS's are radius. They stopped selling the 540 radius when the JS came out, they are the same body.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Its not though. Its like no other ibanez I have ever seen.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 12:19 PM

Re: Need help Identifying a JS type Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor_chaos

JS sharper body egdes? Na. you must be think of the "S" 470 or something. JS's are radius. They stopped selling the 540 radius when the JS came out, they are the same body.
The R body not exactly the same as a JS body.

What's the year of this guitar? It may help us narrow it down. A picture would be of benefit also.

~d~
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 12:44 PM

Easiest thing might be to just look for a match in the catalogs on Rich's site (Ibanez Rules banner at top of page). But incidentally there isn't such a thing as an "S540R" (that would be a morph of an S-series, and an R-series). The 3 different early 540 models were 540S, 540R and 540P. And looking at the catalogs, it looks like the Radius always had the 5-way switch, rather than the 3 mini-toggles (like the 540P and 540S had early on). Was there a Radius in 87 that maybe had the 3 toggles?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 01:47 PM

Maybe that's the 'sharp edge js' he's talking about.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1988/p.jpg
(Yes, I know it's a power model!!)

Umm.. your new guitar could be indeed a radius, but without the '87 catalogues, we won't know for sure. All the later models had the 5-way swith instead of the 3 minis.

I'm sure the majority of the people here would be very thankful for a photo of your axe
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Ill get a picture soon, but the sides are curved not sharp like the one in that picture.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

When I bought it the guy said he thinks its a 1987 model, the body shape is exactly like the 1988 s540 radius, but the body and neck is mahogany and it has 3 mini toggles.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

He first said it was 1990, but then said that he thought it was a 1987 cause he said the other s540r(which had a 5 way) that he was selling was a 1990.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 09:07 PM

IIRC all the 1987 models had 3 mini switches, so my guess is that year is right. But cut out the "s540 radius" thing. It's either an "S" (sabre) or an "R" (radius). There be no mix n' match. If it's mahogany and has an angled jack on the face of the guitar, it's an S540 (sabre). If it's got the jack on the side of the body, it's probably a radius, but I never heard of a stock mahogany one; certainly not with a mahogany neck.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

The Jack is on the side, and yes its all Mahogany, the neck is a three piece neck. Looks like mahogany-rosewood-mahogany, not sure about the rosewood, but its deffinatly mahogany.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 06:44 AM

Hmm.. can you post the serial number?? Does it even have a floyd tremolo?? Does it, shapewise, look like the other radiuses on the catalogue pages??
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 07:54 AM

Well, I'm confused. Sounds custom, modded, or something. Pics would help.

Tags
angled jack , basswood body , body shape , floyd trem , mahogany body , maple neck , mini switches , mini toggle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode