Need help identifying an Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Need help identifying an Jem?

I have the opportunity to purchase what appears to be an early 90's hodgepodge of jem/RG. It has a monkey grip & swirl body, as you can see from the pics, however it does not have the tiger claw routing under the trem.

The serial number on the neck, F316322, suggests a 93 Fujigen neck (see photo), and it appears to me not to be a Jem neck. However, there is no serial on the neck plate of the body.

The owner told me he received this from a "jemsite moderator":
"In the early 90's, there was a Custom Shop in Bensalem Pennsylvania, where you could get Japanese necks and bodies assembled the way you wanted them assembled - pick the finish, pickups, etc. These were assembled in the US out of Japanese parts."

He is trying to get $1000 for it and I am wondering if it is worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited by pamisano; 09-28-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Re: Need help identifying an Jem?

It's not a JEM. JEMs never had shark inlays.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamisano View Post
The owner told me he received this from a "jemsite moderator":
"In the early 90's, there was a Custom Shop in Bensalem Pennsylvania, where you could get Japanese necks and bodies assembled the way you wanted them assembled - pick the finish, pickups, etc. These were assembled in the US out of Japanese parts."
He is not telling the truth. However, it is a cool looking guitar. Not a Jem, though.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

What about the body? I realize, overall, it is not an authentic jem, but I am trying to determine if it is worth the asking price. From what I can tell all the parts are authentic Ibanez parts, including the trem, but I have not seen a Jem body, with the monkey grip like this one has, without the tiger claw routing. Am I wrong about the tiger claw routing?

Thanks,

Pete
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea151 View Post
He is not telling the truth. However, it is a cool looking guitar. Not a Jem, though.
Not telling the truth about the custom shop in Bensalem, PA?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Not telling the truth, period.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM

It's likely a custom body with a custom paint job, at best a non-Jem Ibanez body with a grip and custom paint added. Might well be a quality guitar, impossible to say from pictures, but it's certainly far from "authentic" and definitely not an official Jem of any kind. I find $1000 to be an outrageous asking price, about half of that would probably be fair unless the particular guitar is really your cup of tea.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:14 PM

My guess would be an RG770 that had a grip routed in it and swirled. The swirl looks great, I'd almost say ATD quality. Definitely a cool guitar and the quality of the swirl makes it worth something. Probably not $1000, but maybe $700? You NEVER see custom guitars reselling for anything near what it cost to make them, so keep that in mind.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Need help identifying an Jem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
My guess would be an RG770 that had a grip routed in it and swirled. The swirl looks great, I'd almost say ATD quality. Definitely a cool guitar and the quality of the swirl makes it worth something.
Ditto! No Lion's Claw.
And headstock repainted and new green decal.

Cool axe... replace the pickups for some green ones! And, if possible, the sharktooth inlays for some neon green sharktooth inlays.
It'd be fantastic then!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 AM

It was a 770 with the body contours rounded.I did the mods and the swirl in 2003.I also made the clear pickguard on a router table.This was in the classifieds a month or so ago.I emailed the owner and let him know its history.It had a yellow base with the other colors swirled over it.I think it had some cracks by the locking nut but it was stable.It played and sounded great when I sold it in 2005.After a year of messing with the swirling process this and a handful of others actually turned out decent.I still do a few every year for fun.It was rattle can clear but buffed out okay.An auto body guy does my clears now.Nice to see an old swirl on here since I still haven't figured out how to post pictures.I would say 700 would be fairer depending on fret wear.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:40 AM

As a follow up, it really bothers me that this guy is bsing after I told him the same thing.They were all ibby parts with dimarzios.It was sold to a musicgoround in mn.Why people can't just be honest escapes me.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM

cool guitar.but i say the price of a normal 770/750 less or more if you like it.
no 1000€.but is a cool guitar.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Very cool looking guitar, and a very nice swirl!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

gorgeous guitar but would look even better with a pyramid maple neck,my oath it would
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Maybe green sharkies and pickups? That might be too over the top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode