Need more info on the "FLO" - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:03 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
If the Fernandes system requires you to replace your bridge pickup, then why does Steve not use the Fernandes "driver" pickup with his?
fernandes & sustaniac allow you to use the current bridge & middle PU. only the neck pu needs to be replaced with the sustainer driver... glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
If the Fernandes system requires you to replace your bridge pickup, then why does Steve not use the Fernandes "driver" pickup with his?
fernandes & sustaniac allow you to use the current bridge & middle PU. only the neck pu needs to be replaced with the sustainer driver... glen
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure since someone above mentioned otherwise about the Fernandes system.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:33 PM

There are tons of misconceptions and bad information out there about Sustainer systems.

All the accurate info is out there... people just need to go look. (Though i'm sure a Google search would probably lead a lot of people right back to Jemsite... it seems to be a subject that comes up a lot. )

The aftermarket Fernandes systems come with a pickup already, but all you need to do is map a third-party pickup's wires to the Fernandes equivalents and you're set. It might take a bit of "reverse engineering"... i'm not sure if they include instructions with sufficient detail to allow an easy swap, but anyone experienced with guitar electronics can probe the pickups with a meter and figure out which wire goes where.

That's one of the big advantages of the Sustainiac system... you'll get instructions specifically geared towards your installation. I'm sure the only reason so many people are putting Fernandes sustainers in their guitars is because Fernandes spends a LOT more on marketing than Maniac Music, and thus, very few people have even heard of Sustainiac.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
along those lines, i'd like to hear the reason why vai sticks with the fernandes system, which is more limited (and less evolved) than the sustainiac... glen
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:28 PM

So how does the Sustainiac sound as a neck pickup? Single-coil? humbucker? Strat-y? Different? I ask because I'm considering getting one for my Strat (kinda my monster that I keep adding to over time It's a cheap guitar that I don't feel bad about gutting, and it feels really nice to me ) once I get some money (getting a job this summer).
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:36 PM

You can request the neck pickup of the Stealth Plus to sound like a single coil or a humbucker when you order it... they just tweak the preamp for it.

I ordered mine in the humbucker flavour, but i can't tell you first-hand how it sounds because i still haven't installed it yet.

All the info you could ever want is right here: http://sustainiac.com/stealth.htm
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:41 PM

Nice...see, I use the neck pickup of my Strat a lot, I love the sound of it, so if I can get this to sound like a Strat-y single coil neck pickup, I'm sold

Do/did they make a 7-string Sustainiac?

Anyone seen these? http://sustainiac.com/model-b.htm Looks...interesting
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:01 PM

Well yes the fernandes sustainer comes with a bridge pickup, and they have almost no information about their product.
Sustainiac has a lot of info and Alan Hover who is a great guy is always ready to answer all of your questions.
And Steve Using Fernandes instead of Sustainiac. i think that is "Money" what is making Vai choose and use fernandes. or another option is he doesnt Know about Sustainiac.
On the dvd live at the astoria, correct me if im wrong, i heard that Bylly Shennan says that he wanted a Sustainer for his bass and contacted the guys at Fernandes but with no response. Then i say well sustainiac has a bass sustainer why he doesnt look over there. then again he maybe doesnt know about sustainiac.
and for the sound i ordered mine in Hambucker flavor too and i have to tell you that is the sweetest neck pickup ive ever used. better sounding than my uv777bk and parker p38
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Do/did they make a 7-string Sustainiac?
Did you actually read the Stealth page? Do a Ctrl-F on the page for "7-string".

Their Model B sustainers were pretty neat. George Lynch was a big fan of them, but he found using them onstage was awkward because of the big magnetic transducer on the headstock and the extra cable. It's essentially the same effect as touching your headstock to the speaker cabinet with your amp cranked, only more controlled. Instant sustain and feedback overtones. Very cool.

If you want to hear some really cool stuff done with similar technology, check out any of Michael Brook's work, and also Daniel Lanois. Michael Brook invented what he calls the "infinite guitar" in the early '80s, which he's very secretive about. I believe it's an external amplifier that feeds a signal back into a sustainer-type magnetic device on the guitar, much like a Sustainiac Stealth, only more "organic". He has one, Lanois has one and The Edge (of U2) has one. Michael Brook is credited on The Joshua Tree (as "Michael Brooke") for the infinite guitar work on songs like "With or Without You".
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:14 PM

Nope, didn't read the whole page I don't know why I didn't.

That "infinite guitar" sounds interesting though.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:16 PM

I also have one
Check out my bands page. and if you want to hear the sustainiac in action download the song "Trip Guitar" in this song i have a little of sustainiac action going on

http://ente.iuma.com

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , fernandes sustainer , neck pickup , neck pup , paf pro , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dragonforce info for sydney show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode