Need more info on the "FLO" - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Need more info on the "FLO"

I know I should do a forum search instead...
i actually did a search but i didnt find what i needed. anyways...
i have this crazy idea that i want to build my own FLO
can anyone tell me all you know about the FLO? and what should I stick in (let's say a 7vwh) to modify to a FLO?
any info would be great (e.g. neck pickup = ?)
i know i might not be able to build one exactly like vai's but i want to get as close as possible. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:07 AM

There might be more to it, but I think Flo is basically a floral jem painted white (hence the name Flo) with a Fernandes sustainer installed. It replaces the neck pickup.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of places that install a fernandes sustainer (unless you're brave enough to take powertools to your guitar). I live in Texas, and according to the website, the nearest installation center I could find was in California, I think...

-J
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:44 AM

Apparently Mikey is working on an "All About Flo" section for vai.com. Mikey!! Quick like a bunny!! hehe. The anticipation is killing me

wil..
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:30 AM

If you go with a Sustainiac Stealth instead of a Fernandes sustainer, you may be able to get away with less routing, since their amp circuit board is MUCH smaller than the Fernandes board, and may be able to fit in the JEM's control cavity with a battery.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:59 PM

Is the Neck PU PafPro or sth else?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:34 PM

maybe this is one for the tech section, but I'd be really interested to know if anyone's been able to install a sustaniac stealth sustainer in a jem without routing...

-Jeff.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

the neck pickup does not look like a Paf Pro
it must be something else. thats what i want to know...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:03 PM

I think this has been discussed before.

The neck pup is a fernandez sustainer pup. The second coil is a dummy. The sustainer pup can be used as a normal single, or as the sustainer.

wil..
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 11:28 PM

I have an ibanez rg570 modified this way but with a Sustaniac instead of the fernadnes sustainer, Dimarzio evolution on bridge.
I must say that is an awesome sustainer, and better yet a really good neck pickup(only if you choose the stealth plus sustainer)
and for the electronics, it will be a very tight tigh fit.
but the sustainiac will do the trick
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN777
I have an ibanez rg570 modified this way but with a Sustaniac instead of the fernadnes sustainer, Dimarzio evolution on bridge.
I must say that is an awesome sustainer, and better yet a really good neck pickup(only if you choose the stealth plus sustainer)
and for the electronics, it will be a very tight tigh fit.
but the sustainiac will do the trick
so you installed all that by yourself or you had a tech to do that for you?
and how much does it cost for that mod? (total)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:02 AM

And what about the Bridge PU?

Does Steve use the sustainer as a neck PU? I can't imagine that it could sound as good as a Evolution oder PAF?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 PM

well it costed like $250 plus shipping and i installed it myself.
Well the sustainiac sounds better than my neck pickup in my Universe uv777bk and my parker p38 go figure
well for the installation you only have to know the basics(how to solder, shielding with tape, and lots of patience!!!!!)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:53 PM

and for the bridge pickup the sustainiac allows you to choose your bridge pickup, even active pickups are an option.

with the fernandes you have to replace your bridge pickup with an special pickup(driver) suplied in the fernandes sustainer kit.

by the way i trust even more in Sustainiac that is an American company, they have a great great service i sended like 10 question and got a response for all of them!!!! and they only do that Sustainers!!!!! not like fernandes that make guitars, sustainers etc. etc. .....
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 05:08 PM

Sustainiac are the originators of the magnetic sustainer design. I feel they have a better product and better service. Allan Hoover will give you detailed installation instructions tailored to your exact switching and pickup setup.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 05:44 AM

If the Fernandes system requires you to replace your bridge pickup, then why does Steve not use the Fernandes "driver" pickup with his?

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , fernandes sustainer , neck pickup , neck pup , paf pro , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dragonforce info for sydney show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode