Need a new Single Coil on my Floral - recommendations please - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Need a new Single Coil on my Floral - recommendations please

Well, the middle single on my Floral is measuring at less than 5 ohms resistance, and no matter how I adjust the pups it's behaving more as a hinderance than a help... I've put a Breed in the bridge and wired up a push/push tone pot to split the humbuckers - I've also wired up a new switch so that I get the neck-bridge pickup combo in the middle (3) switch position, and this gives me a very nice in-between tone... But the only place the middle pup sounds half-way decent is when the 'buckers are split and I set the switch in pos. 2 (neck-mid) - otherwise, it just plain sucks... so it's time to replace it... I would ideally like to put in something that will fit under the pink cover (cosmetics matter to me :-) or that is available in a pink or green finish... Any recommendations guys? Please? I'm going to be stuck with whatever I chose for a while - like it or not - so I really could use some help here :biggrin:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 06:35 PM

Need a new Single Coil on my Floral

How about an HS-2 wired for single-coil mode only?
That's what DiMarzio recommended to me when I asked them what pickup
I should buy to put between the Breeds I ordered.
They said they'll balance out very nicely with the Breeds..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 08:24 PM

I highly recommend the Blue Velvet. It's a very balanced single coil, and it's relatively high output, so it matches well with humbuckers in the neck & bridge positions. I've tried it with evolutions in a basswood body, with Air Norton/Steves Special in an alder body, with AN/Tone Zone in a mahogany body, and with FRED/Super 3 in a mahogany body, and it sounds good in all of 'em. I'd probably put Blue Velvets in my Jems but I'm too lazy to take them apart!

--B
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 11:32 AM

Love my VirtuAL 2 Bridge model p'up (DP 409) in the middle position, wired as a single. http://www.dimarzio.com/vir_2_b.html

Haven't taken my Strat out of the case since i put that bad boy in my Jem

~Kenny
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:09 PM

I'd STRONGLY advise you to try KinMan pickups.

www.kinman.com

You'll never regret this...

Listen to this tone...

http://www.kinman.com/html/mediaCentre/sounds.htm

(Edited by Spiral Acid at 2:13 pm on Feb. 27, 2002)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I've got an HS-2 on order all ready... Since I have a push/push tone pot that coil taps the pickups for me, I'm going to wire it the same as the others - it'll be humbucking when they're humbucking and single coil when they're single coils... Since the middle position on the switch is actually neck - bridge, the HS-2 never has to stand alone - I just wanted something that would complement the PAF Pro and Breed, and Dimarzio suggested this... Thanks to chainsawzombie for inadvertently recommending I go to the source for a recommendation :thumbsup:

Tags
air norton , alder body , basswood body , bridge pickup , bridge position , coil mode , coil tap , mahogany body , paf pro , pickup combo , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode