Need opinions about resto - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Need opinions about resto

Howdy guys im not sure if this is a thread yet ive looked but havent found anything but feel free to delete if there is something here,

my question is i was lucky enough to get my hands on a fairly mint uv777gr love the thing to do death its showing a little age but when it comes time id be keen to get it fully restored to its former glory i was just wondering would that affect the price in a negative light at all if its done properly?? simple question and maybe dumb i know but if ya dont ask ya never know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 PM

Reviews: 8
Re: Need opinions about resto

1's off, even the best refin will lower the price of any guitar.

Second, the guitar was made to be played. Dings and dents add to the character of the guitar. Granted, they can be a bit disappointing when they happen, but any guitar that's played regularly will eventually get some, no matter how careful you are with them.

Don't worry about getting dings, just play the guitar and enjoy it. If you worry too much, you'll never play it because you'll be afraid of dinging it.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybass View Post
1's off, even the best refin will lower the price of any guitar.

Second, the guitar was made to be played. Dings and dents add to the character of the guitar. Granted, they can be a bit disappointing when they happen, but any guitar that's played regularly will eventually get some, no matter how careful you are with them.

Don't worry about getting dings, just play the guitar and enjoy it. If you worry too much, you'll never play it because you'll be afraid of dinging it.
Fair call dude! but it was just more of a have it in mint condition sorta thing since its just a played at home guitar and kinda my pride and joy of my collection lol
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM

The ONLY repairs or work that does not diminish the value of the instrument are structural repairs. So if the body is split in two, and you put it back together, you have increased the value from nothing to a little.
Now if you take your guitar with heavy road rash, and refinish it, youhave decreased the value from a fair bit to a little. Make sense?

In other words leave it alone if it does not effect the playability of the guitar. Cosmetic work always decreases the value of any instrument.

The ONLY case where that may not be true is fixing someones half assed home refinish, and then, a beat to **** factory finish is worth more than the prettiest refin.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM

as said above, yes refinishing will decrease the value of your guitar, but it sounds more like you want to refinish it for yourself and not for resale. If that is the case, go ahead and refinish it. I WOULD absolutely recommend having a professional do the job though........
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Reviews: 13

What about for instance, if you replace a rusty tremelo with a new unit, the same type as the original? Surely that won't effect the value?

-Wolfram
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 PM

If it is NOS then no it won't hurt the value much. Just keep the old one with the guitar.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Sorry Churchie..... I just noticed that your post said restore and not refinish... my mistake.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Sorry Churchie..... I just noticed that your post said restore and not refinish... my mistake.
All good bud all helpful info!!

as for refinish for resale i dont think id see this leave my hand so it would prob be for myself and it was a good question brought up about replacing rusted parts with NOS pieces? the only probs with the GR at the moment its a tiny nick in the headstock barely noticable and something dropped on it from previous owner but not wood showing with small crack to clear coat and on the back are fine hairline cracks looks like in the paint not affecting the clear coat? im guessing age
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:47 AM

I wouldn't touch it myself and in no way would i want a refinished one if i was buying.
As original as possible is what i look for in vintage guitars,beater or not.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM
VCR

Same here...keep it all original if you can. Even melted tremolos work for quite some time with the worse case being replace a saddle when needed.

Maybe if you took it apart and give it the spit shine of your life you might be happy? Cleaning the crud under mounting screws and such makes me smile when done
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

So general feeling is leave her alone, i think its time to get a pro setup and just enjoy it!! i have a J Custom 7 sitting home and i still can't put the GR down, also on a side note anyone know what kinda prices theyre going for these days i payed a lil more then i shouldve but you do crazy things for highly wanted items
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschurchie View Post
So general feeling is leave her alone, i think its time to get a pro setup and just enjoy it!! i have a J Custom 7 sitting home and i still can't put the GR down, also on a side note anyone know what kinda prices theyre going for these days i payed a lil more then i shouldve but you do crazy things for highly wanted items
From what I've seen of the UV777GR...They can go anywhere in the range of $3000-$4000 US....

And don't feel bad...I've literally chucked money at guitars that have been major "wants" of mine....
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschurchie View Post
I don't know the value's myself.......especially in today's marketplace.

I'd love it if you'd post pics of your UV and let us see whatcha got.....lol
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I don't know the value's myself.......especially in today's marketplace.

I'd love it if you'd post pics of your UV and let us see whatcha got.....lol
heres some ****ty pics for ya until i get detail ones when im home bud.....

Heres some pics of the damage from the previous owner

Hope it wasnt to much haha

Tags
uv777gr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode