New 15th Anniversary model JEM77FP just arrived... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

New 15th Anniversary model JEM77FP just arrived...

Hi. I received my new JEM77FP yesterday just in time to change the strings to my preferred gauge (.008-.03 and adjust the string height, and then go off to band practice to try it out.

This is my first JEM. I do own another Ibanez guitar, a 1978 Artist EQ which I bought new in 1978. This JEM has quite a nice, sustaining sound. I've sold all of my 'shredder' type guitars, and this was to be my replacement for them. As of last night, I believe that the guitar will do the trick. It's very easy to play, and I can move very quickly all over the fretboard. It plays beautifully for a 25.5" neck. I typically like the 24.75 or 25" scales because I have smaller hands. But, I was nicely surprised at how easy the JEM's neck is to navigate.

Yes, the instrument did come with the extra rear cover signed by Steve V.

I believe the JEM77FP will be a nice addition to my current arsenal.
Mesadude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:39 PM

Hi!

Congratulations on it. You gotta post some pics real soon. I'd love to see it.

If it's not already too late, hold off on changing the strings. Take time to know the guitar first. Especially since you are new to owning a Jem guitar. You may realize that you may like the guitar the way it is already set up. IMO, a month is good amount of time for the average person to get to know there guitar VERY WELL and know for sure what changes (if any) they'd like to make. Obviously if the guitar is in serious need of a set up (neck bowed too much, intonation out, etc) then that's a different story.

I wish you and your new lady the best of luck!

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

New Jem, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
Hi!

Congratulations on it. You gotta post some pics real soon. I'd love to see it.

If it's not already too late, hold off on changing the strings. Take time to know the guitar first. Especially since you are new to owning a Jem guitar. You may realize that you may like the guitar the way it is already set up.
I wish you and your new lady the best of luck!

Mike 777 Haug
Hi. Thanks for the tip. But, I've been playing since 1963, and I know what works for me. The strings that came on the JEM were .009 thru .054, much too heavy for my style. If the 8-38mil strings don't quite work out, I'll progress up to 9-42mil sets. That's my limit for quick lead playing. All of my solid body electrics are strung with either set, depending on what I do with the guitars. The JEM is to be used for loud lead riffing mainly, ergo the extra-light gauge strings.

The setup was NOT the best on this JEM. I don't know if this was done at the factory, but I would doubt it, since I read that the factory ships them with 9-42mil sets.
I'll post some more later after using the guitar a bit more; and possibly a little more tweaking. As soon as I can snap some pix, I'll post them.
Regards,
Mesadude
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 12:40 PM

Congrats on the FP....Love mine.......
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:42 PM

congratulations man! Join the club! have fun with it!

Ralph.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Enjoy !
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:13 PM

Would you mind mailing it to me so I can... um... take a look at it?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

JEM 77FP update...

I've had it a week now. The 8-38 string setup is really working out fine. The instrument is staying in tune very well, and the intonation is pretty darned close all over the neck.

I've been able to put it through its paces with my small setup, a Boogie Mark IV, and my large setup, Mesa Road King with Carvin Vai Legacy 4x12 cabinet. I'm getting some really nice tones. This guitar can be used for ANY type of music. It'll shred, or it will purr. I'm impressed.

I remember reading an article about the JEM's on a guitar retailer's website who was definitely panning the guitars, calling them 'cheap' and poorly constructed (to paraphrase). I don't know what the reviewer was on, but he wasn't reviewing the instrument I just received! It's definitely the opposite, a quality guitar. My fingers slip over the fretboard like butter, and the satin finish on the neck is also very slippery. I can access any fret on the neck and lead playing at the very top is pretty easy. I also like the scalloped upper frets. This allows the notes to ring out just a little more than usual in that register. Very nice. I also love the monkey grip. I can grab the guitar here when standing around between songs, and don't have to worry that the strap might come loose, etc. Cool. The FR Lo-Pro Edge tremolo is cool too. For some reason, the instrument holds it's tuning even when I've manipulated the tremolo a lot. This is especially cool with the extra-light gauge of string that I like to use.

And, the tone! This guitar has a very sweet voice. With my main rig, I get some killer bass notes out of it (nice with the light strings). The highs are very clear and ringing. I love the in-between Strat-style voicings of the inner pickup settings. Everyone in the bands I play in also have commented on what a nice tone this thing has.

Thanks for reading. Eventually I'll post a pic or two. Don't have access to a digital camera at the moment.
Regards,
Mesadude
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:15 AM

It's strange.. I've already got a fp... But anytime I see one, I want to buy it again and again... It must be G.A.S!
JS
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:28 PM

Glad yours is working out with the new strings!.

I like FPs too. In fact I just up Floral Jem tonight. Unfortunately the neck had been changed to an RG neck, and pink knobs were changed to black, but everything else was intact.Got it for $450....

wemedge
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 06:17 PM

That's the one from Songbird Music - the switch tip was replaced too, there's a couple of deep dings in the body, the cover of the single coil is gone, and the pickguard was replaced with a home-made slightly smokey-grey transparent one that doesn't have access slots or holes to get you to the pickup height adjustment screws - it was converted to be direct mount with little blocks of wood fastened in. You'd have to take that off to get in there... until you slot the pickguard.

I saw that one, played it a bit too. You got it at a much better price than it was originally posted for...
An FP was my first Ibanez, back in '88.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 3
if I was to buy a new JEM, I'd go for the FP. but... are they still having problems with that neck pocket crack? seems like it wouldn't be worth buying a new guitar just to have that crack appear (I'm kinda anal about cracks in my guitars)...

congratulations on a nice guitar. hopefully, you'll get years of pleasure out of playing it
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 11:33 PM

...if you search the forum you will see many posts about the various cracks. I've seen EVERY BRAND OF GUITAR with them. But that's been said. Search and see. If you look in my back yard, you'll see a Kramer neck used as a plant stick...the body conveniently broke at the neck joint many years ago...lol
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 03:34 AM

I'll search the forums about those cracks... don't want to hijack this thread...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 05:03 AM

Congrats dude....

I think you're the only other person I've found on here that
ACTUALLY plays an 8-38 set!!!!

Tags
addario exl , edge trem , electric guitar , ernie ball , gauge strings , mesa road king , monkey grip , mounted pickups , neck bow , neck joint , neck pocket crack , pickup height , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode