new 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

new 555

guys i've just purchased a jem jr.555 bk and am looking
for any feedback on this model .I personally think it plays fast & hard
the bridge isnt too flash but next jem model up is over $1000 australian more, seemingly for nothing more than a flasher bridge.

any feed back welcome good or bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 02:28 AM

I've naver played one, but all i've heard about it is negavite...To each his own, then...I guess.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 04:10 AM

ye fine so its not as good as the 7vwh or the 7bsb jems but its still a nice little axe if you havent got the money to shell out for a higher jems then its fine i mean i love my js100 and every1 dosent like it that can oford the js1000. The the fact is i couldnt shell out the money for a js1000 so im upgradin it slowly over time and I LIKE IT if u like the 555 then enjoy

i say well done congrats on your new axe i personlay think the same as the js100 nice axe but not as good as the higher ones, still good.

i wasnt havin a go at anyone in this post..............................
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 05:03 AM

I really don't see the point of wanting feedback for a guitar you've purchased. If you are happy with it, does it really matter what others think?

Congrats on the axe!

- raijin
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 06:32 AM

too true

Well.... as i understand it, its still got the monkey grip...isnt that all that matters

Enjoy your new guitar, i cant see any problems with the 555s except the trem can be a bit tricky at times... but it only seems a problem when youve been using a lo pro, but then most trems seem a promlem when youve been using a lo pro...

Hope you have fun with the thing anyways, thats what its all about.

Rob
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 03:08 PM

Congrats on your new axe. IMHO, the 555BK is one of the best looking Jems around in terms of body color and pickguard choice. I love the looks of the black mother of pearl pickguard.

It's true that the lo-pro is a much better trem system. I just got a RG3120 and it plays like a dream. I also have a custom made Warmoth and a USA Kramer with original Floyds in them. (The ones with fancy chrome screws for trem studs - no pressed in bushings. They screw up and down right in the wood of the body. Although they work just fine and stay in tune, they're junk compared to an edge or lo-pro.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:27 PM

Reviews: 3
Dude, the only time you would have a problem with a 555 is after playing an edge or lo pro edge. After you play one you're pretty much spoiled. Personally, I say if you're trying to slowly upgrade, buy an rg 570 or 520, they cost less than a jem 555 or js 100, and have an edge and a great neck on them already. Put some dimarzios in them and you're golden. Till you get a prestige or a jem7 or whatever.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 04:33 AM

ye the only thing that made my get a js instead of a rg is the simple fract that i had to have the js shape i just love it so.....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 12:17 PM

whatever works

the only thing I would say that is bad about 555 is its not a full jem.its a jem JR and thats what it was ment to be.its still a nice playing guitar.I think its way better than a rg.they have the low sunk neck and the recessed trem.I would rather buy the dbk just because of the trem though.they do have good pickups!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 05:40 AM

Reviews: 3
Maybe I'm reading you wrong but what do you mean by "they have the low sunk neck and recessed trem"? I can pull notes up plenty far on rgs (prestige and stock 520 or 570) with the trem. And I dont feel THAT much of a difference in the neck joint on a jem to an rg. Rg's have an edge, which Steve still uses on a lot of his guitars and satch prefers to a lo pro. Personally, I do prefer a jem7vwh and dbk (though IMO I'd put hotter pups in a dbk, I dont feel distorted tones are full enough on the extremely light body) But for a good workhorse guitar that is easily convertible and customizable you cant go wrong with an rg...my point after all is that it's easier to slap some dimarzios in an rg than trying to convert a trem cavity from lo-trs II to edge or lo pro edge.
-I wouldn't buy a korean rg...only a japanese model.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:23 PM
YJM

I remember playing a 555 awhile back in Hongkong. IMHO, it'a quality axe overall. Definitely not as bad as what I've heard. Smooth neck. Not bad finish. Superb inlay (e.g. I was checking out a 7DBK at the same time and thought the plastic screw head inlay on that was clearly inferior). The tone is also unquestionable. Only drawback is the LoTrs trem which could be a major drawback if you wanted to do all the Vai/Satch tricks! Then again it still works way better a Strat trem, right?

-Bill

Tags
distorted tone , distorted tones , monkey grip , neck joint , pearl pickguard , playing guitar , pro edge , recessed trem , strat trem , trem studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode