New around here! Question about lefty JEM555... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

New around here! Question about lefty JEM555...

Hi!

I'm a new user, and have found this forum and the topics pretty interesting. My name's Ali (surprise surprise), I'm soon-to-turn 18 (yes, a young 'un I am), I was born in Saudi Arabia to Pakistani parents, and I live in California at the moment (bit of a 'swirl' myself...). Right now, I own a custom RG470L in a nice purple colour that sounds alright, but I'm on the lookout for a better axe. I was wondering... is the lefty JEM555 still sold? If so, WHERE? I've looked ALL over, and can't find it anywhere. I know they stopped making them, but I was thinking, there still might be some on the market. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Cheers!

Ali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Vendor

Stick around here too long and you'll really get swirled As far as I know 555's are still available in some markets, finding the L might be alot tougher, don't know if that's still in production, and then almost nobody ever carries them. Every now and then one will ebay and outside the ones with rediculous asking prices of $1200 I have seen a clean L sell for $700. Still high especially for a 555, but lefties always pay a premium. Few and far between. Welcome
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:18 AM

I'd rather have a RG550EXL, but since you're in the States, I think eBay is your best option for a cool lefty.

uuhh and forget the 555!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:31 AM

here we go again ....

nothing wrong with the 555 Ali, you go get one, i and lots of other people have them, and swear by them, sure i would like something "better" but we dont all

A. Live in America
B. think we are Elite-ist ..

happy hunting !!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 10:56 AM

You guys, come on now. 555's are great instruments (maybe not as great as the other JEMs, but he's a LEFTY)! It's not like he was saying: "Hey guys, I am going to go out and buy a squeir now!"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:09 AM

Re: New around here! Question about lefty JEM555...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Naqvi
I was born in Saudi Arabia to Pakistani parents, and I live in California at the moment (bit of a 'swirl' myself...).
That's awesome!

Welcome to the forum. I'd be checking out ebay but watch out. Some 555 sellers think they have something really special and try to charge silly money. You obviously know guitars though so I'll say no more on that one!
Another option would be to buy a higher end lefty RG, save up some more pennies while you enjoy it and then click on one of the banners at the top. Eddie Kolesar and Brian Calvert can turn an RG body into a Jem without too much of a problem and Jeremy (LGM) has done some awesome inlay work. There are several Jemsite regulars who can vouch for these guys and their work.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
...but lefties always pay a premium. Few and far between.
Ah, the main reason I started playing right handed instead of the 'natural for me' left handed.

btw, welcome Ali!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Wow, my first post, and there's controversy already! Just what I love about these boards.

I was just looking to "better" the axe I have right now, but I guess it's going to be harder than I thought. My current RG has EMG pups in it... and to be honest, I've never really had a chance to try out Dimarzio pups (if that's what the 555 does have, anyway). But yeah, I think it would equally cool to get some nifty inlay work done, have some Chris DeGarmo (Queensr˙che)'ish Iron Crosses on the body etc.

... once I get the money, of course!

Ali
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Vendor

If you're looking to better then the RG620L is a no brainer. I'm sure it's going to get a model # change for this year like everything else, and typically just order it from Japan for availability [unless by some miracle the US actually gets a good lefty for 03'] but it's the best Ibanez lefty currenty available new. Or, find yourself a used RG3120L [rare as hens teeth]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 PM

I hate to say this, but for lefties, Ibanez is just not the best option.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

caprile: true, but then again, where's the fun in playing a guitar that's really easy to find?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 AM

there not easy to get.
in the netherlands where i live , there are only 7 lefty jem555 around.
lucky me, heheh , i found one.
and let me tell yah guys, it playes like hell!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Naqvi
Hi!

I'm a new user, and have found this forum and the topics pretty interesting. My name's Ali (surprise surprise), I'm soon-to-turn 18 (yes, a young 'un I am), I was born in Saudi Arabia to ****stani parents, and I live in California at the moment (bit of a 'swirl' myself...). Right now, I own a custom RG470L in a nice purple colour that sounds alright, but I'm on the lookout for a better axe. I was wondering... is the lefty JEM555 still sold? If so, WHERE? I've looked ALL over, and can't find it anywhere. I know they stopped making them, but I was thinking, there still might be some on the market. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Cheers!

Ali
The Jem Jr. (555) is a nice guitar (have one myself) but the trem is not that great, you can easily swap it an original Floyd Rose and you have a very very good guitar.

Regards

André

Tags
brian calvert , dimarzio pups , floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode