Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New Black Pia

12K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  Takin' a Ride 
#1 ·
Just noticed that there is an all black option for the Pia on the official ibanez website.

Satriani has a sky blue JS too.

Not sure if I like the black Pia though.

#6 ·
I love the new colour scheme it might actually be my favourite ‘non-Limited edition’ finish on a Vai guitar so far, but still can’t reconcile myself to buy the ‘melted in the sun when Steve left it on the dashboard of his car’ version of the JEM that is the PIA.

#16 ·
I love the new colour scheme it might actually be my favourite 'non-Limited edition' finish on a Vai guitar so far, but still can't reconcile myself to buy the 'melted in the sun when Steve left it on the dashboard of his car' version of the JEM that is the PIA.
As an owner of a white PIA, I unfortunately can't unsee your comment about the melted in the sun, LOL. There is some truth to it there. As I might of said earlier, the white PIA looks like something Prince would have played. For the black, I'm Johnny Cash or Wayne Newton.

That said, I played mine for a couple hours last night, and it really is an outstanding player guitar. The alder body and thicker neck give it some heft over the normal basswood JEM's. The stainless steel frets are fantastic also.

#18 ·
I really really want to like it, I want it to grow on me..... but just absolutely hate the petals and the slightly melted look, and the pickup covers aren't helping. So no new MIJ Jem for 2021 then... thankfully the RG565 Genesis will go some way to satisfying my GAS for 2021.

Edit: Ha, must have been typing this just as Jono replied.

#22 ·
Just visited Ibanez.com. The black Pia looks pretty cool (IMO). So, is the White Pia gone for 2021? Although, I've gotta say that I'm not much of a fan of the Pia guitar. My preference is still the JEM. It's just a great design that has stood the test of time and could be considered a classic. But yeah, I like the black PIA the best and the white one second. Something about the PIA design just looks kinda...girly! Especially the Panther Pink one (can you say Barbie guitar)! Again IMHO.

#24 ·
An observation:

When a signature model guitar causes controversy, it tends to sell well.

Examples:
EBMM Majesty - John Petrucci's "other" signature model guitar created some controversy due to its aesthetics. Despite the slight resemblance to a shovel, Majesties seem to sell rather well. I think it has something to do with it being a great guitar that wins people over.

PRS Silver Sky - John Mayer's signature model. The controversy was created when people pointed out it resembled a Stratocaster and Paul Reed Smith pointed out it was nothing like a Stratocaster. They were sold out for the first year of production.

Ibanez PIA - I think the controversy with this guitar was in the presentation: the PIA completely usurped the JEM with no real explanation. People were caught off guard, something people usually don't appreciate. Never the less, guitar stores do not seem to have trouble selling them.

I am not saying controversy is a necessity to sell a signature guitar, but in some cases, if it gets people talking, controversy seems to help.

#25 ·
An observation:

When a signature model guitar causes controversy, it tends to sell well.

Examples:
EBMM Majesty - John Petrucci's "other" signature model guitar created some controversy due to its aesthetics. Despite the slight resemblance to a shovel, Majesties seem to sell rather well. I think it has something to do with it being a great guitar that wins people over.

PRS Silver Sky - John Mayer's signature model. The controversy was created when people pointed out it resembled a Stratocaster and Paul Reed Smith pointed out it was nothing like a Stratocaster. They were sold out for the first year of production.

Ibanez PIA - I think the controversy with this guitar was in the presentation: the PIA completely usurped the JEM with no real explanation. People were caught off guard, something people usually don't appreciate. Never the less, guitar stores do not seem to have trouble selling them.

I am not saying controversy is a necessity to sell a signature guitar, but in some cases, if it gets people talking, controversy seems to help.
What is the saying? "The only bad publicity is NO publicity"?

I think one thing all those guitars have in common is that they're all actually great, highly functional guitars from reputable builders. I think the thing for me is that for both the Majesty and the Pia, despite technically perhaps being better guitars than the "traditional" signature models they replaced. Neither "looks" as good. And for the most part humans are visual creatures,

The Pia for example has stainless steel frets and a more evolved cutaway on the rear of the lower horn designed to aid top fret access. Those arguably make it a "higher performance" guitar than the JEM. But the visual aspects such as the "petal grip" and rounded body contours make it look like a grilled cheese version of the JEM.

The Majesty has similar issues, greater fret access, fancy switching systems, and a spot in aisle 3 at the garden supplies store...

The Silver Sky is a, well, it's a Strat. With a PRS headstock. But John Mayer has bagged loads of hotties and if you buy this guitar, maybe you will too!

#37 ·
The pink, yellow and green model is limited to one year, as i heard. Same story as 1987 with the same colors, but more intensive. The DY and SK were produced 3-4 years but the LG was limited to one year and is therefore not often for sale. 777 LG 's were made. I dont't have a clue, how many PIA EnvyGreen were made, but i think it is a secure investment. Paid 3400 €.
Cheers !

#44 ·
Got my Green Envy some days ago. Finally today i had the time to do a setup and to play her. Believe me, this is such a great player. My primary idea was, to handle her as a collector item, because she is a piece of art. But now, after jamming with her, i think she will replace my 27 years old VWH, which was my main player for so much years. This guitar looks, sounds and feels so amazing. I'm happy (-:.

#45 ·
The rounded edges alone make it so much more ergonomic than the RG/JEM was, the neck is a bit more c shaped which is always a plus for me. And the grip, honestly, how many people actually carried the guitar around by the grip and let the headstock smack into anything in the way? You carry a guitar close to you, I always hang it holding it by the neck at the nut. You can hold it by the pedals if you're so inclined but the fact that they're relieved into the top is cool. Feminine, that's an argument for anybody that thinks a Shocking Pink guitar is in some way masculine. Although I have heard somebody say real men play pink guitars. Black flat, feminine? I don't see it.

Enjoy you EVG! Don't wait the 30 years for it to be worth 5 times more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.