New Floyd for older Jem 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

New Floyd for older Jem 555

Hi, I'm new here guys, hope you can help!

The Floyd Rose on my Jem 555 (I got it in about 1999/2000) is doing that thing where it moves loosely a tiny bit and it puts the guitar out of tune. I've heard from a couple of people that when it does this it's basically useless, so I need a new one.

Does anyone know which models of Floyds will fit my Jem 555 as I'm having it replaced and the guitar set up (It's been in a case pretty much since I got my Les Paul and I think I'll treat it to a Tremel-No as well).

Thanks for your help, guys,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: New Floyd for older Jem 555

If it was my decision, I'd go with an orginal Edge. Being it's a JEM, no routing is needed to fit it in. I'm not sure about the anchors, however.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Reviews: 4

Yeah. An original edge or a gotoh floyd.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
If it was my decision, I'd go with an orginal Edge. Being it's a JEM, no routing is needed to fit it in. I'm not sure about the anchors, however.
Unfortunately the 555 does require a LITTLE modification to the body to fit an Edge. The back corners of the "wings" on an Edge/Lo-Pro will hit the body of a standard 555 route (it's not the same route as higher end Jem's)

Mikey: Welcome to Jemsite!!

There are a few other things you need to look at before deciding to switch trems. Most importantly, is the movement you describe coming from the trem posts or (more likely) the post inserts moving in the wood of the body??

If the movement is from the anchors moving in the body you need to fix that BEFORE doing anything else. If the anchors are rock solid then your good to go.

Also, if you plan to use a tremel-no there's no point in spending more money on a new trem. The tremel-no evens the playing field in that there's no advantage to having a higher end trem than the Lo-TRSII you already have.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Unfortunately the 555 does require a LITTLE modification to the body to fit an Edge. The back corners of the "wings" on an Edge/Lo-Pro will hit the body of a standard 555 route (it's not the same route as higher end Jem's)

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought that since it was still routed with the lion's claw, the Edge would fit. That's a shame.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that. I thought that since it was still routed with the lion's claw, the Edge would fit. That's a shame.
Your pretty close to right....... the route is VERY close to working, and it requires very little work to fit correctly. Unfortunately, even the small amount of work takes paint off which has to be fixed when your finished. It works best with black guitars.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Your pretty close to right....... the route is VERY close to working, and it requires very little work to fit correctly. Unfortunately, even the small amount of work takes paint off which has to be fixed when your finished. It works best with black guitars.

After your post, I looked at this picture....

...and it's pretty obvious what you're talking about. Aside from the lion's claw, it was routed specifically for the Lo-TRS II.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, well I'll probably try and find another LO-TRSII to replace it with then, although I'm not a big fan of how the bar was tightened with that pot around it.

Anything else you think will fit it without having to re-route anything?

RGTFanatic, I'm not sure what's causing the slight movement, but I've heard that the problem I'm describing is un-fixable basically. Whether or not this is correct, I'd rather just start fresh with a new trem anyway!

Thanks, everyone for your replies, keep 'em coming if you can!

Mike
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Hey Mike......the problem is that a new trem (regardless of type) may not solve your problem, especially if the problem is the anchors moving in the wood. This problem is definitely fixable though, as are any other problems you may have with the guitar. IIRC the edge pro is a direct drop-in.

You MUST be sure that the posts and anchors are solidly mounted before throwing money at another trem. Removing the existing trem is easy and will tell you EXACTLY where the problem is.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 02:50 PM

It is a Lo-TRS II, so chances are the trouble is the knife edges. You still want to check the anchors like RGT suggested. If the Edge Pro is a direct drop in, go with that.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Hey Mike......the problem is that a new trem (regardless of type) may not solve your problem, especially if the problem is the anchors moving in the wood. This problem is definitely fixable though, as are any other problems you may have with the guitar. IIRC the edge pro is a direct drop-in.

You MUST be sure that the posts and anchors are solidly mounted before throwing money at another trem. Removing the existing trem is easy and will tell you EXACTLY where the problem is.
ditto. i fixed my 520qs with fair ease when i had this problem. i had to glue and dowel mine, but i could have just used some epoxy/superglue.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Reviews: 3

The anchors on the lo-trs are smaller than the anchors needed for an edge/lo-pro/edge-pro/gotoh floyd. You need to re-drill the hole to get more radius and depth for the new ones. So if the problem is the anchor, if you change the trem, you're fixing the problem and upgrading the axe. Gotoh floyd rose are direct fit in the cavity without mods on the routing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Get a Gotoh tremolo. Brass blocks can improve your tone more than you can imagine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
It is a Lo-TRS II, so chances are the trouble is the knife edges. You still want to check the anchors like RGT suggested. If the Edge Pro is a direct drop in, go with that.

edge pros have a VERY different routing then the edge/lo pro's. Lo TRS's almost have the same as edges.

Tags
555 , floyd , jem , jem 555 , rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode