New Guitar and advice - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
G4Z

New Guitar and advice

I've finnaly bought myself a 7 string, its a 98 UV777BK and i'll be picking it on sunday. The Bridge Pickup has been changed for a Evo 7 are these better than a Blaze has anyone got one on their UV. Another thing i wanted to ask is that when i get it i'm gonna put fresh strings on it, and at the same time i was thinking of putting some dunlop lemon oil on the fingerboard,as it looks quite pale and dry will this be ok? the reason i ask is that i have never had a guitar with fancy inlays on the neck and i dont want to risk doing any damage.
I'll post some pics sunday or monday night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Re: New Guitar and advice

well,i dont have a UV, but my RG7620 came with Blaze. i swapped em out for the Evo7s and never looked back. they sound way better. much more balanced tone and the low end isn't nearly as muddy as the Blaze. i dont know why lemon oil would hurt the inlays, but wait for someone else to chime in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM

Lemon oil will dry the wood out even more. You should use bore oil on the fretboard.

As for the pickup, i'd go with the blaze. But you should just try the EVO for a while and decide whether it's what YOU like or not.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
G4Z

Thanks Guys i'll keep my eye's peeled for the bore oil, is there any other name it comes by?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Fret Doctor - the same as bore doctor but in larger size bottles
http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

In regards to pickups, I prefer the D-Activator 7s over the Blaze Neck and Bridge. They tightened the low-end and are well-balanced.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 AM

Reviews: 34

evos will sound great through a valve amp, they are quite dark in characteristics and you need to play cleanly to get the best.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

ive used lemon oil for 20 years and its never done my guitars any harm.talking about rosewood here (with vines). cant comment on maple,as ive never had a maple neck guitar long enough to find out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM

lemon oil on maple cause the fretboard to oxidate earlyer, because it can corrode the clearcoat on it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleTheNervo View Post
lemon oil on maple cause the fretboard to oxidate earlyer, because it can corrode the clearcoat on it
this lad should know hes got one of the nicest cleanest 777dy's ive seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode