New Guitar on the Horizon... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

New Guitar on the Horizon...

I just ordered a JS2410 from Rich at IbanezRules. Joining a large JS family. I think this is my sixth guitar through Rich, I'm not sure.

The family as it stands now: JS1BK, JS1(Chromed), JS6, JS10th, JS10th, JS90th, JS2000, JS1200, JS2PRM, JS1600 (Chromed)

Can't wait for the new guy to join the gang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Re: New Guitar on the Horizon...

If I remember correctly I got my 1200, 2000, a 10th, EP7 and I bought a JS6 from Rich, but not the one I currently own. Plus the 2410 makes six IbanezRules guitars. Also sold some guitars to or through him. Can't say enough good things about Rich and IbanezRules. If you need a guitar, that's the first place you should go.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Wow, Joe himself should give you a call. That's a Satch stash. Before this site, all I have ever heard of were the JS100 and JS1000. My drummer had a nice JS100 he boosted up with two EMG 81s. I thought it rather sounded pretty good with the stock pickups but also good with EMGs. It stayed in tune really well despite all the complaints people have about the Edge III.

That thing with a Marshall 8x12 was heavy to say the least.

When your baby arrives, give us a family picture. I have never seen so many JS guitars in one frame outside of Rich.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

I started with a JS100 but it had the LO-TRS trem, that's how long ago it was. It didn't stay in tune well and the pickups sucked. I have the guitars in more than one location so I can't take a mega picture of everything. But I could probably get some nice subgroup shots. I don't remember how to post pictures but I think once I get it I'll just link to my website where there's pictures of my entire collection, JSs and beyond.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
I started with a JS100 but it had the LO-TRS trem, that's how long ago it was. It didn't stay in tune well and the pickups sucked. I have the guitars in more than one location so I can't take a mega picture of everything. But I could probably get some nice subgroup shots. I don't remember how to post pictures but I think once I get it I'll just link to my website where there's pictures of my entire collection, JSs and beyond.
I know people say the Edge III doesn't stay in tune as well as Edge, and that's a given and I trust all that many have said here so I avoid Edge III even though I thought of JS100 a few years ago based on good experiences with drummer's JS100 and a few nice ones I saw used in stores.

What is the LO-TRS like compared to Edge?

What's it like compared to Edge III?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

The Low TRS did not stay in tune, if you pulled up on it everything would click out of tune and then if you depressed the bar again it would be mostly in tune, so it was somewhat effective for dives totally useless for pull ups. The Edge Tremolo is phenomenal. I personally prefer the Edge Pro with the locking stud mod although I am not in the majority. But really, I can take either the edge pro or the edge, I like both. I can't say compared to Edge III because I have never owned one, but I don't really do korean JSs, or now they have indonesian ones. I know exactly what I'm getting with a japanese JS and I don't want to stray from that.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The Low TRS did not stay in tune, if you pulled up on it everything would click out of tune and then if you depressed the bar again it would be mostly in tune, so it was somewhat effective for dives totally useless for pull ups. The Edge Tremolo is phenomenal. I personally prefer the Edge Pro with the locking stud mod although I am not in the majority. But really, I can take either the edge pro or the edge, I like both. I can't say compared to Edge III because I have never owned one, but I don't really do korean JSs, or now they have indonesian ones. I know exactly what I'm getting with a japanese JS and I don't want to stray from that.
I am not too picky on gear and attempt to make up for anything onstage or studio or practice with fingers and ears. However, if there's something like a trem that goes out of tune and it's obviously mechanical and can't easily be fixed, then I ditch that unless it's my beloved Bigsby which gives a whole new definition to out of tune. While I can tell when a trem is going out of tune, any locking one, even if bad, is still better than dealing with Bigsby, a 1940s design well before dive bombing and raucous rock and roll music.

I have a Chinese made Ibanez Artcore and it's pretty good but not the same as a MIJ AS200. The Korean ones from a few years back are better but really only slightly so. The MIJ Ibanezes are the best factory built in the world today and probably ever. If money were no object I would get my favorite luthier to custom build me guitars if I wanted something better than an Ibanez off the shelf but that's not in my wallet. If I go with an Ibanez with trem, I will shoot for Edge I as that seems to be the standard of not only a great trem, but one even better than Original Floyd Rose but it better be being more expensive than it.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 06-09-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

My JS guitars stay in tune, practically forever. I can leave a guitar alone for months and as long as there isn't some major weather change, they will be 98% in tune when I pick them up. And once you fine tune it in tune, you can play on it for hours and it will be in tune. Basically, you can use the Korean and Chinese guitars until you go Japanese. Once you go Japanese you will not look at the lesser guitars the same way ever again. For me it was like that at least. That being said I still like my Korean AS80, but I can't bend strings on it like on the locking trem guitars and not expect it to go out of tune. You have to learn to adapt to a guitar that can't handle that kind of tuning stability.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 AM

Funny, my JS1200 (Edge Pro) stays in tune forever, yet my JS6 goes out of tune during each playing session and it's a fixed tail. I removed the tree, that seems to have helped as it appeared the strings were getting caught under it during bends and wouldn't return, even with the addition of locking tuners and some graphite on it and the nut. Love my JS1200, like my JS6. -cp
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
My JS guitars stay in tune, practically forever. I can leave a guitar alone for months and as long as there isn't some major weather change, they will be 98% in tune when I pick them up. And once you fine tune it in tune, you can play on it for hours and it will be in tune. Basically, you can use the Korean and Chinese guitars until you go Japanese. Once you go Japanese you will not look at the lesser guitars the same way ever again. For me it was like that at least. That being said I still like my Korean AS80, but I can't bend strings on it like on the locking trem guitars and not expect it to go out of tune. You have to learn to adapt to a guitar that can't handle that kind of tuning stability.
The fixed bridge of course is more stable the old school Fender trem, Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem, and Bigsby trem. The only place a fixed bridge loses tuning easily is from friction from nut, saddle, and string wrapping around tuning peg. A locking tuners and frictionless saddles and nuts help a lot but it' still not perfect. Friction and string binding are greatly reduced but not eliminated.

But a double locking tuner takes out the weak spots of nut friction, saddle friction, and issues with wrapping around tuning pegs. There's nothing better for tuning stability than a double locking trem. And if you don't use it much or at all, then the only thing detuning the guitar is basic playing and the weather/humidity. We can't expect to be perfect like a synth in tuning but your Ibanezes with original Edge is the closest thing to perfection that is out there. Now if the neck and body of the JS were carbon graphite, like an expensive British made Bond guitar or Rainsong, then your tuning would not be as easily affected by weather.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

http://marvelousorchards.com/secret-guitar-mania/

That picture is of the actual guitar I'm getting. I snagged the NAMM show model. Hope the link works, I can't remember how to post anything on this site.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Got my JS2410 from Rich. The setup was of course excellent. I don't like the new Ultralight Trem Arm. I tried using it but went back to the normal bar. Good thing they included both. I had it set up a half step down with tens on it. This is new for me with a double locking JS. I'll see if I like having a goto E flat guitar or if it just means I use it less. The orange looks much better in person than it does in pictures. It is however still a very loud color.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Vendor

Awww, come on, tell 'em what the wife said

Good thing is you can sell the bar for a very tall stack of pennies!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

My wife said about the color of the guitar that: If I went hunting with it at least I wouldn't get shot by accident.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Got my JS2410 from Rich. The setup was of course excellent. I don't like the new Ultralight Trem Arm. I tried using it but went back to the normal bar. Good thing they included both. I had it set up a half step down with tens on it. This is new for me with a double locking JS. I'll see if I like having a goto E flat guitar or if it just means I use it less. The orange looks much better in person than it does in pictures. It is however still a very loud color.
Isn't that how Joe runs nowadays? Down half a step with the thicker strings?

Tags
2410 , jss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode