New Guitar(s) Day For Me - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

New Guitar(s) Day For Me

So, I had promised myself no more guitars this year. I had purchased several out of need for recording but not really spent a fortune. Not that I'm into spending very much on guitars anyway. Oh but then came along a 7DBK. I played it a couple of weeks ago and tried to convince myself that I didn't want it. Tried for two weeks but just couldn't get it out of my head!

So, after a chat with the Mrs.,(who happens to be the greatest wife EVER!) it was decided that this would be added to the arsenal. Went up to GC tonight and haggled a bit. In the end, I got the 7DBK and an Ibanez nylon string as well,(one that I had played the same day I first played the Jem and really liked). I'm not into saying how much I spend on things but I will say that, to balance out the price of the Jem, I got the nylon string for free. I hate walking away without getting some kind of deal.

Enough yapping, here's a pic of me in meditative state of total guitar balance:

Very "yin/yang", don't you think?

Being that I'm new here and haven't posted a big pic of the entire arsenal, I guess this is a good time to do so:

Sorry that it's a bit cut off on the edges. Not enough room to get everything in the shot. Here's the run-down:
Top Row:
'89 RG550 (modified with Fred, Cruiser, and Air Norton, still a work in progress)
'04 JS100 (with D Activators)
'99 7DBK
'04 7VWH
'99 RG7620-VK

Bottom Row:
'03 Peavey Grind 4
'94 Pedulla PentaBuzz
'01 Fernandes Revolver Pro
'06 Fender Highway One Strat (with JB Jr. in the bridge)
'04 Gibson Les Paul Special
'07 Ibanez AEG1 (the nylon string I mentioned earlier)
'06 Takamine EG523 12-string
'94 Takamine Ltd.

And now I have very little room to move in my studio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 AM

Re: New Guitar(s) Day For Me

Haha, the first photo is great, very spiritual,
Nice guitars man, have fun
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 AM

Very nice! Congratulations!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM

Reviews: 1

Hey man, nice collection. You definitely belong to this forum now.
-jemaholic
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 AM

Welcome aboard! very nice collection!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 AM

Zen! Very nice man!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Nice arsenal. Congrats on the addition. I had a DBK as my first Jem and miss it from time to time.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey back to everyone! Thanks for the "welcome aboard" messages. Glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I had a DBK as my first Jem and miss it from time to time.
I can see where you would. It's the neck on the thing that really makes it feel so unique. That's what got me, anyway. It's like a dream neck for me, the kind of thing I had always wanted. The Breeds are like an extra bonus on top of that.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 1

congrats man... i'd better talk to my Mrs. too... ha... i bet she is also a nice one!!! hahaha... but for real... nice collection man!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Nice geetars
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM

Awesome!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 PM

Congrats! Review the nylon-string, too. (Please.)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Congrats!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Congrats! Review the nylon-string, too. (Please.)
Well, I'll do my best:

It's a lower end Classical guitar, really. An Ibanez AEG10NETNG. Mahogony back, sides, and neck. Spruce top, rosewood bridge and fretboard. The neck itself is a bit thinner and not as wide as most nylons - which is one of the things I liked about it. The intonation is, well, it's what you could expect from a guitar in the $250 to $300 price range. That's really the only drawback to it but it's mainly on the very high register. It's Chinese manufactured, so what else would you expect? LOL This instrument is more for the student level and definitely not intended for Carnegie Hall.

However, let me get to the really good point of this guitar: the electronics. It has a Fishman pickup and an Ibanez preamp system. The preamp has a parametric sweep as well as controls for volume, bass, treble, and mids. There is also a phase button,(nice to have for the acoustics of different venues and recordings) and a built-in tuner. The preamp runs on two AA batteries and the battery compartment is a pain to get at because it pulls out completely. Minor gripe there, really. One nice feature about it is that the tuner works without the guitar having to be plugged in. Being that you have to tune nylon strings every time you pick one up, that's nice. Yet another plus is that it has both standard quarter inch output and balanced XLR. This guitar should record very, very well.

Having played it through a couple of acoustic amps, I can say that the sound through the preamp is excellent. It carries the note as well as just enough finger noise to give the sound a very warm, human feel. It's not as sensitive as many higher end electronics on better guitars but I consider that a plus for me. As I'm not going to be using it for recitals or anything of the like, it's more than enough for what I need. The neck is comfortable and the action is perfectly fine.

If you're wanting to add a nylon string sound to your recordings, this would be a good jumping off point. If you're like me and you don't have very much need for this kind of sound, but still want the option when needed, it's a good and economical choice. If you're planning to major in Classical guitar in music school, you'll probably want something a bit better. To end this I will add that this guitar will probably become a nice songwriting guitar to use around the house and get basic ideas on. Small, lightweight, quiet, and easy to play around on.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Nice scores and nice collection too!

Tags
acoustic amp , air norton , gibson les paul , guitar mag , les paul , nylon strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode