new guy, neeed some advice - jemvwh - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

new guy, neeed some advice - jemvwh

hey guys! im new to this place, loooks pretty cool!
i am interesting in getting a ibanez jem, just not sure yet.
i got an ibanez 7 string right now, a 7621, and im lookin for a six string with a low pro edge system trem. *do you think the jemvwh would be a great choice? *why would you choose this model? i play a lot of metal/rock/blues, and vai stuff. * this might not sound like a comparison, but just clear this up for me, how does the sound differ from a jem and a les paul? *i havent had much time on either at all. *never played a white jem yet, i hope too though tomorrow., but since you guys are real familiar with it, can u help me out? thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:40 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
new guy, neeed some advice

Hello and welcome. Try the VWH first hand before buying anything. It is quite a bit different from a LesPaul. From wood selection (Pauls are Mahogany w/ Maple tops) to the pickups (VWHs are much hotter), to the wiring, to the bolt on neck of the JEM, etc. Different feel also.

The VWH is pretty versatile, especially with a coil tap and possibly a pickup swap. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

its hard to find guitars around here there is only one major dealer and they dont have anything cool half the time except for a lot of jacksons or gibson historic guitars. * whats your thought of the vwh jem? *i like hot pickups, good chunky type music, but also love solo's.
i'd really like to have a locking trem thats why i say i dont think i want a gibson the more i think about it.
i got a few prs guitars, but they just arent me . * by the way , if you got icq, please add me! *:beammeup:

(Edited by vai311 at 12:59 pm on May 9, 2001)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:48 AM
MD

If you are into Vai type of music, there is no better guitar than 7VWH. Comparing to gibson - it's so different that I will not even try to list differences. Overall it's great guitar - very nice sound, lot's of tones, it's very light, neck is super fast, ebony fretboard is great and comfortable and it looks gorgeous. Lo-pro edge tremolo system is absolutely the best, I'll never use any other system, even original floyd is imho worse. What else to say - it's a top of the line JEM and you just can't go wrong with it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:41 AM

I've got a BFP, which I've grown very accustomed to. *i played a VWH recently and founf the neck to be a bit thicker. *For me personally, i like the BFP neck better, but if you're into les pauls, you might prefer the thicker neck.

Your back will definitely not hurt as much after playing the vwh

The vwh is a much more versatile guitar, although few will argue that the LP is 'the ultimate' rock rhythm guitar.

My issues with the vwh are the guadiness factor (i don't like white guitars in general and the gold with the white sends it over the edge for me) and the middle pickup, which doesn't match the evos very well. *The clean sounds on the stock jems aren't very good.

The woods on the vwh are better than any of the other JEMs, for sure.

Definitely play one before buying it...and if you can find any, play a few other JEMs to compare and contrast. *They're not all the same.

~Kenny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:03 PM

Listen to Steve Vai then listen to Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin).

There's you comparison between a Les Paul and a Jem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Quote: from kirk on 1:03 pm on May 9, 2001
Listen to Steve Vai then listen to Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin).

There's you comparison between a Les Paul and a Jem.
Good one. You can hear a Tele in there quite a bit too on the first two Led Zep albums

Tags
bfp neck , coil tap , ebony fretboard , edge trem , edge tremolo system , ibanez jem , jimmy page , les paul , les pauls , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , prs guitar , prs guitars , steve vai , tremolo system , vwh jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode