New JEM 7 VWH gets HELL out of tune!!!! Im disappointed... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy New JEM 7 VWH gets HELL out of tune!!!! Im disappointed...

Hi!

Yesterday I bought a JEM 7 VWH VERY new, I opened the closed box myself! It has the 3 piece maple neck with walnut stripes, so it seems to be the 2005 model! The Locknut is screwed from the back. It plays very nice, but what happened is a real tragidy!

First Id like to say that Im familiar with floating trems, all my Floyds work fine, so I know how to deal with them! Please dont think I forgot stretching the strings or locking down the pressure pad or something!

I realized, that when I use the Edge pro, the guitar gets really very much out of tune! So I cnecked the neck joint screws, the neck screw and the locknut screws on the back of the neck. The locknut screws were VERY loose and tightening them helped the whole thing a little bit! But by far not enough! When pulling the trem up it goes one half halfstep out of tune, when pushing the bar down its 1/4 halfstep (everything from the "neutral" zone). And that sounds really terrible, in fact I cant use that guitar!

Im now about to return it and forgetting the whole JEM thing, its really sad because it was the best guitar Ive ever played...but what hould I do with a guitar that cant stay in tune?

I also dont really know how to set the trem right (but Im DEFINATELY sure this is NOT the reason for all this!!!), because the edge is a little bit diffrent to the floyd! Ive now set it, that these black stripes on the side are even with the body (just how described)! But when I look at some pictures of Edge Pros (for example on Ibanez rules) I see that the trem is way more "inclined", mine is almost even to the body. In fact to get this black stripe even to the body I would have to make the trem even to the body, but that seems to be wrong?!

So can anyone help me with this problem and tell me how to set up the trem? Maybe its worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:06 PM

Re: New JEM 7 VWH gets HELL out of tune!!!! Im disappointed...

Dude, Firstly welcome to the site, secondly http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm courtesy of Rich at Ibanezrules

Rob
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:07 PM

Listen I wouldnt return it just yet....If I had to guess what the problem is without seeing the guitar ..Id look into the following

1. this may seem obvious but make sure kinfe edges of trem are properly seated in groove of studs.

2. You may need the locking stud mod / kinfe edges filed...check out richs Ibanez rules site for parts and details on how to fix your problems.(I would only attempt this is you are an avid Do IT Yourself type.)

3. Cant stress how important fully strectching new strings can be.....it really must be done properly otherwise tuning will be a nightmare.

Dont forget EVERY new guitar needs a thorough set up...dont ever expect any company to ship a new guitar set up to your specs. (unless you purchase from Rich of course) Im sure Vai or any other pro doesnt even look at a new guitar until his tech gives it the one over .

Once you get these trem problems sorted...Im sure you will love new axe...good luck
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Ooops, Edge Pro's etc, should be parrallel to the body, Lo-Pros and Edges are at an angle

Rob
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoden
Listen I wouldnt return it just yet....If I had to guess what the problem is without seeing the guitar ..Id look into the following

1. this may seem obvious but make sure kinfe edges of trem are properly seated in groove of studs.

2. You may need the locking stud mod / kinfe edges filed...check out richs Ibanez rules site for parts and details on how to fix your problems.(I would only attempt this is you are an avid Do IT Yourself type.)

3. Cant stress how important fully strectching new strings can be.....it really must be done properly otherwise tuning will be a nightmare.

Dont forget EVERY new guitar needs a thorough set up...dont ever expect any company to ship a new guitar set up to your specs. (unless you purchase from Rich of course) Im sure Vai or any other pro doesnt even look at a new guitar until his tech gives it the one over .

Once you get these trem problems sorted...Im sure you will love new axe...good luck

Man, I really LOVE this axe, but what should I do? And keeping it is too risky! I mean...what if its not the problems I have? What if nothing helps? Then I have thrown 2240 Euro (which is about $1700) out of my window!

And having no sharp knife edges at a NEW guitar??? I just repeat, this guitar is BRAND NEW!!!

Well, this locking stud mod seems to be a thing to try, but if I will go so Ill loose the 2 weeks giveback warranty, because it will take longer than 2 weeks to get this mod! And if it doesnt help then???

And this trem must really be even to the guitar??? I didnt know that...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:56 PM

Return it, get a new one, see what happens, and if necessary, return it again and get your money back.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Return to the store with it, if you are young, take a parent or someone older, tell them you want the guitar set up (for free) so that it stays in tune or you want your money back.

It's that simple. If they won't set it up, go somewhere else with your money.

Copy this list here:

Set Edge Pro even with body

Check and set neck relief

Set up for low action without fret buss anywhere

then you take it to an amp at their store and test the trem to be sure it plays well and stays in tune
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
And this trem must really be even to the guitar??? I didnt know that...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I set the trem now and it got a little better again!

If I do a Dive it stays in Tune, very good (well, I thought it would be normal )! But when I raise it goes out of tune again, but not that much as it was before! Only 1/4 halfstep, maybe a little more! When I dive then again, it goes back to normal tune !

Man, what a mixup!

So working on the guitar helped me a little bit fixing the problem, maybe I can fix it all to keep the guitar (what I wish very very much!!!)...but how???
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:44 PM

Do as already suggested, take it back to the shop (did you buy it from a shop) and ask them to do a free set-up.

If it still hasn't improved, then your best bet is to either look into the locking stud mod which Rich at Ibanezrules.com will do, or take advantage of the 2 week send back thing you have and request another guitar.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:57 PM

Surely the studs (even though they're not the locking type) shouldn't be a problem on a brand-new guitar?

I definitely think the advice that everyone has suggested has to be the way to go with the guitar. If the place you got it from can't set it up to a satisfactory level then get your money back! There has to be another store somewhere near you that can sell you another VWH.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM

hmmm nobody has suggested him the chapstick fix? try putting some chapstick at the knife edges.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
Surely the studs (even though they're not the locking type) shouldn't be a problem on a brand-new guitar?

I definitely think the advice that everyone has suggested has to be the way to go with the guitar. If the place you got it from can't set it up to a satisfactory level then get your money back! There has to be another store somewhere near you that can sell you another VWH.

YES THEY CAN ! It has nothing to do with the guitar being new or 100years old. The non-locking studs will move back an forth when you use the bar period. Some are worse than others . My 2003 VWH was new when I got it and had this problem. My 2003 UV777BK was new when I got it and it had the same problem too, just not as bad. Just ask Rich about these non-locking studs.

Last edited by GTR-MAN; 03-14-2005 at 08:55 AM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

well, I gave it to the shop, they send it back to Ibanez here, they look whats going on!

I now think its fat knife edges, would do it myself, but warrantty.....!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:21 PM

I guess since you already returned the guitar, maybe you don't remember...but would ALL the strings go out of tune or just certain ones? and when you pulled up, would they go sharp or flat? or would some go flat while others would go sharp?

-Jeff.

Tags
edge pros , floating trems , les paul , locking nut , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple neck , neck joint , neck relief

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode