New JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy New JEM

Hello All -

My new JEM arrived today. Question: There is string buzz big time on the E, A, & D stings. Is it normal to get a $2200 guitar that needs a trip to the shop for a set up . . . right from the box? I know about Rich . . . great idea . . . but this JEM was a surprise gift from the wife and she didn't know about Rich.

I feel like sending it back and trying again.

Any help is appreciated

If this problem is because of shipping or cold weather conditions . . . How long should I wait, to allow things to "settle" before I have the guitar set up? 7 days, 2 weeks . . . ? I'm CA. Thanks

JB

Last edited by Jemologist; 01-31-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:20 PM

Re: New JEM

Well I haven't got a JEM...never held one in person. But I've heard of a few people who haven't had their JEM set up perfect straight out of the box.

I would say don't worry about it, and get it set up by a local tech...

Then again, what do I know hehe

-Sean
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Guitars don't come setup to perfection right out of the box unless you pay extra for it. Set it up yourself, or get a tech to do it. Don't ditch a guitar over a simple setup job
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM

It's just string buzz, easily fixed and nothing to stress about. It's almost to be expected if the guitar has travelled a long distance to get to you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm sure Rich can tell you nightmares of how crappy they come setup from the factory. Don't forget shipping is never friendly on guitars either.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 21

Wow! That's a great wife you got there!

What everyone else said. Get a tech to set it up and you'll be good to go. Every guitar I've ever gotten from Ibanez arrived a little too loose or too tight on the trem springs. A minor tweak...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Vendor

If it was setup before it shipped [which it wasn't] most likely it will still need adjusting when it acclimates, cold creates backbowed necks and is probably at least some of your problem. On the other hand if you could get the much improved and enhanced version for the same money, that can't be a bad idea either
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: New JEM

Thanks everybody . . . nice family here !!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM

Follow Rich's tech section - it will make you a better and more rounded person
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM

Factory setup = no setup at all.

The jig that sets the intonation is usually pretty off, the truss rod almost always needs adjustment out of the box, the nut is usually shimmed too high, and occasionally the neck angle is off.

On the upside, these are all things you can do yourself. See the setup section.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffergm View Post
Factory setup = no setup at all.

The jig that sets the intonation is usually pretty off, the truss rod almost always needs adjustment out of the box, the nut is usually shimmed too high, and occasionally the neck angle is off.

On the upside, these are all things you can do yourself. See the setup section.
How true on all points! Ibanez guitars are almost always horribly set up when they first appear at your/the shops door - I picked up an S series at our local music store a few months ago, and I kid you not, the action was set at about 5mm at the 12th fret - basically unplayable - how is the average shop supposed to sell an instrument like that?

In your case, by the sound of things all you need is to loosen the truss rod - HOWEVER, regardless of what anyone else says, if you are not familiar with adjusting a locking trem axe, I cannot recommend highly enough that you get a good guitar tech to set the instrument up exactly as you want it - if you start tweaking yourself without a fairly good idea of what you are trying to achieve, you stand a pretty good chance of just exacerbating the problem you have!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:01 PM

Reviews: 21

IMO the trus rod is the last thing you adjust. I'd start with the trem and work by process of elimination. Then again, if you live in a warm humid climate (like me) and ship from, say, Musicians friend in KC, you will have some adjustment like Rich said.
Based on all the people I see put off by trem issues, I'd highly recommend using the services of someone like Rich or get a good tech to look at your guitar.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Maybe you can send it to rich. He's the professional.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM

My Jem came set up perfectly.And I always get it checked every year.

Tags
guitar tech , ibanez guitars , local music store , music store , neck angle , trem springs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode