New Jem 77FP Owner with questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Smile New Jem 77FP Owner with questions

I just picked up a 77FP from a guy who has owned it for most of its life. It is all original other than the pickups which were switched out it appears for some Duncans. Currently in the process of putting a Dimbucker in the Bridge, a Scorcher in the mid and a 59 in the neck. My biggest question revolves around the collectiablity of the model. It is an 88 model per the Serial number. Will putting Duncans hurt the resale of this guitar? If so what is the resale of said guitar in original condition. There is some mystery around this guitar as the case states it was one of Vai's as it etched in the case with his name, and some numbers (not the model or SN)but that is impossible to decipher. Just trying to learn a little more about this model as this is my first Ibanez. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 AM

Re: New Jem 77FP Owner with questions

Changing the pickups hurts the resale value and more because there pink its noticeable. If you still have the original pickups and the new ones are installed properly with nice wiring you wont lose to much, the most important thing is the condition of the neck and body. It being an original 88 FP I don't think you should of touched it at all. If mint condition I think its about $1300 to $1500 Im not 100%.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Banned

yeah when people buy jem's they like to see everthing origanal.but if you still have origanal pups then that gives the buyer the opion to switch back the origanal pups,so not really that much of a big deal.providing the guitar is in good condition ie no dings the neck is ok,you should still fetch the same as any other 77fp,providing you still have thoughs origanal pups.not sure about u.s.a prices but here in the uk a good condition 77fp can lift £1200.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM

pictures!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 18

If this guitar is allegedly one of Steve's guitars, I'd definitely like to see pictures of it. If you're not planning on reselling the guitar, then I really wouldn't care about the resale value of it. Although dimebuckers aren't really stock equipment found on a jem, they might provide a better sound to your ears, as opposed to the stock pickups.

Jimmy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately when I got it the pickups were already replaced. I just took it apart and found it has a Fred in the Bridge, a Tone Zone in the neck and unknown single coil in the middle. It is completely disconnected. Do you know anywhere I could get a set of the original pickups (other than **** where there doesn't appear to be any)? I want to have them just in case. I am in the process of leaving the tone zone in the neck (sounds good), replacing the single coil and placing the Dimebucker in the bridge as it will sound great. Issue I am having is the single coil in there is a 2 wire and the new ones are all 4 wire. Pics included. Seems to be nice playing guitar. Got it for a steal (about $500 in trade). Body is in good shape as is the neck, just minor scratches from being 20 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan 09 016.jpg (48.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Jan 09 014.jpg (74.1 KB, 33 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

The idea of it being Vai's was one I got from the store here in Austin that specializes in Vintage instruments. It was due to there was etching on the case that stated "Mr. VAIs 77FP #5". Again could be just be a coincidence. I am a person who enjoys collectible guitars as I have many Gibsons, Fenders, BC Rich etc. This is my first Ibanez so I am new to them. I would like to get it to a collectible shape, just for my own benefit as I have really little intention of selling this as it is one of the sweetest playing necks I have found.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

its a shame theres no way of finding out weather steve did own this 77fp,or maybe there is ??? im not sure.but i was reading a article somewhere and they say steve still likes to use a 77fp at home.i know it was his main 6 string during the skyscraper tour.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Drop Mickey at the vai.com site a pm, he'd know if it was ever owned by Steve or not. Anyhow, 500 USD is a steal for the guitar. Congrats and have fun with her !
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM

Wow. $500 is a good deal, in my opinion. Even with the changed pickups. Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode