New JEM 7BSB first test drive + pics - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

New JEM 7BSB first test drive. PICS ARE HERE!!

OK!!
So I went home to try my new BSB I recieved this morning...
I was so disappointed, this guitar really suks!!

I'M KIDDING!!

First, unplugged this guitar is really loud! great sounding... The neck is very comfortable, especially given the unfinished back...

I'll have to set it up to my taste: first i'll put 9-46, instead of the 9-42 in it, and increase a bit the action, as I'm not a fan of super low action...
I'm also going to lower a bit the 2 EVOs as they are so powerful. With full gain disto you can hear the magnetic pull when you're up past the 12 frets or so...

But it really sounds cool! great sustain, really powerful, tight bass are definitively there as well as screaming highs!!!
As I was expecting the middle pickup is kind of useless on its own, but great in the 2 and 4 positions... (fur great middle pickup sound alone I prefet the Blue Velvet).

I'll post pics this week end... I bet it will sound great with my H&K Trilogy...

Last edited by casper777; 07-28-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Re: New JEM 7BSB first test drive + pics

Congrats ! Is this your 1st Jem ? What do you mean you can hear the magnetic pull when your past the 12 frets or so ? ( I don't know what you mean)

I agree, the middle pup is pretty much useless for me as well. I also agree and prefer the Blue velvet, it's the only single coil I've ever liked so far.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Yep I usually don't like single coils, but the Blue Velvet is just GREAT!..

By magnetic pull, I mean that in upper frets, you can hear the note vibrate in a strange way... I don't know how to explain... It's typical of when string are too close to powerful humbuckers...
In addition the pickups magnets had also been raised.. I'll put them down also...

It's my 3rd Jem actually... I still own a 90 HAM and I sold a JEMDBK several years ago as I hate Breed pickups. I know a lot of people like them I was not happy with it unfortunately.. the DBK neck was also too thin (a super wizard neck, not a JEM one...)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Here are the pictures!!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

The 7th one in the Ibanez family

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 PM

Very nice, glad you took the plunge and got one. I must say it looks in great condition.
I never used to use the middle pick myself, infact neither 2nd and 4th positions, but since ive been playing with a strat player I have found that it can be used to great effect. But each and to there own.
Great to see more BSB pics.
What year is it?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:24 PM

Congrats! Nice looking Jem you got yourself there!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Very nice collection, Casper. Congrats
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments..

Yes I enjoy it very much.... Tonight, I'll set it up to me preferences... It should improve a bit....

However I can confirm that recent J-Customs (8470) are better crafted... The frets in particular...

And the AANJ has greatly improved with the years! I'll post pictures to compare the old AANJ and the new one...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper777 View Post
Yep I usually don't like single coils, but the Blue Velvet is just GREAT!..

By magnetic pull, I mean that in upper frets, you can hear the note vibrate in a strange way... I don't know how to explain... It's typical of when string are too close to powerful humbuckers...
In addition the pickups magnets had also been raised.. I'll put them down also...

It's my 3rd Jem actually... I still own a 90 HAM and I sold a JEMDBK several years ago as I hate Breed pickups. I know a lot of people like them I was not happy with it unfortunately.. the DBK neck was also too thin (a super wizard neck, not a JEM one...)
Hmmm I think I understand what you are saying now. Do you have to have your amp loud to hear it ? It's intriging to me the more I think of it. maybe someway to use it like how some use feedback in creative ways. I'll have to experiment with that. Thanks for the info.

By the way, nice collection you have. I really like the JPM the best, though they are all very nice. Also that's one of the best BSBs I've seen, I like that it doesn't have a lot of the burn marks. It looks much better that way IMHO.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Nice, i like mine, although for some reason the evo's just sound like arse, I'd put breeds in it (at least in the neck) and a thicker bridge pickup (brred or the fred works quite nicely) in the bridge, then blue velvet in the middle.

Basically, I also blowtorched mine to make it more burnt as well

But I think the evolutions really do not work that well in this guitar, too thin sounding, but that's just me!

Tags
bridge pickup , super wizard neck , tight bass , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode