New Jem, concerns - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

New Jem, concerns

Hey all, I got a Jem7vw about a month or 2 ago!! SOoooo beautiful! But, I've been playing for about 3 years but I play( i like to think) alot and I was just wondering if you all with you jems play them and practice on them cause I practice on mine and wasn't sure if thats a good idea cause of wear on frets and neck and wear on the trem saddles(on my other ibanez the saddles are shot). Do you all use your jem on a regular basis or just for gigs or once in a while type thing?
thanx,
Nik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 10:01 AM

I use mine all the time, and dont mind 'wear' on a guitar, wat i dont like is when it looks like the guitar has been abused. I personally dont see the point in having a guitar that you dont use or you are afraid to use so i just use mine all the time
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM

I have the same point of view, whats the point of having a guitar that you dont use properly. Obviously no-one likes dings and dents, but if you play your guitar regularly it will always happen!

So just enjoy the guitar, and if you get a few dings and dents in it it doesnt matter. It makes it yours and its there for playing!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 10:25 AM

well i got my jem7vwh 3 monthes ago, 1st i thought that i would practice on my old guitar, and i will record and play live with my jem, then i discovered that practicing on another guitar wont help cos each guitar has its own feel and sound, and u gotta get used to it! so play the hell out of it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:09 AM

IMO, JEMs, while they are very pretty guitars, are meant to be played not put on the wall and admired. My thing is that if you only play the JEM on special occasions, you're going to be used to and more comfortable playing the other guitar. When it comes time to "show off", you'll be at a disadvantage because, in effect, the JEM is your back-up that you only use from time to time.

Also my opinion, but there is no guitar cooler looking than a well used, not abused, guitar. I have a friend who's only guitar is a Les Paul he's probably had for 15 to 20 years. The paint is worn off around the edges of the guitar (particularly where his forearm rests); the finish is worn off on the neck (where he plays most) -- I love it. Look at EVO. OK, well maybe there is some controlled abuse there. We all know how Steve plays...

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:54 AM

I,m with you guys here!! I buy my guitars to PLAY, not just to look at.....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:12 PM

I use it on a daily basis!! This guitar can stand the test of time. If you maintain it well and don't have too sweatty hands, the guitar will be a friend for life.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

yeah JEM!

Thats good to hear! I love playing it its so.....wow. only, on my rg320, i played the hell out of it and then the trem got messed including saddles, never stays in tune now and strings snap constantly...and i can't even look at the trem the wrong way or it goes out of tune. Is there similar problems with the jem? so far i haven't heard it but i'm apprehensive about goin nuts on the whammy(which i love use'n)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:43 PM

Yeah but you gotta remember that a JEM is a considerable step up from an RG320 - lol

Yes of course things like saddles and nuts and bolts get messed up, but they can be easily replaced and cheaply too!

So long as the neck and body are still intact, the rest can be easily replaced.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:22 PM

what i do is take one good look at EVO pictures and then i relize any dent at all i can install on my RG350DX pales in comparison....EVO is one hurt baby...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:55 AM

exactly right, you gotta remember it will take years for your guitar to get as bad as EVO. That has been through years and years of tours and events.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM

I have a fettish for worn chipped 7vwh's. All othre guitars I like in perfect condition.

I play a 7dbk on a daily basis... its indestructable, the body never needs cleaning
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:07 PM

I have 3 different jems. My oldest one a 777DY has the most worn trem I've seen on a jem, but it stays in tune! That's the only thing that counts.

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode